When people think of a bowl of soup, they think of its warmth, comfort, chilly weather outside, and last but not least, bread. What to serve with soup besides bread can be a bit challenging as tradition holds bread as “the side for soup”.
The truth is, there are so many options for sides that bread becomes boring to have with soup. Take a look for yourself, scroll down and see the many recipe ideas, from salads and wraps to veggies and pizza.The typical meal of soup and bread is about to get a makeover that everyone will enjoy!
What Drinks Go Well With Soup?
Soup is the ultimate comfort food. Whether you're under the weather or need something soothing, a warm bowl of soup can do wonders for your mood. The sides you end up serving with soup besides bread will expand your choices of drinks.
Deciding what drink to go with when having soup, take into consideration the boldness of all the dishes and the unique display you will be presenting. Here are just some of the drink options you can serve with your choice of soup:
- Herbal Tea: Chamomile tea goes well with mild soups, while peppermint or ginger tea can be a refreshing choice with spicy soups.
- White Wine: Light-bodied white wines like Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Chardonnay complement creamy or seafood-based soups such as clam chowder.
- Red Wine: For heartier soups like tomato soup or beef stew, you can opt for medium-bodied red wines like Merlot, Pinot Noir, or Zinfandel.
- Beer: Wheat beer pairs nicely with tomato soup, while a Belgian Ale complements hearty vegetable soups.
- Sparkling Water: If you prefer a bubbly drink, sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime can provide a refreshing contrast to the flavors of the soup.
Keep in mind that when deciding on what to serve with soup besides bread, the drink is something that shouldn't be overlooked. A drink can make or break the meal!
Keep in mind that when deciding on what to serve with soup besides bread, the side drink is something that should not be overlooked. One drink can make or break the meal!
Best Times to Serve Soup
Most people tend to associate soup as a cold weather meal, but it is actually a versatile dish that can be served both hot or cold, any time of the year. When choosing what to serve with soup besides bread, consider the time of day and setting to decide whether your soup should be served as a side or full meal.
- Soup is an excellent starter for a formal dinner with several course offerings.
- It is a popular option for lunch, especially during colder months or just when a quick and nourishing meal is desired.
- Soup can also be the centerpiece for a casual meal or family-style dinner.
Bread has always been the partner of soup in my household growing up, whether it be for lunch or on a sick day. But now I am sick of bread being the only thing to have with a nice steaming hot bowl of soup, things need to change.
Whether you are choosing to serve soup for a casual meal or a more formal meal with multiple courses, you and your guests should not be disappointed. Let's find out what to serve with soup besides bread and what soups pair well with certain sides.
What to Serve with Soup Besides Bread
Soup is a warm, comforting, and delicious addition for any meal. So it is best to take into consideration what to serve with soup besides bread to give a bit of a flare to a traditional soup pairing. Let’s face it - you won’t always want to serve soup with bread. You need something else.
There are many tasty side ideas besides bread. Whether you want something dense or lighter for a quick lunch or early dinner.
- Classic Tomato Soup:
- Corn Chowder:
- Butternut Squash Soup:
- Minestrone Soup:
- Potato and Leek Soup:
Remember, when choosing what to serve with soup besides bread, you can always mix and match according to your preferences. Get creative and experiment with different combinations to find your perfect pairing! Whatever you decide to serve with soup besides bread, will end up being a fantastic meal for all!
When it comes to soup, you can not go wrong! What to serve with soup besides bread is now easier to navigate through, thanks to so many recipe ideas. Whether you plan on serving soup for a formal dinner or light lunch date with a few friends, the options to have along with it are countless.
You can be creative when pairing simple sides or main dishes with soup. Just take into consideration everyone’s preferences and the type of soup you have when deciding what to serve with soup besides bread. As always, enjoy your full meal!