Pigs in a Blanket are the perfect finger food for any gathering. Whether you're hosting a small party or a large family event, these bite-sized treats will surely please everyone in attendance. The two most popular types of pigs in a blanket are typically served at breakfast or as an appetizer, but you can also add sides to make a complete meal. Although they are a popular appetizer, knowing what to serve with pigs in a blanket isn't always easy.
What are Pigs in a Blankets?
This tasty and easy-to-make dish consists of small sausages or hot dogs wrapped in flaky pastry dough or croissant. We make our pigs in a blanket in the air fryer. The name comes from the sausage's resemblance to an animal with puffy, round ears and paws. This classic comfort food has been enjoyed for generations!
Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, roll out refrigerated crescent dough on a floured surface to create eight triangles. Cut each triangle into three smaller triangles that are roughly the same size. Using cocktail sausages or mini-hot dogs, wrap each sausage with one of the smaller triangles of dough until fully covered. Place them seam-side down onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with toppings and sauces of your choice.
Looking to add a unique twist to your traditional pigs in a blanket recipe? Why not try incorporating some unexpected ingredients to elevate this classic dish to new heights of flavor and creativity? Whether you want to impress your guests or try something new, experimenting with sauces can take your pigs in a blanket game to the next level.
Here are some ideas for unique ingredients that you can use to make your pigs in a blanket stand out from the crowd:
1. Spicy Mustard: of regular mustard, mix it up with a spicy variation like Dijon or whole grain mustard. The added kick will give your pigs in a blanket an extra flavor.
2. Bacon: Adding bacon to the mix might seem overkill, but trust us, it’s worth it. Wrap each little hot dog with thin strips of bacon before baking for an extra layer of smoky goodness.
3. Cheese: Who doesn't love cheese? Adding a little cheese to your dogs will give them a nice extra flavor and help hold them together when you bite into the hot dog.
4. Sausage: Switch things up with spicy Italian sausage instead of regular beef hot dogs. It will give your dogs a bolder flavor and add some protein.
5. Sweet: We know it sounds weird, but adding some honey mustard to your pigs in a blanket will give them an extra sweetness that we love.
6. Savory: We love adding a little taco seasoning to our dogs to give them a bolder flavor and add some spice.
7. Hot Sauce: Top your dogs with hot sauce if you want an extra kick.
Is There Such a Thing as Healthy Pigs in a Blanket?
Is there a chance that this all-time favorite comfort food can also be healthy? The classic recipe consists of mini sausages wrapped with crescent roll dough and baked to perfection. While this dish is undoubtedly delicious, it does contain plenty of calories and unhealthy ingredients.
However, there are ways to make healthy Pigs in a Blanket without sacrificing the taste. For starters, try using whole wheat or multigrain crescent roll dough instead of the traditional white flour version. This will add more fiber to the dish and help you feel fuller longer.
Another way to make this dish healthier is by swapping regular pork sausage for leaner turkey or chicken sausage. These options still provide that savory flavor while reducing saturated fat and calories. Add vegetables like spinach or bell peppers to the filling or dough for an extra nutrient boost.
What to Serve with Pigs in a Blanket?
There are so many ways you can be creative with these tasty appetizers, including what you serve them with. Pigs in a Blanket are tasty, but pairing them with the perfect side or sauce is a bonus to an already excellent appetizer.
Pigs in a Blanket have become a crowd-pleasing favorite at parties, picnics, and potlucks. With pre-made dough and sausage links, they are so easy to make that anyone can create them in minutes. Kids love their sweet, savory flavor, and adults appreciate their nostalgic appeal. For those who want to switch it up a bit, many variations can be added to the basic recipe, such as changing the type of sausages or adding cheese or spices. This dish will surely be a hit whether served for a kid's birthday party or a fancy brunch!