Summer is here, and it’s oh so hot. If you are like me and love S’Mores. I’ve got a special surprise for you. These Frozen S’Mores have all the tasty flavors of a traditional smores like graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. The best part of this treat is that there’s no need to heat up your oven. Keep cool this summer and still get your S’Mores to fix with these Frozen S’Mores Bars. Keep on reading to find out How to Make Frozen Smores. Your entire family is going to love this frozen s’mores recipe.
I have to admit that the best thing about these Frozen S’Mores is that there is no reason to fire up the oven or stove. You don’t even have to gather around a campfire. You can whip these S’Mores Frozen Bars up in the kitchen in under 15 minutes. And then they just need time to chill. That’s hand off time for you.
I am always looking for ways that the kids can help out in the kitchen. And, this recipe is no different. This recipe is straightforward to make, and the kids love to help with mixing. Plus, it is fun to add in the marshmallows and chocolate chips.
Can I tell you a secret? We are all friends here right? I am not a huge fan of regular smores. But, these frozen smores are a whole different ballgame. They are chocolatey and refreshing and just what I need on a hot summers day.
History of S’Mores
Did you know that the phrase S’mores is actually a contraction of the words “some more.” S’mores first appeared in the early 1920s. Back then, it was called a Graham Cracker Sandwich. Then, in 1927 a recipe called “Some More” was published in a Girl Scouts cookbook titled Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts.
In 1956 was the first insistence known of a recipe titled S’More. This recipe was what we typically eat today. The formula is listed as “a sandwich made of two graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, and ½ of a chocolate bar.” In 1957 a Betty Crocker Cookbook contained a very similar recipe under the name of “s’mores.”
What is a frozen s’more
These frozen S’mores are rich and tasty sandwiches that are a different take on a traditional dessert. To make this yummy frozen dessert, you need two graham cracker squares.
These two squares can be one sheet of graham cracker split in half. Then, you mix together cream cheese, cool whip, and chocolate pudding. Add in your mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows, and you have a fantastic dessert.
The trick with this frozen s mores recipe is that you want the dessert sandwiches to stay in the freezer for at least four hours. The longer these sandwiches sit, the tastier they are.
Unlike with traditional S’mores, you don’t want to eat them right away. I like to let my frozen S’mores bars sit in the freezer for up to a week. Then the graham crackers start to soften, and they remind me of a S’mores ice cream sandwich.
Can I use a different type of cracker for this Frozen Smores recipe
Absolutely, I’ve made this frozen smores recipe in several different ways. One of my personal favorite ways to make these frozen smores bars is to use chocolate graham crackers as the outside of your frozen smores sandwiches.
If you want to reduce the calories in your frozen bars, you can use reduced fat graham crackers. I also think cinnamon graham crackers taste so unique in this decadent dessert recipe. No matter which flavor of graham crackers you decide to use for your smores bars you will love these frozen treats.
How long can I store frozen S’Mores
This frozen S’Mores recipe can sit in the freezer for up to three months. You will need to keep in mind that the longer you store your frozen S’mores bars that the graham crackers will continue to soften.
If you do not like a softer graham cracker similar to the chocolate cookie of an ice cream sandwich, then I do not recommend storing your frozen S’mores bars for long. If you do not want your graham crackers to soften on your frozen smores sandwich, be sure to eat them within one week of making them.
How do I store these
Frozen Smores bars need to be stored in the freezer. These tasty dessert bars will melt quickly once they are out of the freezer, so be sure to keep them completely frozen until you are ready to enjoy them.
In order to store your bars, I strongly recommend that you wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap.
Once you cover your bars entirely, you can keep the wrapped bars in a freezer safe bag or container until you are ready to consume your bars. Make sure if you place your bars in a safe place in your freezer as you don’t want them to be crushed.
Ingredients for Frozen S’Mores
- Cream Cheese
- Whole Milk
- Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- Cool Whip
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Graham Crackers
How to Make Frozen SMores
Step 1. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang. (This will be used to help remove the frozen bars from the pan)
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
Step 3. Slowly add in the milk and continue beating until combined.
Step 4. Whisk in the chocolate pudding mix.
Step 5. Fold in the cool whip, followed by the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Step 6. Pour mixture into a baking pan and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
Step 7. Once the bars are firm, remove them from the pan and place them onto a cutting board.
Step 8. Place 12 graham cracker halves evenly onto bars and cut the bars into 12 pieces.
Step 9. Use a large cookie sheet and place it on top of the bars, then carefully flip the bars over while holding the cutting board.
Step 10. Place remaining 12 graham cracker halves onto frozen smores bars. Serve and enjoy or return to the freezer until needed.
- Freezer temperatures vary, so it’s possible it may take longer than 4 hours for the bars to freeze.
- You may need to loosen the bars slightly on the sides where there isn’t any parchment paper in order to get them out. I found that running a butter knife under hot water and then sliding it along the edge of the frozen bars worked well.
- The graham crackers won’t stick to the frozen bars right away. You can let them sit for a minute or two and let the bars soften slightly before serving or re-freezing.
- The graham crackers will soften in the freezer, but I think that makes them better.
Now that you’ve found out how to make this frozen s’mores recipe, it’s time for you to make these tasty treats for your family. Grab your friends and family around at give this frozen s’mores recipe a try. Don’t forget to come back and let me know you feel about this amazing recipe.
I promise that your friends and family will ask you to make these delicious frozen smores bars over and over again. They have quickly become a family staple in household. I keep a few bars in the freezer all the time during the warmer months.
More Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate peanut butter dessert
- Apple Dumplings with caramel
- Caramel Brownie Trifle
- Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Cake
- Tripe Berry Trifle
Frozen S’mores Bars
- 9x13 baking sheet
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz) Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- 1 carton (8oz) Cool Whip
- 1 ½ Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 12 Graham Crackers, halved
- Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper leaving some overhang. (This will be used to help remove the frozen bars from the pan)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Slowly add in the milk and continue beating until combined.
- Whisk in the chocolate pudding mix.
- Fold in the cool whip followed by the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the bars are firm, remove from pan and place onto a cutting board.
- Place 12 graham cracker halves evenly onto bars and cut the bars into 12 pieces.
- Use a large cookie sheet and place it on top of the bars then carefully flip the bars over while holding the cutting board.
- Place remaining 12 graham cracker halves onto frozen smores bars. Enjoy!
- Wrap your sandwiches well and place into the freezer. Once they are frozen serve and enjoy.
- Be sure to freeze your bars at least four hours before consuming. Enjoy every bite.