The Best Breakfast Taquitos are made with meat, cheese, and your favorite vegetables. It's truly the easiest morning snack ever going straight from your freezer to the microwave!
These frozen breakfast taquitos are sure to be a hit every time you serve them! They make a quick and easy weekday meal that will make your mornings a breeze!
Need more easy recipes for the morning? Try this tater tot breakfast bake, breakfast burritos, and twisted bacon recipe.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It's an easy-to-make breakfast or brunch dish that can be enjoyed by the entire family.
- It's a great way to use up any leftovers or ingredients you have on hand in the fridge.
- A versatile yet flavorful option for any time of day.
- They freeze beautifully.
This simple recipe only requires a few ingredients and can be found at your local market.
- Flour tortillas: Use large-sized tortillas for the best results. They make rolling them up a little easier.
- Eggs: Everyone's favorite breakfast protein!
- Meat: We're using both breakfast sausage and crispy bacon. But of course, you could choose one or the other.
- Cheddar cheese: Adds great cheesy flavor!
- Veggies: Sweet bell peppers, white onions, and baby spinach work great but like other parts of the recipe it's completely flexible.
- Cream cheese and sour cream: Create a creamy base for an easy dip to serve with your breakfast taquitos.
- Chunky salsa: Mixed with the cheese and sour cream to add some spice to the dip for the taquitos.
See the recipe card for the full list and quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this breakfast taquito recipe.
- Large Flour Tortillas: Corn tortillas, whole wheat tortillas, or your favorite flavor of tortilla.
- Large Eggs: Use egg whites for a lower-cholesterol egg option!
- Breakfast Sausage and Bacon: Leave it out or you can use turkey bacon or chicken sausage instead.
- Cheddar Cheese: Use Swiss cheese, Gruyere, goat cheese, Monterey jack cheese, Feta, Mozzarella, or Gouda instead.
- Make it spicy: Add a sprinkling of chili pepper flakes, diced jalapeno, or serrano pepper. You can also sprinkle in a bit of jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the egg mixture for a bit of heat. You can also drizzle some of our homemade hot pepper sauce, or your favorite hot sauce, on top of fillings before rolling for an extra spicy taquito.
- More Stuff: Add black beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, or diced mushrooms to the filling for more flavor and texture.
- Sour Cream Dip: Skip the dip and serve with tomato salsa or guacamole instead.
How to Make Breakfast Taquitos
This recipe is super easy and I'm certain it will be in your regular rotation in no time. Let's look at the main steps!
Before you get started, cook the bacon and brown the sausages and also prep all your other ingredients.
PRO TIP: Use the same pan you used to cook the breakfast meats for scrambling the eggs to infuse them with more flavor and save on dishes.
- Cook the peppers and onions in a splash of olive oil until they're tender.
- Add the eggs to a bowl with the milk, salt, and pepper. Stir together with a whisk.
- Add the eggs to the skillet used to cook the bacon and sausage. Stir frequently to make them scrambled eggs.
- Add spinach and one cup of cheese to the eggs about 2 minutes before the eggs are done cooking.
PRO TIP: Use your spatula to break up and crumble the scrambled eggs as much as possible. This will prevent taquitos from being lumpy.
- Warm the tortillas in your microwave for 20 seconds or so to make rolling the taquitos easier.
- Add the scrambled eggs in a line down the center of the tortilla.
- Place the bacon and sausage on top of the egg.
PRO TIP: The fillings can go all the way to the edge of the tortilla on one end but be sure to stop about a half inch from the edge on the opposite side.
- Add the peppers, onions, and cheese on top of the eggs.
- Fold the bottom edge up and roll the tortilla into a tight long cylinder.
- Place each taquito seam side down onto a foil-lined baking sheet pan. Spray the top of each with cooking spray and sprinkle with a dash or two of salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip and bake for 4-5 more minutes or until the edges start to turn brown.
- Mix together the sour cream, chili powder, salsa, and cream cheese with a whisk.
- Remove the taquitos from the oven and let them stand for at least 5 minutes or longer for little children. The cheese can get hot!
- Serve with your dipping sauce.
Hint: Roll each taquito as tightly as possible to prevent any fillings from spilling out during cooking or eating.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these Taco Bell taquitos too.
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Freezer: For an easy frozen breakfast, place the taquitos on a baking sheet and freeze for an hour. Once solid, wrap each freezer-friendly unbaked taquito in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place taquitos on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes. Flip them over halfway through the cooking time and continue cooking until heated through and crispy on the outside. If they're frozen, extend the baking time to 12-14 minutes or heated through.
- Make Ahead: To make ahead of time, assemble all of your ingredients as instructed above but do not bake the taquitos yet. Place assembled taquitos on a parchment-lined baking sheet and store them covered in the fridge until needed.
What to Serve with Breakfast Taquitos
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Garnish with chopped scallions, cilantro leaves, or jalapeno slices.
- Serve the breakfast taquito with a salad with fruit, old-fashioned fruit salad, or some fresh fruit.
- Air fryer breakfast potatoes make a tasty side dish!
Here is a list of tips to help make sure this recipe turns out perfectly every time you make it.
- Create a station to make more than one taquito at a time to make the process more efficient.
- Warm tortillas in a microwave before rolling them up to make them easier to roll up.
- Roll as tightly as possible to prevent any fillings from spilling out during cooking or eating.
- Place seam side down onto the baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking oil before baking so they turn out golden brown and crispy.
- Let stand for at least five minutes (or longer for children) after removing from the oven so the cheese doesn’t burn anyone’s mouth when they take a bite.
- Be sure that the fillings are not more than one inch wide so they are the right size.
Do you have questions about breakfast taquitos? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about them.
Heat a skillet over medium heat to cook your bacon and brown sausages. Once they are done cooking you can slice each piece in half widthwise. It's recommended that you use the same pan to scramble your eggs as it can add an extra flavor dimension to them.
Make sure to press firmly on each filled side when rolling up your tortilla shells and assemble them close together on the baking sheet seam side down. This will create additional tension which helps keep everything in place while baking.
More Tortilla Recipes
Do you like flour tortillas? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
The BEST Breakfast Taquitos
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 bacon slices cooked
- 6 oz breakfast sausage brown and serve cooked sausage links
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced (any color)
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet covered in tinfoil, lightly coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon and brown sausages and slice each in half widthwise. Set aside. *I suggest using the same pan to scramble the eggs to add a delicious flavor to the eggs and save on dishes!
- Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add a splash of olive oil and swirl to coat. Add peppers and onions and saute for 10 minutes.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and combine with milk, salt, and pepper. Pour into the skillet used to cook the bacon/sausage and scramble. Add spinach and 1 cup cheese to the eggs about 2 minutes before the eggs are done cooking. Once eggs are done, use your spatula to break up and crumble the scrambled eggs as much as possible. This will prevent taquitos from being lumpy.
- Warm tortillas in your microwave for 20 seconds or so to make rolling the taquitos easier, if needed. If possible try to create a station where you can make more than 1 taquito at a time
- Add scrambled eggs in a line down the center of the tortilla. The fillings can go all the way to the edge of the tortilla on one end, but stop ½” from the edge on the opposite side. Add bacon, sausage, peppers, onions, and cheese alongside/ on top of the eggs. In any order. Just be sure that the fillings are not more than 1” wide.
- Fold the bottom edge up and roll the tortilla into a tight long cylinder. Roll each taquito as tightly as possible.
- Place each taquito seam side down onto your prepared baking sheet and spray each top with cooking spray. sprinkle a dash or two of salt over the top and put in the oven on the center rack.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip and bake 4-5 more minutes, or until the edges start to turn brown. These tortilla shells should harden in the oven and feel crisp.
- While your taquitos are in the oven grab a small bowl and combine sour cream, chili powder, salsa and cream cheese. Whisk until smooth.
- Remove taquitos from the oven and let stand for at least 5 minutes, longer for little children. The cheese can get hot! Serve with your dipping sauce.
This post was originally published September 2016. It has been updated with new content and images.
Leave a Reply