This recipe began years ago. We were out of buns and the burger burrito was born! We loved 'em so much that we still make 'em with whatever ground meat we have!
I had all the fixings to make cheese burgers, but forgot the buns. How could I have forgotten to pick them up? Funnily enough, I had tortillas, so I thought, why not tortillas? Now, we enjoy them so much, I make a point of making them regularly. I have made these Cheesy Burger Burritos with ground turkey, pork, beef or a combination of any two, and the results are always the same - absolutely delicious!
Speaking of combining two ground meats together I have two that I use most frequently. Pork and beef or pork and turkey or chicken. I find the ground pork keeps the lean ground beef or turkey or chicken super moist and no one has ever noticed the difference.
If my husband and son only knew how often I use ground turkey instead of beef! I am sure they wouldn't believe it! It is funny how sometimes if they know what is in something it can change their opinion of the meal before they even try it! I am sure you know what I mean.
I have served these Cheesy Burger Burritos for dinner during the week and at gatherings, especially at birthdays when our son Patrick was small. It is so easy to set up a station where everyone can make their own, exactly the way they want it!
You also have the option of making these Cheesy Burger Burritos as big or as small as you need or want them. When Patrick was little I would make double or close to twenty of these burgers and bake them for about 15 minutes.
Always use a meat thermometer to check to make sure your burgers are done if you are making them smaller than we have. If you make ten equal sized burgers they will be baked in 25 minutes.
Years ago we used to eat a lot more bread than we do now a days. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bread and wish I could eat it everyday but my body and metabolism disagree! That is why tortillas have become our bun of choice!
The other burger recipe I use at parties or for an easy weeknight dinner is our Easy Hamburger Pinwheels. Perfect for dipping and and just as delicious as these Cheesy Burger Burritos!
Ingredients in Cheesy Burger Burritos
- ground beef, turkey, pork, chicken or sausage
- large tortillas
- shredded cheese
- bread crumbs
- chili powder
- sour cream
How to make Cheesy Burger Burritos
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and a rack, lightly coated in cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, chili powder, cumin, parsley, egg, bread crumbs and shredded cheese.
Divide mixture into 10 piles, as equal as you can get them. Shape each into "sausages" or cylinders.
You have the option of grilling the cylinders, over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, but I usually bake them. Place all 10 of your cylinders on your prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
While cylinders are baking prepare the toppings you want to include on each so that when the cylinders come out of the oven everyone can make their own while the cylinders are hot!
Top each cylinder with whatever toppings your heart desires. Fold in the long edges of the tortilla, at each end of the cylinder, and roll. them up! Serve immediately and enjoy!
Easy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Of course we made a video to show you just how easy these Cheesy Burger Burritos are to make. Now you will just have to try making them for yourself so you can see just how tasty they are to eat!
Cheesy Burger Burritos Video
Cheesy Burger Burritos
- Pull out and measure all of the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil and lightly-coat its rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, chili powder, cumin, parsley, egg, bread crumbs and shredded cheese.
- Use your hands to mix well.
- Divide mixture into 5 piles, as equal as you can get them. Shape each into "sausages" or cylinders. You have the option of grilling the cylinders, over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning frequently, but I usually bake them.
- Place all 5 cylinders on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- While cylinders are baking, prepare the toppings.
- Carefully place hot cylinders in the center of each tortilla.
- Top each cylinder with whatever toppings your heart desires.
- The possibilities are truly endless.
- Fold in the long edges of the tortilla, at each end of the cylinder, and roll them up!
- Serve immediately with dip and enjoy!