Sausage and Peppers is a classic dish that is both versatile and flavorful, a real go-to meal for a lot of households. With all of those flavors, it can be hard to decide what to serve with sausage and peppers. Luckily for you, we've got you covered.
Why You'll Love These Recipes
- There is a ton of flavors and textures to choose from with this list of recipes.
- They're easy to make and all of them pair perfectly with sausage and peppers.
- There's a wide variety or recipes to choose from, from seasoned fries to pasta, vegetables, and more.
Selecting the Right Sausage
- Sweet Italian Sausage: A classic choice for a tasty Sausage and Peppers recipe. Made from pork, fennel, garlic, and typically other spices, the sweetness from this combination makes a nice balance to the entire meal.
- Hot Italian Sausage: A spicier combination of meat, similar to a Sweet Italian Sausage with other spicy elements.
- Chicken Sausage: A healthier option, as it is lower in fat and calories than pork sausage, and comes in many varieties of flavors.
- Turkey Sausage: Another lean option offering the same savory flavors as Pork Sausages, but with fewer calories and low fat.
- Bratwurst: This German sausage is typically made from pork, veal, or beef and contains an appealing blend of spices that have a pleasing taste and is best prepared on the grill.
The choice is yours to select your favorite sausage to complete this Sausage and Peppers recipe. They all work great.
Versatile Side Dishes
Sausage and peppers are a great start to a meal, but as delicious as they are, you need something more to make a complete dinner. There are so many great options, with vegetables, starches, and breads taking the top spot.
Using a variety of vegetables like mushrooms, onions, broccoli, and zucchini will create a full-rounded appetizing meal.
- Mushrooms and Onions: A classic side is mushrooms and onions.
- Broccoli: Green veggies like broccoli not only add flavor and texture to the dish but nice color as well.
- Zucchini: This versatile vegetable pairs well with the Sausage and Peppers recipe.
Serving a Sausage and Peppers dish can be even more satisfying with a delectable starch. Here are some mouthwatering starchy side dishes below.
- Pasta: Sausage and peppers are right at home on a bed of your favorite pasta.
- Potato-Based Sides: Mashed, roasted, or baked potatoes all work with sausage and peppers. Even potato salad is a nice, creamy side to sausage and peppers.
- Rice and Risotto: Rice and Risotto dishes are an interesting starchy side.
- Classic Garlic Bread: Garlic bread or garlic cheese bread are both classics.
- Cream Cheese Biscuits: Cream cheese biscuits are extra fluffy and rich.
- Onion Sage Bread: A unique bread option is onion sage bread. The combination of sage and onions is a savory taste that pairs perfectly with sausage and peppers.
If you choose to serve your Sausage and Peppers on a hoagie roll or your favorite bun, you may want to toast your cut buns under your broiler for a few minutes and add some cheese, if desired.
Salads and Cold Dishes
Salads and Cold dishes offer a nice balance of flavors and textures when served alongside Sausage and Peppers.
- Pasta Salads: Whether creamy or vinegar-based, pasta salads add extra flavor and texture to a meal of sausage and peppers.
- Coleslaw: All kinds of coleslaw options work well.
- Cucumber Salad: Cool, creamy, fresh cucumber salad pairs well with the zesty flavor of sausage and peppers.
Matching your Sausage and Peppers meal with a tasty drink will definitely enhance the whole dining experience and be more satisfying. There are many ideal beverages that go well to complete the full meal.
- Beer: An excellent choice to satisfy your Sausage and Pepper dish can be beer. There are various types of beer to choose from whether it’s something light, crisp lager, or just pilsner.
- Non-Alcoholic Options: A refreshing glass of lemonade or sparkling water will always work well. Of course, for something bubbly and sweet, classic pop like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or Dr Pepper are excellent choices.
When you're serving Italian sausages, you will want to use traditional Italian flavors in your side dishes. Classic options include pasta with marinara or Alfredo sauce, garlic bread, bruschetta, Caprese salad, or a salad with simple Italian dressing.
Absolutely. Try serving Sausage and Peppers with a strong bun to hold all the delicious ingredients together. Some nice sides for this sandwich include fries, potato or green salad, pickles, and coleslaw. Check our best dips for ideas of sauces to serve.
Some nice options include spicy mustard, marinara sauce, or a sprinkle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to complement the entire dish. You can even opt for thicker options like gravies if you like.
What to Serve with Sausage and Peppers
The recipes you'll find here pair so well with the classic combination of sausage and peppers. From the earthy, spicy flavors of Jamaican rice and beans to crispy, zest parmesan green beans, creamy alfredo pasta, smoked green beans, and more, you'll find something you love!
The Answer to What to Serve with Sausage and Peppers
You wanted to know what to serve with sausage and peppers, and now you have the answer! There are so many recipes to choose from on this list, and all of them pair perfectly with the classic sausage and pepper combo.
No matter your tastes, you'll find the perfect recipe to complete your sausage and peppers dinner. Give these a try, and we know you'll fall in love with them.