Smoked hot dogs are a tasty twist on this American favorite. If you are looking for a way to change up grill night this is the recipe for you.
Not only are these smoked hot dogs easy to make but they are also kid-friendly. I really enjoy the deep flavor from these smoked hot dogs it really takes a grilled hot dog up a notch.
Smoked Hot Dogs
Do you love hot dogs on the grill? If you do then these hot dogs are for you! Not only are these hot dogs crispy on the outside by are they are also flavorful and juicy on the inside. This kid-friendly smoker recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious for adults also.
You only need two basic ingredients to make this tasty recipe. The bbq sauce is optional if you prefer not to add bbq sauce to your smoked hot dogs. But, I love these with bbq sauce on them.
- hot dogs
- bbq sauce
See the recipe card below for quantities.
To make this easy and simple recipe you only need to follow these three basic steps and you will have some tasty smoked franks.
Step 1: Preheat the smoker
Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees.
Step 2: Cut your hot dogs
Hold your knife near one end and cut three lines going from one end of the hot dog to another or cut slices downside.
Step 3: Smoke your hot dogs
Place your hot dogs on a grill grate to smoke. Then, smoke your hot dogs for about two hours. Apply BBQ Sauce evenly to your hot dogs every 20 to 30 minutes and rotate your hot dogs on the grill grates.
Hint: using a silicone brush to coat your hot dogs with bbq sauce every time you turn them.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this recipe.
- Weiners- I used beef franks, but you can use any type of hot dogs that you prefer.
- Sausages - If you want to smoke brats or sausages add about 30 minutes to your smoking time.
Looking for topping ideas for your smoked hotdogs? Here are my favorite topping suggestions:
- more bbq sauce
- or any other hot dog topping that you enjoy.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this smoked burgers recipe.
You only need two basic ingredients to make this easy smoker recipe.
- bbq brush
Leftover smoked hot dogs can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. This makes these hot dogs great for a make-ahead meal.
Want to make sure that your smoked hotdogs turn out perfectly? Here are my best tips.
- Do not over crowd your smoker. Leave some room between each hotdog for the best texture.
- The bbq sauce is optional but does give your hotdogs a delicious flavor.
More Smoked Food Recipes
Do you like smoked food? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about smoked hotdogs? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Reheat leftover smoked hot dogs in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm all the way through. You could also reheat them in the air fryer for a delicious crispy outside. Reheat on 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes or until warm all the way through.
Yes! You can freeze smoked hot dogs. Store your hot dogs in a freezer bag and freeze for up to three months.
This question really varies by the temperature you are using. If you are using a higher heat then they only need about 30 minutes. At a lower temperature like I used they need at least two hours. The longer they smoke the stronger their flavor.
Smoked Hot Dogs Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Smoked Hot Dogs
- 10 hot dogs I used beef hotdogs
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- Preheat your smoker to 220°F.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- Place each hot dog on a cutting board.
- Hold your knife near one end and cut three lines going from one end of hot dog to the other.
- Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Smoke the hot dogs at 250 degrees for two hours on the grill grates.
- Start to Brush with BBQ sauce about 15 minutes into the cook.
- Apply BBQ sauce every 20-30 minutes and rotating the dogs on the grill.
- Remove from the smoker when cooked.
- Serve on your favorite bun and brush with additional bbq sauce if desired.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
- DO NOT cut hot dogs in a spiral pattern.