These copycat Wendy’s Spicy chicken wraps are filled with delicious breaded chicken, cheese, lettuce, and more. These tasty, crispy chicken wraps always hit the spot.
I loved both the grilled and crispy chicken wraps from Wendy’s. I love them so much, in fact, that I decided to make copycats of both of them. This crispy version is just as good, if not better, than the original and you can prepare the chicken in your air fryer, skillet or oven.
CRISPY CHICKEN WRAPS
This was inspired by my Wendy’s grilled chicken wrap recipe on this site, and pairs well with this delicious cucumber salad recipe. When you put them together, you get a meal that is absolutely delicious.
Spicy Chicken Wraps Ingredients
Although this is a from-scratch recipe right down to the crispy coating on the chicken, it only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- Chicken breasts
- Tabasco or hot pepper sauce
- Cornflakes, crushed
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Cooking spray
- Tortilla shells
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Ranch dressing
- Baby romain lettuce, shredded or torn
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
It takes a few steps to make these delicious wraps, but they’re all very easy to do. This so easy, even beginners can make it.
STEP 1: PREP
Combine the hot sauce and buttermilk, stirring until blended, and soak the chicken in the mixture for at least 5 minutes. Place the chicken in the refrigerator if soaking for 10 minutes or more.
STEP 2: MAKE CRISPY COATING AND ADD CHICKEN
Combine the breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a resealable bag or large bowl. Drain the chicken and add it to the breadcrumb mixture, tossing to coat well. Remove the chicken from the bag, drench in buttermilk again, and then place the chicken bag in the bag to coat once more.
STEP 3A: COOK IN THE AIR FRYER
Preheat the air fryer on 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the fryer in a single layer and spray with cooking spray. Cook for 10 minutes, then transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest.
STEP 3B: COOK IN THE SKILLET
Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken pieces in a single layer. Fry for about 5 minutes, then flip and fry for another 5 minutes.
STEP 3C: COOK IN THE OVEN
Add the chicken to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then spray them with cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes or if in strips, 20-25 minutes.
STEP 4: BUILD THE WRAPS
Slice the chicken into strips. Next spread the ranch dressing on the middle third of your tortillas. Add the lettuce, cheese, and then the chicken strips. Finally, fold the wrap up from the bottom and over the sides until closed. Enjoy!
Hint: Always do a double coating of your buttermilk and breadcrumb mixture for the crispiest coating.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change these crispy chicken wraps.
- Lettuce – Use any of your favorite lettuces.
- Panko – For an even crispier coating, try panko.
- Mild – If you don’t like heat, omit the hot sauce and cayenne.
Want to personalize this Wendy’s spicy chicken wraps recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Extra Spicy – Use pepperjack cheese for an extra layer of spiciness.
- Honey Mustard – Honey mustard for dipping is delicious with these wraps.
- Use our homemade ranch dressing instead of store bought or try our Buffalo Ranch or Avocado Ranch to switch things up.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these honey garlic chicken wraps.
Store all ingredients separately in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
This recipe is easy to make, but there are still some tips that will take these wraps from good to great.
- Always double coat your chicken for the crispiest coating possible.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 10 minutes to keep all the juice in the chicken.
Do you have questions about these Wendy’s spicy chicken wraps? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about crispy chicken wraps.
Always use a double coating on the chicken. The air fryer is your best bet for crispy chicken.
The individual ingredients for these wraps can be stored for 3-4 days. Always store them separately.
Microwave the chicken at 30-second intervals until heated and then, construct the wraps.
MORE CRISPY CHICKEN RECIPES
Do you like crispy chicken? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
WENDY’S SPICY CHICKEN WRAPS
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Wendy's Spicy Chicken Wraps
- air fryer, oven or skillet
- large bowl or large resealable bag
- 6-10 large tortilla shells make as many wraps as large as you want
- ½-1 cup cheddar cheese shredded more or less to taste
- ½-1 cup ranch dressing divided on 4 tortillas store bought or our ranch dressing, more or less to taste
- head or baby romaine lettuce shredded or torn more or less to taste
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- If not using store bought dressing I hope you check out our tasty version of ranch dressing. Make it now and refrigerate until needede
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Stir until blended.
- Soak chicken for at least 5 minutes, covered in fridge if longer than 10 minutes.
- Add breadcrumbs, crushed cornflakes, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper together in a resealable bag or large bowl.
- Stir until blended.
- Grab your chicken and place beside crumb mixture.
- Drain buttermilk from individual chicken pieces, then add chicken to breadcrumb mixture.
- Toss well to coat.
- Remove covered chicken pieces from bowl or bag, and drench in buttermilk mixture one more time.
- Next, add back to bag or bowl and toss to totally coat again.
- You should have two or three breaded chicken breasts. I always make three to easily feed four adults. You may only need to prepare 2 chicken breasts.
Air fryer method
- Preheat your air fryer for 10 minutes on 400 degrees.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Add chicken to air fryer once it's done preheating in a single layer, not touching.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer and place on cutting board to rest. Now you can make your wraps.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken pieces in a single layer. Fry for 5 min, then flip and cook another 5 minutes or done.
- Add prepared chicken to a parchment-lined baking sheet covered in cooking spray. Bake whole breasts for 40 minutes and no longer pink..
Build your wrap
- Using a sharp knife, slice chicken into strips. As thin or as thick as you like.
- At your workstation, spread ranch dressing on the middle third of your wrap.
- Add lettuce, cheese and then your chicken strips.
- Fold wrap up from bottom and over from side until closed.
- Use toothpicks to secure, if desired.
- Enjoy every bite!