This Cheesy Taco Meatloaf recipe is handy to have around because the dish is hugely popular and so easy to make. No matter which ground meat you use, the meatloaf tastes fantastic! A definite family favorite and always a crowd pleaser!
As I said, not only is this Cheesy Taco Meatloaf easy to make, the leftovers, if there are any, taste just as good. Perfect in a sandwich or crumbled up in tacos or burritos! At least according to my husband and son. My son especially, loves to take leftovers to work in a sandwich or burrito and this is one of his favorites!
You have the option to use any ground meat you desire when making this Cheesy Taco Meatloaf! I frequently combine ground turkey and pork. I find the ground pork keeps the ground turkey super moist and no one ever notices the difference! That being said, if I only have ground beef on hand I just use that!
The addition of nacho flavored Doritos, or whichever flavor you prefer, and I am not getting paid to say this, adds such great flavor to the meatloaf! Just crush them up well, add them and they help hold the meat together, so much better than bread crumbs!
Easy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Mexican Tacos)
Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Beef Hash
Easy Slow Cooker Taco Chicken and Rice
Taco Zucchini Beef and Pork Skillet
Ingredients for Cheesy Taco Meatloaf
- ground chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or, ground sausage
- taco seasoning
- garlic powder
- taco sauce
- sour cream, for serving, if desired
How do you make Taco Meatloaf?
In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, salsa, crushed Doritos, taco seasoning, onion, cumin, garlic powder, and eggs.
Stir until just blended together.
Press ½ of your meatloaf mixture into your prepared pan. Make sure to reach the edges of your pan.
Gently place and press shredded cheese into the middle of the meat mixture leaving a 1 inch border or around the edge.
Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture. Press to seal edges.
Press your meatloaf mixture into your prepared pan. Make sure to reach the edges of your pan.
Finishing it off
Brush taco sauce or salsa all over the top of the loaf.
Remove loaf from oven and brush more taco sauce or salsa on top of the loaf.
Sprinkle remaining crushed Doritos on top of taco sauce or salsa. Add shredded cheese, as much or as little as you want.
Return your meatloaf to your oven and bake some more!
All meatloaf to rest and then slice and serve!
Can You Freeze Meatloaf?
You most definitely can! I frequently make 2 and freeze one so I always have one ready to go! You can freeze your entire meatloaf or slices, whichever is easier or more preferable for you.
If you freeze an entire meatloaf, before or after it is cooked, I don't recommend sprinkling crushed Doritos or shredded cheese on top until you are reheating it to serve, if at all possible.
Simply remove the meatloaf from your freezer the night before and just leave it in your fridge to defrost. When you are ready to reheat it or bake, simply cover the meatloaf in more salsa or taco sauce, sprinkle Doritos all over and cover the Doritos in as much or as little shredded cheese as you want!
Slices are also wonderful for a quick dinner or to make easy sandwiches. It is so easy to defrost and heat a slice in the microwave.
You also have the option to place your defrosted meatloaf slices on a baking sheet. After warming them up, brush on a layer of taco sauce on each slice and broil for a few minutes until the sauce is bubbly. You can easily flip over each slice and brush some taco sauce all over the other flat side of the meatloaf. Boy oh boy do these make a fabulous sandwich or served with some sides for dinner!
Can you make Meatloaf ahead of time?
Absolutely! I have, on more than one occasion, cooked a meatloaf on the weekend and served it 2 or even 3 days later for dinner. I always add more salsa or taco sauce, the Doritos and cheese on top of the meatloaf on the night I am serving it.
I don't recommend leaving an uncooked meatloaf, ready to bake, in your fridge for more than one day. I have made meatloaf the day before I wanted it and left it raw, in my fridge, overnight. I wouldn't leave it much longer than that though.
Can I Cook Meatloaf in a Slow Cooker?
You bet you can! If you want to cook this meatloaf in your crock pot or slow cooker, here is what I do.
Shape your meatloaf as desired.
Place tinfoil lengthwise, across my slow cooker, until it hangs over the sides. Then I do the same the other way.
I spray the tinfoil with cooking spray, place meatloaf inside and coat with salsa or taco sauce.
Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
Then I remove the meatloaf from the slow cooker using the tinfoil as handles if you will. I place the cooked meatloaf, without the tinfoil, on a baking sheet and turn the oven to broil.
While the oven is heating I cover the meatloaf with salsa or taco sauce and then cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Meatloaf Recipes to Try
The Best Bacon Wrapped Pork Meatloaf
I had to make a video for this Cheesy Taco Meatloaf. This recipe belongs in your arsenal! I hope you have a moment to take a look!
Cheesy Taco Meatloaf Video
Cheesy Taco Meatloaf
- 2 pounds ground chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or ground sausage
- ¾ cup salsa
- 3 cups Doritos, nachos or another flavor, finely-crushed and divided
- 3 tblsp homemade Taco seasoning or 1 package
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 tblsp cumin, ground
- 1 tblsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup Taco sauce
- 2 cups cheese, shredded, more or less as you desire
- sour cream, for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, ¾ cup salsa, 2 cups crushed Doritos, taco seasoning, onions, cumin, garlic powder and eggs.
- Using your hands, mix ingredients until combined.
- Press ½ of the meatloaf mixture into prepared pan. Be sure to reach the edges of the pan. Gently place and press enough shredded cheese to cover the meatloaf into the middle of the meat mixture, leaving a 1 inch border around the edges. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture. Press to seal edges.
- Press meatloaf mixture into prepared pan. Make sure it reaches the edges of the pan.
FINISHING IT OFF
- Brush Taco sauce or salsa all over the top of the loaf.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove loaf from oven and brush more Taco sauce or salsa on top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed Doritos on top. Add shredded cheese, as much or as little as you like.
- Return meatloaf to oven and bake for another 20 or 25 minutes. Using a meat thermometer, confirm that it's cooked and has reached a temperature of 160 degrees.
- Allow meatloaf to rest for about 10 minutes; if not a little longer. Place on a serving platter.
- Cut into slices and serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply