These easy chicken salad snack wraps use a rotisserie chicken salad wrap recipe. Grab these chicken salad wrap ingredients to make a delicious chicken mayo wrap recipe: rotisserie or home-poached chicken, mayo, greek yogurt, grapes, cranberries!
Making this rotisserie chicken salad wrap recipe for lunch is easy and tastes just dreamy. I prepare it early in the day and have it ready for lunchtime. I love to serve it up with simple side dishes such as a grape salad or a spicy slaw.
Shredded chicken wraps only take 15-20 minutes to prep and I would suggest making a little extra so it can be enjoyed for a couple of days.
Chicken Wrap Sandwich
This easy lunch is always a favorite at our house. It works great for lunch at home but also travels well as a bagged lunch meal or picnic.
If you love this easy chicken wrap sandwich, you’re going to love this tasty Big Mac Wrap.
It takes only 15-20 minutes to prep and I would suggest making a little extra so it can be enjoyed for a couple of days.
Chicken Salad Wrap Ingredients
This easy chicken salad wrap recipe takes just a few simple ingredients you can easily find in most grocery stores.
- Rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or poached chicken
- Green onion
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Hot sauce
- Shredded cheese
What’s the Best Chicken for Chicken Salad?
To make the chicken salad you want to use cooked chicken that’s been fully cooled down. You can save some time and pick up a rotisserie chicken, use leftover chicken or poached chicken.
I often poach chicken for chicken salad in advance so I have it on hand ready to use when the craving for chicken strikes.
Get the full list of ingredients in the recipe card further down on the page.
How to a Make Chicken Salad Wraps with a Tortilla
All it takes are a few simple steps to make this recipe. You can make the chicken salad in advance and then roll and heat your wraps when you're ready to eat.
Step 1: Mix the Ingredients
In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, cilantro, green onions, celery, carrots, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and hot sauce.
Step 2: Add the Chicken
Add shredded or chopped chicken and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate in a sealed container or cover your bowl with plastic wrap until ready to use.
Step 3: How to Roll Chicken Wraps
Set your tortillas in front of you. Place the chicken salad mixture in the middle of your tortilla.
Sprinkle some cheese on top. Use as much or as little as you want.
Pick up the tortilla, adjust the contents, and form it into the shape of a fat cigar.
Flip each end up over the top of the filling and roll.
Place a few pieces of paper towel on a large enough plate to hold all of your tortillas and set them aside.
Tip: Place seam-side down until you are finished rolling them all up.
Step 4: Cook the Chicken Snack Wraps
Place a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Next, grab each rolled tortilla and place them seam side down on the skillet. This part can be a bit messy so move them carefully.
Let it cook without moving for a minute or two, then flip your tortilla to brown the other side. Keep cooking until it's golden brown on both sides.
Repeat this process until all of your wraps are browned and crisp.
Transfer to a serving plate and slice in half if desired. Enjoy!
- Mayo: Replace the mayo with sour cream or Greek yogurt giving this chicken mayo wrap recipe more tang and flavor. Plus, Greek yogurt is higher in protein making it healthier and also giving the chicken salad more depth.
- Change up the bread: Ditch the wrap and serve the chicken salad on your favorite bread, roll, bun, or cracker instead.
- Chicken: Swap it out for boiled eggs or tuna.
- Veggies: Swap out all or some of the veggies in the recipe for vegetables you like.
Variations Chicken Salad Wrap Recipe
The wonderful thing about this chicken mayo wrap recipe is that it can be different every time you make it!
Aside from cooked chicken and mayo, use the ingredients you have on hand and with a little creativity and courage, you will figure out how to make a chicken salad wrap with cheese in your own flavor and style in no time.
Low Carb Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Use a lettuce wrap or serve up the chicken salad on top of a bed of greens It’s a great alternative to bread and is less heavy.
Iceberg lettuce or romaine are fairly sturdy to hold the filling and have a crunchier texture that works well. You can also use butterhead lettuce but it’s a tad more delicate and you may need to double up the leaves.
Chicken Salad Wrap with Grapes
This was my grandmother’s favorite way to make chicken salad. She used to slice grapes and/or cranberries in her chicken mayo wrap recipe depending on her mood.
It gives the chicken salad a bit of crunch and a hint of sweetness. Add a handful of dried cranberries or sliced grapes just before serving.
Curry Chicken Salad
Add a teaspoon of curry powder to the chicken salad to intensify the flavor and take you on a whole different chicken salad journey.
It’s a little bit spicy and I find adding a few raisins as well helps to balance the spiciness with their sweet flavor.
Spicy Chicken Salad
Make it spicy with a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, a splash of hot sauce or a quarter cup of jalapeno peppers (pickled or fresh). A little goes a long way.
Cheesy Chicken Salad
And don’t get me started on the cheese! It’s kind of like the icing on the cake. Top it with American, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, or Swiss. Feta and goat cheese would work well also. If you’re really adventurous, try blue cheese.
Build Your Own
You can also mix and match any of the ingredients below to create your own unique and delicious chicken salad wrap.
- Herbs: basil, chives, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes
- Seasonings and condiments: hot sauce, lemon juice, mustard, pickles, Worcestershire sauce
- Veggies: avocado, corn, cucumbers, onions, radishes, scallions, sweet peppers, tomatoes, zucchini
- Fruit: pitted and chopped dates, apples, raisins
- Protein: bacon, ham, eggs,
- Other: nuts, olives, water chestnuts
Be sure to keep chicken salad cool, especially when bringing it to a picnic or party.
Use freezer packs if you need to transport your Easy Chicken Salad Snack Wraps to any kind of gathering. Better to be safe than sorry!
- Cool chicken: Make sure the cooked chicken is cooled completely before you mix everything together.
- Smaller pieces: Of chicken works better when making chicken salad wraps.
- Don't overstuff the wraps: That way they don't fall apart while cooking.
- Seam side: Keep them seam side down while holding them before cooking and cook them seam side down first.
If your chicken is fresh the day you make it, your chicken salad will last up to three days in the fridge.
Absolutely you can! But only freeze the chicken as mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well.
When you’re ready to make your chicken salad, remove it from the freezer, defrost, add mayonnaise and other chicken salad wrap ingredients. Works like a charm every time.
When I’m in a rush and don’t have time to make my own poached chicken, rotisserie chicken is the next best thing. The meat is already cooked and seasoned, you can make this chicken salad recipe in just minutes.
The chicken can be shredded, chopped, or cubed and can be cut into any size piece you like though smaller works a bit better for wrapping.
Decide for yourself what texture suits you best. Depending on the mood I’m in, I’ve done it all three ways and have never had a single complaint from anyone.
Shred or dice the chicken then freeze the rest so you will have it on hand for the next time.
How to Cook Chicken for Chicken Salad
In making these easy chicken salad snack wraps, use any chicken you desire. For convenience sake, I often use rotisserie chicken, but poached chicken breasts and thighs are great options too!
Check out our Slow Cooker Chicken Salad to see the best method of poaching chicken breasts. Both slow cooker and stove-top instructions are included.
I make my own poached chicken breasts, chicken thighs, and a mixture of both. Then I store them in resealable bags in my freezer until needed.
Poaching raw chicken is easier than you might think. The process is simple and so much cheaper than buying a rotisserie chicken.
Having portioned and frozen chicken on hand, is convenient and makes meal planning a breeze. Shredded, diced, or sliced, it’s ready to go.
More Snack Wrap Ideas
I love making chicken wraps of all kinds. Such an easy idea and a fabulous way to use up ingredients in your fridge! I have included a few delicious examples below.
More Easy Lunches To Try
- Tuna Egg Salad Roll Ups
- Cheesy Honey Mustard Turkey Roll Ups
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
- Easy Baked Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Cheesy Ham Roll Ups
- Cheesy Tuna Bombs
- Easy Smoked Salmon Tortilla Roll Ups
- The Best Roast Beef Sandwich
- The Best Toasted Reuben Sandwich
There’s no getting away from it. This creamy, savory chicken mayo wrap recipe is a classic and a pleasure to make. Try them. You’ll see what I mean.
Please take a moment to check out our video!
Easy Chicken Salad Snack Wraps Video
Easy Chicken Salad Snack Wraps
- 1 rotisserie chicken skin discarded, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups, or a little more)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- ½ cup carrots shredded
- ⅓ cup green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup celery ribs diced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese your favorite variety
- 8 medium tortillas
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Gather up all the ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, cilantro, green onions, celery, carrots, sour cream or greek yogurt, and hot sauce.
- Stir it all together.
- Dice or shred the chicken.
- Add chicken to the mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate in a sealed container or cover your bowl with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- When you are ready to make your snack wraps prepare your workstation. Set your tortillas in front of you. Arrange chicken salad in the center third of your tortilla, right in the middle.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. As much or as little as you want.
- Pick tortilla up and adjust contents into the shape of a fat cigar. Flip each end up over top of the filling and roll. Place seam side down until you are finished rolling them all up.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. This part can get a bit messy. Place a few pieces of paper towel on a large enough plate to hold all of your tortillas and set aside. Place your salt and pepper shaker nearby.
- Next, grab each rolled tortilla. Coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place, seam side down on your skillet.
- After a minute or two you have to flip your tortilla to brown the other side. Keep checking that your tortilla is as brown as you want it. Repeat this process until all of your wraps are browned and crisped.
- Transfer to serving plate and slice in half if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!