This Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken recipe calls for only a few ingredients and the results are absolutely delicious! With a blend of Mexican flavors and a crunch like no other, chicken never tasted so good! The perfect weeknight dinner or whenever the mood strikes you.
When my son, Patrick was young, he was crazy about chicken strips. What kid doesn’t love chicken strips? As he got older, his tastes changed and so did my recipes. This chicken recipe uses the entire chicken breast. Same great crunch with a lot of Mexican flavors built right in. Goodbye regular chicken strips and hello Mexican!
Just in case this chicken dish isn’t for you I have listed some others below you just might want to have a look at. You can never have too many chicken recipes. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as we do!
These Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken breasts have an amazing flavor and more importantly turn out crunchy without frying! They can be served with anything from salad, to any vegetable side you can think of.
I have even made chicken strips and wrapped them in a tortilla with some lettuce, tomato, taco sauce and more cheese of course! Everyone just loves them. i can’t wait to hear what you think of this easy recipe!
You can also dip these chicken pieces in mayonnaise or melted butter! I have used all of them at different times and this chicken dish always turns out beautifully!
Easy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless,
- 2 tablespoons Taco seasoning (as shown below) or chili powder (as a quick substitute)
- 3 cups crispy fried onions, approximately, depending on chicken breast size
- 2 large eggs, beaten or melted butter or mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded cheese, we use a Mexican blend when possible, more or less to taste
- cooking spray
Taco Seasoning (2 tablespoons total)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano, ground
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil with its rack coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- If making your own Taco seasoning, use 2 tablespoons. Combine all of the spices in large resealable bag and set aside. If using chili powder instead, put that into a large resealable bag.
- Add crispy fried onions to the resealable bag. Lightly crush with a rolling pin or use your fingers. Make sure the seasoning is distributed as evenly as possible. Pour onto a large plate and set aside.
- Decide whether you're making strips or whole chicken breasts. If making strips cut chicken breasts into 3 or 4 strips lengthwise. The total number of strips you have will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Set chicken aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Set aside.
- Dip chicken or chicken strips into egg mixture; then press into the onion/seasoning mixture. Place chicken on baking sheet.
- For strips, bake for about 25 minutes, For whole breasts, bake 35-40 minutes. The chicken is ready when juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Return to oven to melt the cheese or allow cheese to melt while chicken rests for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!