Hot dog casserole with only four ingredients makes an easy dinner for busy weeknights. Who doesn’t like chili, cheese, hot dogs and tater tots? Hot dogs, covered in chili, cheese, and lots of tater tots all over the top is sure to be a huge it!
You're going to love how the time it saves you the kitchen as well as how delicious it tastes!
Tired of the same old hot dog recipes? It's time to try a delicious twist on this classic American comfort food!
With every bite, you'll experience a mouthful of delightful flavors. So why wait? Start prepping your ingredients, and soon enough, you'll have an easy hot dog casserole that is sure to impress your friends and family.
This hot dog recipe was inspired by my beef lombardi casserole recipe which is equally as delicious!
Why You Will Love This Chili Dog Casserole
- You get the best of both worlds!! Easy preparation AND satisfying flavors.
- Hot dogs and tater tots are always a surefire hit with the entire family, from kids to adults.
- This easy casserole is the ideal comfort dish, offering a warm and filling meal perfect for any day.
- Versatile recipe you can easily customize by using homemade chili and enhancing the flavors.
- Made with affordable ingredients that won't break the bank.
This hot dog casserole is made with just four ingredients! Here's what you need:
- Chili: Choose a high-quality chili for the best flavor! You can also opt for homemade chili instead.
- Tater tots: Frozen tater tots are a game changer for this easy recipe.
- Hot dogs: Choose your favorite brand and type of hot dogs!
- Shredded cheese: We love cheddar cheese in our family but any type of shredded cheese works as long as it melts well.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
When making Hot Dog Tater Tot Casserole, there are plenty of ways to customize it based on your preferences and the availability of ingredients.
- Chili: You can also use canned baked beans or spaghetti sauce instead.
- Hot Dogs: Swap them for kielbasa sausage or Italian sausage instead.
- Add Vegetables: Add a can of drained corn, peas, beans or diced onions and sweet peppers to chili mixture.
- Add Seasoning: Add your favorite herbs and spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder or paprika to enhance overall chili flavor.
- Spicy: Add a bit of red pepper flakes, diced jalapeno pepper, or your favorite hot sauce. We also love to mix our jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder into the chili for a bit of heat. You can also serve up our homemade hot pepper sauce on the table as well.
How to Make Chili Dog Casserole
This chili dog casserole is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Here's a look at how to make it!
- Place the sliced hot dogs all over the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the chili over the top of the hot dogs.
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese over the chili. We find this prevents the tater tots from getting soggy.
- Lay the frozen tater tots in rows and columns over the top of the chili and cheese. Put as many frozen tater tots as you can without overlapping.
- Add the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake the casserole in the oven until its bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Hint: Allow your casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving to help the ingredients set and make it easier to serve.
If you love easy casserole recipes like this, you may also enjoy this walking taco bake.
Here's how to store to preserve the taste of the casserole and ensure enjoyable leftovers.
Refrigerate: Make sure your casserole has cooled down before storing. Store it in an airtight container or wrap the casserole dish tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature. Cut it into individual portions and store in an airtight container or freeze the entire dish doubled wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. It should last up to three months. Thaw it out before reheating.
Oven Reheat: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove any plastic wrap or foil. Transfer the casserole or portion to an oven-safe dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Microwave Reheat: Remove any foil or plastic wrap and transfer the portion to a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a microwave-safe lid or another plate and heat on medium power for 2-3 minutes or until hot. Adjust the time according to your microwave's power and the size of the portion.
Can I make hot dog casserole ahead of time?
Sure thing! Here's the best way to make it ahead!
- Assemble the hot dogs and chili in your casserole dish. Make sure cheese is grated and ready to go.
- Wrap the dish securely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Store the casserole in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove the dish from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes on your counter. Add the shredded cheese, tater tots and some more cheese. Then it's ready to bake as directed.
What to Serve with Potato Hot Dog Casserole
Here are a few suggestions that will help elevate the meal and create a well-rounded dining experience.
- Toppings: You can add any of your favorite chili dog toppings. These might include sour cream, diced onions, or avocado slices.
- Serve with a seasonal salad such as this bell pepper salad or coleslaw.
Here are my top tips for making sure your hot dog tater tot casserole.
- Choose a high-quality canned chili with lots of flavor.
- Bake your casserole at the right temperature and duration to achieve crispy tater tots and gooey cheese.
- Add a layer of cheese underneath the tater tots and on top so they cook up crispy.
- Allow your casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving to help the ingredients set and make it easier to serve.
- Shred your own cheese for the best results. Pre-shredded cheese contains additives that doesn't allow cheese to melt nicely.
Yes, you can! In order to create a vegetarian chili dog casserole use meat-free hot dogs and vegetarian chili or baked beans.
It can be if you ensure you use gluten-free hot dogs and tater tots. Just be sure to always double-check the labels on your ingredients to be sure they are gluten-free.
Cheesy Chili Dog Casserole Video
Yes, I have made a video that you can find below! I hope you will take a moment to have a look!
More Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
Do you like tater tot casseroles? Here some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Hot Dog Casserole with Tater Tots
- can opener or use homemade chili
- 1 pkg hot dogs, sliced as thick or thin as you like
- 4 cups chili, canned or homemade
- 7-8 cups tater tots, frozen
- 2 cups cheese, shredded, more or less to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Grab a 13x9 inch pan or something similar.
- Place sliced hot dogs all over the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the hot dogs with chili and then sprinkle a layer of cheese. We find this helps the tater tots not get soggy.
- Next place your frozen tater tots in rows and columns. Put as many frozen tater tots as you can without overlapping.
- Add remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
This post was originally published November 2018. It's been updated with new images and content.