Cheesy taco egg rolls are full of ground meat, onions, peppers, salsa, refried beans, and of course, cheese! Every bite is perfection! Whether deep-fried, air fried, or baked, they're loaded with flavor, making them the ideal snack or appetizer for Taco night.
This is a variation of our favorite cheeseburger egg rolls.
It's a versatile recipe that you can make as spicy as you want using any ground meat! I love them with a combination of ground beef and ground pork.
You can use any of your favorite taco toppings! You are only limited by your imagination!
They are delicious! Awesome as a snack and so quick and easy to create. They can be fried or baked.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- An easy way to use up leftover ingredients from other recipes such as cooked ground meats, vegetables, and salsa!
- Easy to prepare!
- Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or an appetizer to serve at your next gathering.
- An economical dish that uses basic ingredients you likely already have on hand in your pantry or refrigerator making it easy on your budget
Here's a look at the main ingredients you need! Be sure to check the recipe card for the full list and quantities of each.
- Ground meat: These work great with ground chicken, turkey, beef, pork, or sausage.
- Veggies: We're adding onion and sweet peppers for added flavor.
- Salsa: Added to the egg roll filling but have some extra for serving too! Storebought makes it easier but I love homemade salsa too!
- Beans: Our favorite is refried beans. But you can also use black beans, white beans, or pinto beans.
- Taco seasoning: An easy spice blend for adding taco flavor. You can use storebought or homemade.
- Egg roll wrappers:
- Cheese: Taco egg rolls can be made using sliced cheese or shredded cheese.
Substitutions and Variations
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this taco rolls recipe.
- Prefer Without Refried Beans? No problem leave them out or swap them for cooked rice.
- Salsa: Experiment with different flavors such as this green verde salsa or Taco Bell diablo sauce.
- No Taco Seasoning? Use chili powder instead.
- Cheese: Use any flavor of cheese including cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or your favorite.
- Spicy - Add some of our jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the meat mixture for a bit of heat.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these other unique egg roll recipes.
How to Make Taco Egg Rolls
These taco rolls go together in a snap! Here are the highlights but be sure to check the recipe card before you start cooking.
- Brown the ground meat and onions in a skillet until no pink remains.
- Add the peppers, taco seasoning, and water to the pan.
- Cook until the water evaporates and the mixture thickens.
- Lay each egg roll wrapper out in front of you like a diamond.
- Add the refried beans to the middle of the egg roll wrapper and top with cheese.
- Add two tablespoons of the meat mixture and one teaspoon of salsa in the center of each wrapper.
- Fold in the sides and then roll the wrapper tightly. Moisten tip with a bit of water and press to seal.
- Place the egg rolls seam-side down on a greased cookie sheet and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Bake the egg rolls for 8 minutes and then flip them over. Bake for 8 minutes more. Serve them up with sour cream and salsa.
Leftovers: Let them cool completely before placing them into freezer-safe bags or containers. Store them in the fridge for up to four days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Reheat: When ready to reheat, simply defrost the desired amount in your refrigerator overnight. Bake them for 8 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit or until heated through.
Make Ahead: After rolling and sealing each egg roll individually, place them in a container in a single layer for up to 24 hours. Top with a damp paper towel to prevent drying out. Bake on a greased cookie sheet as directed when you're ready.
How to Serve
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped cilantro for more flavor!
- Choose from our what to serve with carne asada list of favorite sides when you need an idea or two.
- Serve with some sour cream, more salsa, and guacamole for dipping!
- They go great with other Mexican-flavored appetizers such as air fryer taquitos, fajita nachos, or nacho fries.
- Brush each egg roll lightly with olive oil on both sides before baking! This not only keeps them from sticking but it also helps them brown and crisp up nicely.
- Make sure to finely chop the onions and peppers to prevent a bulking filling for the egg roll wrappers.
- Seal any small openings along the edges with water so that they don’t unravel while cooking.
- Make sure to use a generous amount of filling so they are packed and full when you roll them up.
You can any type of ground meat such as chicken, turkey, beef, pork, or sausage.
Yes, you can still make delicious taco egg rolls without cheese.
Yes! Feel free to experiment with different types and colors of peppers such as jalapenos, poblano peppers, or even bell peppers if desired.
Yes, refried beans are an optional ingredient for this recipe. It is not necessary to include them in the egg rolls if you do not wish to do so.
Easy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Do you like Mexican Inspired Recipes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Easy Taco Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or, ground sausage
- cooking spray
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper
- ½ red pepper
- 1 medium jar salsa
- 1 small can refried beans optional
- 1 pkg taco seasoning or 3 tblsp
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- 10 slices cheddar cheese or 2 cups shredded
- sour cream for dipping
- cilantro, fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay each egg roll wrapper out in front of you like a diamond.
- Brown ground meat and onions until no pink remains. Add peppers, taco seasoning and water as required. Cook until water evaporates and mixture thickens.
- Smear refried beans on middle of egg roll wrapper. Place slice of cheese or 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese on top.
- Add 2 tablespoons of meat mixture in the center of each wrapper. Top with 1 heaping teaspoon of salsa. Flatten pile slightly with a spoon. Fold in the sides and roll the wrapper tightly. Moisten tip with a bit of water and press to seal. Check the egg roll wrapper package for more detailed instructions.
- Place egg rolls seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Brush egg rolls with olive oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Flip over. Bake for 8 minutes more.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Air Fry at 400ºF for 12 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil until hot (around 350 degrees). I usually flick a drop of water in it. If the drop of water dances then your oil should be ready to go! Fry egg rolls in the oil until golden brown and crispy (30 seconds to a minute). Flip the egg rolls over and move them around to ensure even cooking. Remove from skillet, shake off excess oil, and place on cooling rack or on paper towel for a minute.
This post was originally published November 2015. It has been updated with new content and images.