My Grandma’s Cream of Tomato Soup has been my favorite soup ever since I can remember. Creamy tomato goodness in every spoonful!
Best Tomato Soup Recipe
This is the recipe for My Grandma’s Cream of Tomato Soup and it is not only the best cream of tomato soup but the easiest too!
She made this soup for me every time I saw her. Really. She was an incredible woman and this soup is absolutely delicious. I never puree the soup myself, just because she didn’t, but it is fabulous either way!
It took me forever to be able to make her soup and no matter what I do it never quite tastes the same way it did when she made it. No matter how hard I try!
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
This super easy tomato soup recipe is definitely fool proof! You don’t have to worry about anything. This amazing soup turns out perfectly, every time you make it.
I started off trying to make this soup years ago with milk, because she would use milk when she was out of cream, and every time I did the milk would curdle.
You are going to laugh but I used to cry. I just wanted to taste some of her soup so badly. Looking back I just missed her and this soup totally reminds me of her.
Finally, I gave up and have been using cream ever since! It is true that you can’t curdle and ruin cream! Now that I am able to make the soup with milk, and without curdling it, I choose not to and probably never will.
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe with Canned Tomatoes
My grandparents lived on a farm and my grandfather grew all of the vegetables and my grandmother did all of the canning and whatever work that needed to be done in the kitchen!
They used to end up with so many tomatoes that they would send boxes and boxes of them home with us for all of the neighbors and friends to use.
I remember the cold room or cellar in their basement being full of homemade canned tomatoes, among so many other things. She worked tirelessly to preserve all of the fruit and vegetables my grandfather handed her! Those were the good ol’ days!
This soup uses canned tomatoes to make the BEST cream of tomato soup recipe I have ever tasted and I suspect you will feel the exact same way after you try it.
Ingredients for the Best Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- canned tomatoes
- heavy or whipping cream
- macaroni noodles
How to make My Grandma’s Cream of Tomato Soup
Combine tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and paprika in medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
Cook noodles, if using, according to package directions.
In a another large saucepan blend butter and flour, salt and pepper.
Let bubble over low heat.
Slowly add cream.
Cook and stir with a whisk until smooth and thickened.
Add hot tomato mixture.
Heat to almost boiling.
Puree in small batches if desired.
Add cooked macaroni noodles or vegetables if desired. As much or as little as you want. Maybe make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich! I can’t be the only one who enjoyed both as a child. Can I?
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
When I am in the mood for something a little different I have to admit I add about ¼ of a cup of chopped fresh basil leaves (12) to the canned tomato mixture to simmer with the onions.
I have also added a tablespoon of dried basil leaves and also been happy with the result. As you would expect I preferred using the fresh basil.
I always use my emulsion blender to puree this version of creamy tomato soup.
Served hot with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on top of the soup and maybe some big croutons and you will not be disappointed!
Can you freeze My Grandma’s Cream of Tomato Soup?
Yes, you bet you can freeze it! By using heavy or whipping cream freezing becomes possible and a great and easy idea.
If you choose to use milk or half and half in the soup DO NOT add it to the portion of your soup that you want to freeze. Freeze your soup without milk or half and half and then add some after your soup has defrosted and you are reheating it.
I have included a list of our favorite cream soups below and it’s funny but I don’t always include the cream in all of them because they ALL taste great without it, in our opinion.
We recommend tasting your soup before adding the cream, whenever possible, or use less to get the taste you are looking for or desire.
I also don’t always blend or puree the soups after they are made. Sometimes I just don’t feel like doing it and other times I am just in the mood for a chunky soup. Taste yours and see what you prefer.
Best Cream Soup Recipes Ever
Other Soup Recipes to Try
My Grandma’s Cream of Tomato Soup Video
My Grandma's Cream of Tomato Soup
- 2 saucepans
- 2 cans (28 oz) canned tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsp flour
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream to taste - (or more to taste)
- 1 cup macaroni noodles cooked - or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Get out all of your ingredients and get them measured. You are going to be making the Best Cream of Tomato Soup!
- Combine tomatoes, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and paprika in medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer gently for around 7 minutes.
- Cook noodles, if using, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a another large saucepan melt butter. Add flour, salt and pepper.
- Let bubble over low heat for about three minutes.
- Slowly add cream or milk. Cook and stir with a whisk until smooth and thick.
- Add to hot tomato mixture. Stir and heat to almost boiling.
- At this point you can puree the soup in small batches with a stand mixer or use an emulsion blender if you want. I never do because my grandmother never did. My friend always does when she makes this terrific soup! The decision is up to you!
- Add cooked macaroni noodles or other vegetables if desired. Add some cheese (parmesan or cheddar), some crackers or croutons! Maybe make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich! I can't be the only one who enjoyed both as a child. Can I?
- Serve and enjoy!