Easy Jalapeno Popper Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts, wrapped in bacon or prosciutto, taste amazing and are the perfect weeknight dinner!
Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
As I write this post, it’s getting close to the holidays and I’m trying to wrap (no pun intended)? my head around what to serve instead of the traditional ham or turkey.
Images of chicken, bacon and cheese popped into my head and instantly I knew bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed chicken was the answer!
Just look at this gorgeous cream cheese stuffed chicken picture! It was one of the first images I ever posted and I can honestly say I’m proud of it. This cream cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe got a lot of attention. Needless to say, I can’t take it down.
Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Cream cheese itself needs little introduction. It’s creamy, mild taste makes sweet and savory dishes so desirable and this bacon or prosciutto wrapped cream cheese stuffed chicken is just one fine example. Cream cheese stuffed chicken breast recipes like this can leave the standard ham and turkey dishes in the proverbial dust!
Not that I’m knocking turkey and ham. They’ve graced my table many times and I’m grateful they’re in my life. Had a hankering for chicken this time and what better way to fancy it up than with cream cheese and bacon!
Although plain cream cheese works really well in this recipe, so does the flavored versions like Jalapeno, chives and onion and herb and garlic. These are a few that come to mind. I’m sure there are plenty of others.
Should I use Bacon or Proscuitto?
Prosciutto gets my vote, hands down. Unlike bacon, prosciutto doesn’t need to be partially cooked first. Each chicken breast can simply be wrapped in prosciutto as is without the need for toothpicks.
Bacon comes from the pig’s belly and is smoked and salt cured. Considered raw, cooking is required. The same goes for pancetta which is Italy’s version of bacon.
Prosciutto is also Italian but is made from the hind leg of the pig. Also cured, given that it’s air dried and slowly aged, it doesn’t need to be cooked. Prosciutto is delicious and is a refreshing change from traditional bacon.
Jalapeno Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
If you’re anything like my son, any recipe with jalapenos in it, is all good! Jalapeno anything has Patrick’s name on it. When he gets word that I’m making this jalapeno cream cheese stuffed chicken breast, he actually cancels other dinner plans.
Not everyone likes jalapenos. Personally, I’m a wannabe jalapeno fan. I like jalapenos but they have a way of coming back to haunt me if you know what I mean. So I make this hot cream cheese and bacon stuffed chicken specifically for my husband and Patrick. They’re appreciation is worth every bit of the effort.
If you’re big on jalapenos then this bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapeno popper chicken recipe below is right up your alley! My BACON WRAPPED CREAM CHEESE STUFFED JALAPENO POPPERS are nothing to sniff at either. Check them out.
Jalapeno Popper Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Make this jalapeno popper cream cheese stuffed chicken breast and bring on the party! Guaranteed to be a hit. For the crowd that requires a milder flare, go with the standard spinach, onion or chives.
Chopped broccoli is also a great option. If you’re anything like me and you can’t get enough cheese, consider adding ½ cup of cheddar, mozzarella or Parmesan to the cream cheese mixture. Cheese is a pleaser for sure!
Spinach Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
My beloved neighbor and amateur food critic, Renate, has never tasted my jalapeno cream cheese stuffed chicken because, like me jalapenos don’t sit well with her. Her love of chicken has no bounds though and when I introduced her to my spinach cream cheese stuffed chicken, she was beyond delighted! I’ve never quite seen her light up that way before.
This cream cheese & spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe is such a great alternative to the jalapeno recipe, I can’t begin to tell you.
Instead of jalapeno, onion or chives, chop up 1-½ or 2 cups of of fresh or frozen spinach (completely thaw first) and combine with the cream cheese and the other ingredients.
Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipes
Face facts. Chicken can be boring if you don’t find ways of dressing it up. That’s what these cream cheese stuffed chicken breast recipes do.
Wrap your chicken in bacon or prosciutto and these cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts will stop you in your tracks!
Ingredients in Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- chicken breasts
- bacon or prosciutto
- cream cheese
- green onions or chives
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Use a meat mallet to pound out chicken to ¼” thick.
Make the bacon weave. Lay 4 slices of bacon on top of a sheet of plastic wrap side by side. Weave 4 additional pieces through the bacon going left to right by going over and under the other slices.
Mix softened cream cheese in a bowl with pepper and diced jalapenos. We left the seeds in one jalapeño to give it a kick, but adjust this according to spice preference. For a milder flavor, seed both jalapeños.
Place chicken breast atop bacon weave. Spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of the chicken breast.
Fold chicken breast over the cream cheese.
Wrap bacon around the chicken. Use the plastic wrap to make a tight roll. Twist the excess plastic wrap on the sides of the chicken to tighten the roll. Repeat for each chicken breast.
Store in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Unwrap the chicken and place in 9×13 casserole dish with a rack or a rimmed baking sheet with a rack.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Then place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes to crisp up the bacon if desired.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Other Chicken Recipes to Try
Being a big believer in chicken, you can never have too many chicken recipes. Listed below are some of my favorites. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as we do!
Drop me a line and let me know your thoughts. I’m always interested in hearing them.
Until then. Stay safe and be well!
Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- rimmed baking sheet
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 ½ pounds bacon or prosciutto slices
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 jalapenos, one seeded, both diced I left the seeds in one jalapeño to give it a kick, but adjust this according to spice preference. For a milder flavor, seed both jalapeños.
- 2-4 tblsp green onion or chives, chopped, more or less to taste
- 2 tblsp garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet or 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with tinfoil and a rack coated in cooking spray.
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Using a meat mallet, pound chicken breasts.
- Until they are between ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, jalapenos, garlic, pepper and chives or green onions or whatever you want to mix with the cream cheese. Your favorite flavored cream cheese is always a fabulous option as well!
- Stir until totally blended.
Make the bacon weave
- You also have the option to wrap chicken with the seam side of the chicken facing up, wrap pieces of bacon or prosciutto around it so that the ends of the bacon are tucked beneath the chicken. Use toothpicks if you have to.
- Lay 4 slices of bacon on top of a sheet of plastic wrap side by side.
- Weave 4 additional pieces through the bacon going left to right by going over and under the other slices.
- Until all 4 bacon slices are woven together.
- Place chicken breast atop bacon weave. Spread the cream cheese mixture on one side of the chicken breast.
- Fold chicken breast over the cream cheese.
- Wrap bacon around the chicken. Use the plastic wrap to make a tight roll.
- Twist the excess plastic wrap on the sides of the chicken to tighten the roll.
- Repeat for each chicken breast. Store in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the chicken and place on rack inside your prepared baking sheet or dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Rotate and adjust chicken at midway point to ensure bacon is cooked all the way around your chicken breasts. Place under broiler for 5-7 minutes to crisp up the bacon if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy every bite.