These copycat Taco Bell nacho fries are full of the delicious, cheesy goodness that we love about the original, but they’re even better! They’re totally homemade and full of cheesy, spicy goodness.
I’ve been in love with Taco Bell’s nacho fries since they first introduced them. I mean nachos, plus fries? That equals heaven. I decided to make my own version, and it’s absolutely fantastic.
Copycat Taco Bell Nacho Fries
This was inspired by my other Taco Bell copycat recipe on this site. I figured it I could master the Gordita Crunch, I’d have no problem with these nacho fries, and I was right.
It only takes a few ingredients to make these delicious fries. You’ll need some potatoes, and the rest is mostly just spices.
- Russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Potato starch
- Smoked paprika
- Chli powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Salted butter
- Heavy cream
See the recipe card at the end of the post for amounts and cooking times.
There are several steps to this recipe, but non of them is hard so don’t be overwhelmed. When you break it down, the recipe is actually very simple and easy to make!
Step 1: Boil Jalapeno
Add one jalapeno to a saucepan with one cup of water and boil for ten minutes.
Step 2: Prep the Potatoes
While the jalapeno is boiling, peel the potatoes and cut them into equal-sized ½″ pieces. Toss the potatoes in olive oil and potato starch.
Step 3: Air Fry
Place the fries into an air fryer basket sprayed lightly with canola oil and air fry. After 10 minutes, shake the basket to redistribute the fries and cook for 10 more minutes.
Step 4: Puree the Jalapeno
Remove the jalapeno from the sauce pan and remove the stem with a gentle tug. Then, place the jalapeno in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of water from the saucepan and puee.
Step 5: Make the Nacho Cheese Sauce
Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the pureed jalapeno, cheddar cheese, butter, and heavy cream. Heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
Step 6: Make the Fry Seasoning
In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt, mixing well. Season the fries generously.
Step 7: Enjoy
Serve the seasoned fries alongside the nacho cheese sauce and enjoy.
Hint: Be sure to spray your air fryer basket with canola oil or non-stick spray to keep your fries from sticking.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change these copycat Taco Bell nacho fries.
- Red Potatoes – If you don’t have russet potatoes, red potatoes work very well.
- Sweet Potatoes – To add a bit of a twist and extra health benefits, use sweet potatoes.
- Milk – If you don’t have heavy cream, whole or 2% milk will work.
Want to personalize this Taco Bell nacho fries recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Don’t Peel – If you like potato skins, simply leave them on. They add a great flavor.
- Thick-Cut – Think Taco Bell steak fries and cut your potatoes thick.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these Italian nachos.
You don’t need much to make this recipe. It only takes a few common kitchen items.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor
These fries and their accompanying nacho sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about four days.
Although this is a simple recipe, I have some tips that will make it even easier for you. Take a look!
- To keep your potatoes from turning brown, place them in cold water as you cut them up.
- Preheat your air fryer for best results. Many people think you don’t have to, but it makes a difference.
More Potato Recipes
Do you like potatoes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about copycat Taco Bell nacho fries? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about Taco Bell nacho fries.
You can store the fries and the nacho cheese in the refrigerator for about four days.
You microwave the fries and nacho cheese until hot. You can also place the fries on a baking sheet and bake at 325 until hot or air fry them for a couple of minutes until hot.
I don’t recommend it. The texture will never be the same.
They taste almost exactly like the original, except they’re even better!
Absolutely. Red potatoes will work, as will Yukon Gold potatoes. You can even use sweet potatoes if you like.
Copycat Taco Bell Nacho Fries
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Homemade Taco Bell Nacho Fries Air Fryer
- 6 russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp potato starch
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ pound cheddar cheese 8 oz
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 jalapeno
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Add jalapeno to a saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into equal sized ½” pieces.
- Until done.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380* for 5 minutes
- Place cut french fries in large bowl.
- Using tongs, toss potatoes with olive oil.
- And potato starch.
- Until evenly distributed.
- Place into the air fryer basket and spray lightly with canola oil. Cook for 10 minutes, then lightly shake the basket to redistribute the fries. Cook for 10 minutes longer. (20 minutes total)
- Measure out all of your seasonings.
- Combine in a small bowl.
- Prepare nacho cheese sauce. Remove jalapeno from the saucepan and remove the stem. It should be removed easily with a gentle tug. Place jalapeno into a food processor with 1 tbsp of water from the saucepan and puree. Heat a saucepan over low heat.
- Add pureed jalapeno, cheddar cheese, butter, and heavy cream. Stir periodically as everything melts together. Once melted, pour into a dipping bowl.
- Remove cooked fries from the air fryer.
- Place inside large bowl.
- Season fries generously with the seasoning. Use tongs to toss.
- Until seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Serve hot with nacho cheese dip.
- Enjoy every bite!