This spicy chicken wrap with salsa is not just easy for a quick lunch, they're downright delicious! And it only takes four ingredients; five if you count the tortilla wraps, to make this chicken tortilla wrap recipe up!
This easy chicken wrap recipe with salsa is perfect for any day or night of the week. I love these wraps. They take no time at all to make and they are delicious too!
I always thought that meals that are made in a short amount of time lack flavor or taste. These Mexican chicken wraps prove that I'm wrong!
I love easy meals or snacks like this. Sometimes, even I get tired and need something quick, easy, and tasty to make. These easy salsa wraps are a frequent go-to lunch or dinner. They never get a single complaint!
By making a few decisions you can make these Mexican chicken wraps taste a little different, every time. Swap out the chicken with pork carnitas or shredded beef!
Don't forget to add your favorite sides! I love to add on some homemade guacamole and jalapeno coleslaw. For more flavor, serve them up with spicy mayo sauce or salsa verde.
Spicy Chicken Wrap Ingredients
Just grab a cooked rotisserie chicken, salsa, fresh cilantro, cheese, and sour cream at the grocery store! Recipes don't get easier than this!
- Rotisserie or leftover shredded chicken breasts or thighs
- Flour tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese: cheddar cheese or a blend of cheeses works great!
How to Make Spicy Chicken Wrap Recipe
Make this salsa wrap recipe in just a few quick and easy steps.
Step 1: Mix the Filling
Add the chicken and salsa to a medium-sized saucepan and mix together.
Heat over medium to medium-high heat for a few minutes, until the chicken mixture is heated through.
Remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons of the cilantro. Set aside.
Step 2: Roll the Tortillas
Lay out tortillas on a table or countertop and divide the chicken mixture evenly among the tortillas, placing the chicken in the middle of the tortilla.
Top the chicken with the desired amount of cheese.
Fold up the sides over the top of the filling and then begin to roll the ends, squeezing gently to keep the chicken inside.
Place the wraps seam side down until you are finished rolling them all up.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken Tortilla Wraps
Place a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Next, grab each rolled tortilla and coat the top and bottom with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Place them seam side down in your skillet.
After cooking for a minute or two flip the tortilla to brown the other side.
Repeat this process until all of your wraps are browned and crisped.
Transfer to serving plate and slice in half if desired and top with sour cream.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this Mexican wrap.
- Chicken: You can also make a Mexican wrap with ground beef, shredded pork, ground turkey, or shredded beef.
- Salsa: You can also make this spicy chicken wrap with your favorite pico de gallo.
- Vegetarian: Swap out the meat for beans, crumbled tofu or veggies to make this vegetarian.
- Sour cream: Greek yogurt and ranch dressing also taste great!
Want to personalize this chicken tortilla wrap recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Flamin' hot spicy: Add some sliced pickled or fresh jalapenos on top of the chicken.
- Fajita-style: Replace half the chicken with sauteed slices of bell pepper and onions.
- Kid-friendly: Use a mild-flavored salsa and serve up with a creamy avocado ranch or nacho cheese sauce for dipping.
- Crispy chicken wrap: Swap out the shredded chicken for diced crispy chicken tenders.
- Buffalo chicken wrap: Swap out the salsa with buffalo sauce.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these Chicken Salad Snack Wraps.
You don't need any special equipment to make a hot chicken wrap.
- Spatula or tongs
- Refrigerator: Store leftover spicy chicken wraps in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Freezer: Wrap cooled-down wraps individually in foil and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
- Reheat: Thaw out frozen leftovers in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave or oven. If heating in the microwave, be sure to remove the foil first. To heat in the oven, place the foil-wrapped chicken wraps on a tray in a 350° oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Here are my top tips to make sure your spicy chicken wraps come out perfectly!
- Shred chicken or dice into small pieces for easier wrapping.
- Place the wraps seam side down on the counter and in the skillet to cook to prevent them from coming open.
- Use medium or large tortilla wraps to make meal-size servings or small tortillas to make snack size.
- Chicken wraps are perfect for using leftover chicken cooked in the slow cooker or poached in the oven.
Any type of chicken meat will work for shredding but thighs and breasts have a higher amount of meat than other pieces of chicken making it a bit easier. Using boneless, skinless chicken meat instead of chicken. on the bone will save some time.
If the tortilla seems a bit stiff it can help to heat slightly to make it a bit more pliable. Then place the chicken and other ingredients in a line down the middle of the tortilla leaving some space on the ends. Fold the ends in and then turn the tortilla so the long edge is facing you and begin to roll. Squeeze gently and tuck under as you roll to secure the ingredients inside. Try not to overstuff the tortillas as they may break or fall apart.
Yes, but you will need to cook in batches. Cook at 325° F for 10 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cook longer if needed to fully heat the inside.
More Easy Lunch Wrap Recipes
Of course, we made a video of these shredded chicken wraps for you to see! I find it is always so helpful to see exactly how something is made! If you have a moment, please have a look below. I think you will be glad you did!
Chicken Tortilla Wrap Recipe with Salsa Video
Spicy Chicken Wrap with Salsa
- 6 large tortillas
- 1 rotisserie chicken skin and bones removed, shredded or 3 cups of cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa your favorite variety
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped or diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese your favorite variety, optional
- ½ cup sour cream optional
- Gather all the ingredients together.
- Place meat and salsa in a medium saucepan.
- Mix together and heat over medium to medium-high heat for a few minutes until chicken mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons of the cilantro. Set aside. Do not put pot back on stove. Put sour cream in a small bowl and set aside.
- Layout tortillas on a table or large plate and spoon chicken mixture onto the middle of each tortilla. Top with cheese.
- Pick tortilla up and adjust contents into the shape of a fat cigar. Fold the ends in over top of the filling.
- Then roll the tortilla up and over the chicken filling.
- Place seam side down until you're finished rolling them all up.
- Place a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. This part can get a bit messy but we believe it is worth it. Put a few pieces of paper towel on a large enough plate that will hold all of the tortillas and set aside. Coat each tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place, seam side down in skillet.
- After a minute or two you have to flip, and brown the other side. Repeat this process until all of the wraps are browned and crisped.
- Transfer to a serving plate and slice in half, if desired and top with sour cream.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Leave a Reply