Nothing is better than a warm tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs with a blend of Mexican flavors and Monterey Jack cheese. This taco breakfast burrito recipe is the perfect way to jazz up your breakfast or brunch!!
It's easy to adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes and use up ingredients you have on hand!
Skip the Taco Bell breakfast burritos and make your own at home! They're easy to make and work great for meal prep too.
Why You Will Love Breakfast Wraps Recipe
- Quick and easy to prepare!
- Make ahead of time for an even faster morning routine.
- Kid-friendly but adults love them too.
- Easy to customize with your favorite ingredients.
- Affordable ingredients for a budget-friendly meal.
Here's a look at the main ingredients to make your own breakfast burritos at home! Just remember that many of the ingredients are completely flexible so you can mix and match as you like!
- Flour tortillas: Use the large sized flour tortillas as they're easier to wrap into burritos. You can use regular, whole wheat, or even gluten-free.
- Eggs: Scrambled eggs make these burritos perfect for breakfast.
- Cheese: Use Monterey jack cheese, , Colby, and cheddar are my favorite shredded cheese to use with Mexican flavors but you can also use gouda Swiss cheese, gruyere, havarti, or mozzarella.
- Pico de gallo: A chunky tomato salad made with fresh chopped tomatoes, onions, lime juice, and cilantro. It adds a burst of flavor to the dish.
- Fresh cilantro: For more fresh, herby flavors.
- Radish: I love the crunch of radish on tacos and burritos.
- Jalapenos: Totally optional but it adds a bit of heat.
- Avocado: Perfect for adding a bit healthy fat and creamy texture to your breakfast burritos but you can also use guacamole if you want.
- Refried beans: Leave them off or use black beans, pinto beans, or Mexican rice instead.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this breakfast burrito recipe.
- Pico de Gallo: Use salsa instead! Try our smoked salsa, copycat Taco Bell green salsa, or diablo sauce instead.
- Add Vegetables: Add baby spinach, baby kale, sauteed zucchini, green onions, shredded cabbage, or shredded carrots.
- Add Meat: Add leftover taco meat, crumbled chorizo sausage, bacon or ham.
- Spicy: Want them even spicier then some of our jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the egg mixture for a bit of heat. You can also serve up our homemade hot pepper sauce on the table as well.
- Turn these into breakfast tacos! Use small tortillas and serve them up without wrapping along with your favorite toppings.
- Sides: We usually refer to our what to serve with carne asada list of favorite sides when we need an idea.
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
Here's an overview of the main steps that go into making the best breakfast burritos. It's pretty straightforward and doesn't take much time.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs to a hot pan and scramble. Once cooked to your liking, turn off the heat and cover the pan to keep eggs warm.
- Prepare a burrito station. Start with the beans, sliced radishes, jalapenos, chopped cilantro, and mashed guacamole on top of your flour tortilla.
- Add the shredded cheese on top and pico de gallo.
- Add the scrambled eggs on top of everything.
- Fold in the sides.
- Start rolling the burrito from one end as tightly as possible.
- Keep rolling until it's tightly wrapped.
PRO TIP: You can heat the tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave to make them easier to roll. Sometimes the tortillas break apart and heating them helps to make them softer and more pliable.
- Place the burritos seam side down on the hot pan. Cook until each side is golden brown.
- Serve with any other burrito condiments you like such as sour cream and salsa!
This dish is perfect on its own, but add a side dish and it will be to die for. Find inspiration at What to Serve With Jambalaya.
Refrigerator: Place the breakfast burritos in an airtight container or wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap and place it into a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw them out in the fridge overnight.
Reheat: Reheating breakfast wraps can be done quickly in the microwave or in the oven if you have more time. If you prefer the microwave, unwrap a burrito and place it onto a plate covered with a damp paper towel. Heat on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds and then check to see if its heated through. If not give it additional 30 second bursts until its hot throughout. Alternatively, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and bake wrapped burrito in foil for 15 minutes until piping hot.
Make Ahead: For make ahead breakfast burritos, prepare all of your ingredients but do not assemble until you're ready to eat. Store everything separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator and assemble when you're ready to eat. This way you can make fresh breakfast burritos every morning quickly and easily.
Here are my top tips to make sure your breakfast burritos turn out great!
- Use fresh tortillas or heat them a bit so they don't break when rolling up your burritos.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the skillet and flip your burritos often so that they don’t burn or stick to the pan.
- Feel free to change up the ingredients to your own tastes!
- Roll up your burritos tightly so they stay together.
Yes, of course especially when made with scrambled eggs and other burrito fillings! It makes a hearty breakfast and is perfect to carry with you on the go too!
The trick is to not overstuff the burrito with ingredients and roll it up tightly. Place them seam side down in the pan first and then cook the other side.
More Breakfast Recipes
Do you like all in one breakfasts? Here some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Taco Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- Utensils spatula, wooden spoon, and fork
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add eggs to a medium mixing bowl and whisk well. Add to the hot pan and scramble. Once cooked to your liking, turn off the heat and cover the pan to keep eggs warm.
- If you haven't done so already, thinly slice the radishes and jalapenos. Cut the avocado into small pieces and add to a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper, then mash until smooth.
- Prepare a burrito station. Add shredded cheese, pico de gallo, cilantro, radish, jalapenos, avocado, and beans to individual serving dishes to make prep a breeze.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat with a dash of cooking oil.
- Now let's make the burrito! Spread about 2 tablespoon of refried beans down the center of the tortilla, stopping 1” from the edge.
- Place radish and Jalapeno slices in a row up the middle of the refried beans, and sprinkle cilantro over the top.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoon of mashed avocado, in a row, next to the refried beans, beside the radishes and Jalapeno. Top with 2 tablespoon of pico de gallo.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the salsa, then add 2-3 tablespoon of scrambled eggs on top of everything.
- Fold in the sides and roll up the burrito, as tightly as possible. *If tortillas aren't fresh and keep breaking apart, try heating them for a few seconds in the microwave.*
- Place burritos seam side down onto the hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown, then flip. Cook a few minutes more.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired. Enjoy!
This post was originally published January 2017. it has been updated with new content and images.