This Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken recipe calls for only a few ingredients and the results are absolutely delicious! With a blend of Mexican flavors and a crunch like no other, chicken never tasted so good! The perfect weeknight dinner or whenever the mood strikes you.
When my son, Patrick was young, he was crazy about chicken strips. What kid doesn't love chicken strips? As he got older, his tastes changed and so did my recipes. This chicken recipe uses the entire chicken breast. Same great crunch with a lot of Mexican flavors built right in. Goodbye regular chicken strips and hello Mexican!
Just in case this chicken dish isn't for you I have listed some others below you just might want to have a look at. You can never have too many chicken recipes. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Perfect Oven Barbecued Chicken
Cheesy Barbecue Bacon Chicken Breast
Balsamic Orange Maple Glazed Chicken
Sweet Balsamic Apple Glazed Chicken Breasts
Bacon or Prosciutto Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Maple Garlic Glazed Chicken Breasts
Crispy Onion Honey Mustard Chicken
Balsamic Raspberry Garlic Chicken
The Best Alice Springs Chicken Copycat
Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken
Cordon Bleu Hasselback Chicken
Quick and Easy Apricot Chicken
Crunchy Barbecue Onion Chicken
These Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken breasts have an amazing flavor and more importantly turn out crunchy without frying! They can be served with anything from salad, to any vegetable side you can think of.
I have even made chicken strips and wrapped them in a tortilla with some lettuce, tomato, taco sauce and more cheese of course! Everyone just loves them. i can't wait to hear what you think of this easy recipe!
You can also dip these chicken pieces in mayonnaise or melted butter! I have used all of them at different times and this chicken dish always turns out beautifully!
Easy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Mexican Tacos)
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Beef Hash
Easy Slow Cooker Taco Chicken and Rice
Taco Zucchini Beef and Pork Skillet
Easy Crunchy Mexican Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless,
- 2 tablespoons Taco seasoning (as shown below) or chili powder (as a quick substitute)
- 3 cups crispy fried onions, approximately, depending on chicken breast size
- 2 large eggs, beaten or melted butter or mayonnaise
- ½ cup shredded cheese, we use a Mexican blend when possible, more or less to taste
- cooking spray
Taco Seasoning (2 tablespoons total)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano, ground
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil with its rack coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- If making your own Taco seasoning, use 2 tablespoons. Combine all of the spices in large resealable bag and set aside. If using chili powder instead, put that into a large resealable bag.
- Add crispy fried onions to the resealable bag. Lightly crush with a rolling pin or use your fingers. Make sure the seasoning is distributed as evenly as possible. Pour onto a large plate and set aside.
- Decide whether you're making strips or whole chicken breasts. If making strips cut chicken breasts into 3 or 4 strips lengthwise. The total number of strips you have will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Set chicken aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Set aside.
- Dip chicken or chicken strips into egg mixture; then press into the onion/seasoning mixture. Place chicken on baking sheet.
- For strips, bake for about 25 minutes, For whole breasts, bake 35-40 minutes. The chicken is ready when juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Return to oven to melt the cheese or allow cheese to melt while chicken rests for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The coating on this chicken is so delicious. I had to use more cheese but I use more cheese on everything. LOL Thank you for recipe
Karin and Ken
You are not the only one who tends to use too much cheese! I am guilty of that myself! I love the coating too! So glad we are not the only ones who enjoy this recipe! Take care and enjoy the rest of your day! Karin
Made chicken strips and everybody gobbled them up. No leftovers at all. THANK YOU for sharing I will be making this again.
Karin and Ken
Strips are a great way to make this recipe! Perfect for dipping or just eating them as they are! I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to let me know! Take care and all the best. Karin
These chicken breasts tasted so good I am going to try them with thighs next! Thank you for sharing this great recipe.
Karin and Ken
They are great with thighs too! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed them! It always makes my day when someone likes the recipes on this site. Take care and all the best. Karin
Carb counts for these recipes
Karin and Ken
I am in the process of getting that set up. I apologize for not getting it done sooner. I have over 500 recipes and have to do each one individually! I apologize for not having a clue at this point. Again your patience is appreciated! All the best. Karin