Slow Cooker Taco Chicken and Rice is the easiest meal to make! The entire dinner cooks in your slow cooker! All you need is to add on a vegetable side or salad to complete the meal and that is it! It's guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser!
This is one of my favorite simple dishes we make during the week! It's so flexible and sometimes I even shred the chicken and throw the contents into a tortilla or taco shell with some cheese as well!
Cooking meals is a game changer! It's really one of the easiest methods to use for cooking meals. If you love this recipe you definitely need to try slow cooker beef tips, pork carnitas in the crockpot, or chicken paprikash!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It's easy to make with very little prep time.
- The flavors blend perfectly for a delicious, hearty meal everyone will love.
- Customize the toppings and spices in the recipe to your liking or dietary restrictions.
- Leftovers are great as burritos or tacos.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. The main ones are listed here, but you'll find the complete list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Chicken Breasts: You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Onion: Use your favorite. All onions work in this recipe.
- Peppers: Bell peppers are classics in most taco bakes.
- Diced Tomatoes: Using canned diced tomatoes makes this a dump-and-cook meal. You can use your favorite variety or flavor of diced tomatoes.
- Uncooked Long-Grain Rice: This recipe can also be made using brown rice as well.
- Chicken Broth: An easy way to boost the flavor in this easy slow cooker chicken recipe.
- Taco Seasoning: To boost the taco flavor but if you don't have it use an equal amount of chili powder and cumin instead.
- Cheese: Colby, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, cotija, or queso fresco all taste great in this recipe.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
- Spicy: Add a teaspoon of chili pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, sliced or diced jalapeno peppers, jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the mixture to imbue heat into the dish.
- Vegetarian: Swap the chicken with beans, veggies, or your favorite plant-based meat crumbles.
- Add More Meat: Swap the chicken for cooked crumbled ground beef or chorizo sausage.
- Add Veggies: If you're looking to add a bit more to this dish consider adding corn, zucchini, black beans, pinto beans, more bell pepper, or sweet potatoes.
How to Make Mexican Crockpot Chicken
This dish goes together in just a few minutes and then cooks throughout the day. Here's a look at the main steps.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Add the veggies on top.
- Add the rice and broth to the pot.
- Finish it off with all the spices and then stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Continue cooking until the cheese is melted.
Hint: Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces so that it cooks faster and more evenly in the slow cooker.
If you love recipes with these flavors, you may also enjoy our Slow Cooker Mexican tacos with pork carnitas recipe.
- Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
- Reheat: Place the chicken and rice in a baking dish, cover, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the ingredients in your slow cooker up to a day in advance and store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this dish for dinner!
- If you want extra creaminess, add a dollop of sour cream before serving.
- Serve this slow cooker chicken and rice with your favorite toppings such as diced avocado, pico de gallo, lettuce, or sour cream.
- For added crunch and flavor, top your Mexican chicken and rice with crushed tortilla chips before serving!
- Add a salad such as this bell pepper salad.
- Serve up some air fryer taquitos as a starter!
Do you want your guests crawling back for more? To do this, add a side dish or two by checking out What to Serve With Coq Au Vin. This will provide you with many mouthwatering ideas to take your dish to the next level.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces so that it cooks faster and more evenly in the slow cooker.
- Make sure not to overfill your slow cooker more than two-thirds full for best results.
- Be sure to stir all ingredients together before cooking to distribute the flavors.
- Use long-grain rice for better texture as other types (such as basmati) may cook too quickly or unevenly in a slow cooker recipe like this one.
Yes! Replace the chicken with plant-based meat substitutes, black beans or chickpeas, and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Use vegan cheese on top to make it vegan.
Long-grain white rice is the best choice as other types may cook too quickly or unevenly in a slow cooker recipe like this one.
Yes, frozen chicken breasts will work but may require slightly longer cooking time. Always make sure to cook until the chicken is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
More Easy Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Do you like Mexican food? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken and Rice
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large peppers chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, canned not drained
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pkg (1 oz) taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheese shredded (if desired)
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle onions and peppers over top. Add diced tomatoes, rice, broth, Taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Stir until blended.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4. Sprinkle cheese over top when serving if desired!
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces so that it cooks faster and more evenly in the slow cooker. Make sure not to overfill your slow cooker more than two-thirds full for best results. Be sure to stir all ingredients together before cooking to distribute the flavors. Use long-grain rice for better texture as other types (such as basmati) may cook too quickly or unevenly in a slow cooker recipe like this one. What to Serve With Coq Au Vin will show you some amazing side dish ideas to elevate your dish.
This post was originally published in March 2018. It has been updated with new images and content.