Coconut ginger rice is light and fluffy and full of sweet and fragrant flavor. It's the perfect side for all your favorite dishes, and it's so easy to make!
Rice is a great all-purpose side, but it can get boring. I decided to make a delicious variation infused with the flavors of ginger and coconut, and I have to say it came out pretty darn great!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- A versatile side dish that pairs well with many main dishes.
- A healthy recipe made without added sugar or artificial ingredients.
- Prepares quickly in only 30 minutes total time making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Easy to make and requires no special cooking skills.
- An aromatic blend of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you'll find them all at your local grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
- Uncooked jasmine rice: This fragrant rice goes great with the other flavors in this rice.
- Ginger and garlic: Use fresh ginger and garlic cloves for the best flavor.
- Chicken broth: Gives the rice more flavor but you can easily swap it for vegetable broth or use water in a pinch.
- Coconut milk: Make sure you are using full-fat canned coconut milk.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed is better.
Substitutions and Variations
- Jasmine Rice: You can also make this rice dish with basmati rice, brown basmati rice, long-grain white rice, or even quinoa instead. Adjust the cooking time according to the package directions of whichever you choose to use.
- Coconut Oil: You can swap with any vegetable oil you prefer but try to stick with one that has a neutral flavor.
- Broth: You can also use bouillon cubes with water instead. Just be careful when adding more salt as it's often quite salty.
- Lime Juice: Swap with orange or lemon instead.
- Add Fruit: Add some diced pineapple or mandarin oranges to the rice after cooking for a sweet flavor.
- Vegetarian: Swap the broth for vegetable broth!
How to Make Coconut Rice
Making this recipe is super easy to do. You'll be finished in no time with absolutely delicious rice. The highlights are here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Cook the rice in the pot until it turns white.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the rice and cook again for a minute.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with a tightly fitting lid on the pot until the liquid is absorbed.
PRO TIP: Keep an eye on your rice. If it starts to look dry, add a bit more liquid.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lime juice and cilantro with a fork.
- Serve it up with your favorite main dishes!
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this homemade chicken fried rice.
Refrigerator: Store for up to 5 days in an air-tight container.
Freezer: Store for up to 3 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Reheat: Add rice and a tablespoon or two of chicken broth or water to a bowl and microwave at 1-minute intervals until heated through.
What to Serve with Coconut Rice
This fragrant coconut rice pairs very well with a variety of dishes! Here are a few for inspiration.
- It goes great with this slow cooker Mongolian beef!
- Try it with this chicken and shrimp stir fry.
- Baked teriyaki chicken legs would make a terrific main dish for coconut rice.
- We love it with these slow cooker Chinese pork chops.
- For a more veggie-based meal serve it up with a simple bowl of beans.
- Find more delicious sides at What to Serve with Paella.
- Use fresh ginger, garlic, and lime juice for the best flavor and results.
- Add more liquid (broth or water) as needed to ensure that the rice is cooked completely.
- Toasting the rice in coconut lightly before adding liquid gives the rice a nuttier flavor and a fluffier texture.
- Use low sodium broth for added flavor without excess sodium content
- Be sure to use a tight-fitting lid when cooking the rice to ensure that it cooks evenly and properly.
This Coconut Ginger Rice recipe uses jasmine rice, a long-grain variety of scented rice that has a delicate flavor and soft texture.
Unsweetened full-fat coconut milk that comes in a can is ideal for this recipe as it gives the best flavor and texture. Low-fat or light coconut milk will also work, but may not yield the same creamy results.
More Easy Rice Side Dish Recipes
Do you like rice? Here are some recipes you may also like to try:
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Easy Coconut Ginger Rice
- Rinse the rice well and drain.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium sized pan and add the rice. Stir and fry the rice until the rice changes from opaque to white. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the broth, coconut milk and salt and bring to a boil over medium high heat. When the liquid comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium low and place a lid tightly on the pan. Set a timer for 20 minutes and refrain from peeking under the lid. After 20 minutes, remove the lid and test for doneness by carefully tasting a couple grains of rice.
- If needed, cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. If the rice is totally dry, add another couple tablespoons of broth or water. If the rice is done, remove and using a fork, stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve.