This Greek Rice Salad is a delicious twist on the classic salad. A definite hit at our dinner table as a side, starter or main dish!
I have loved Greek salads my whole life and after tasting this at our local restaurant, I knew I had to try it at home.
I asked my friends and family if they had ever heard of such a combination. They hadn’t and were super excited to try this creative idea.
Who would think to add rice to a salad? Just brilliant and mouth watering!
My son just loves olives but you could leave them out if you like. In fact, you could leave out or substitute any of the vegetables depending on your preference, what season it is and what you have available in your fridge. This recipe is so versatile and so delicious.
Don’t be afraid to step out of the traditional Greek salad box. You won’t be disappointed!!
I used long grain white rice this time but I have also made it with brown rice, basmati rice, black rice, quinoa, couscous and a wild rice blend. It’s amazing all the flavors you can create with this salad. So many that you’ll never tire of this wonderful dish!
My family is always asking for more and I love to keep them happy. Luckily with this salad you really have so many options!
I have made this Greek Rice Salad so often that I feel like a professional salad maker! I love to serve this with some grilled or baked chicken or pork if we are eating it as a meal.
You can also serve it with beef or fish depending on what fancy at the time! I’ve even served it with a tasty tofu dish I made for a vegan friend. This dish goes with everything and the dressing is nothing short of divine!
Best Greek Salad Dressing
The dressing is out of this world with just the right amount of feta, oil, vinegar, honey and oregano. If you like it a little bit sweeter then add a bit more honey or a bit less if you like it that way.
It’s all about suiting your personal taste. Ken always adds more honey and I like it just the way the recipe calls for. Make sure you try the dressing before you drizzle it over the salad so you ensure that it tastes exactly the way you want it and are in the mood for.
Ingredients in Best Greek Rice Salad with Feta
Best Greek Salad Dressing
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
Making the Salad
- english cucumber
- cherry tomatoes
- kalamata olives
- purple onions
- sweet peppers
- long grain rice
How to make a Best Greek Rice Salad with Feta
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add rice and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and cook until just tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain rice, spread on rimmed baking sheet, and cool completely, at least 20 minutes.
Make your Dressing
Using a hand blender or food processor, combine, ½ cup feta, oil, vinegar, honey, and oregano until smooth. Set aside until rice is ready and cool. You don’t want to leave your fresh vegetables soaking for longer than an hour without the rice.
Transfer dressing to large bowl and add cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, peppers, red onions. Toss until coated.
Making your Salad
Add cool rice and remaining feta to bowl with vegetable mixture and toss until everything is blended together.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy.
How to store the Best Greek Rice Salad
Salad can be refrigerated for 1 day. Remove from fridge 20 to 30 minutes before serving and place in a different bowl if you would like to speed up this process, unless you enjoy the salad cold.
Traditionally, a Greek Salad or Village Greek Salad is made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, usually served as a slice on top of the other ingredients and not in cubes or crumbled, and olives, usually Kalamata, seasoned with salt and oregano, and drizzled with olive oil.
Historically, this salad does not include lettuce or any other leafy greens and the salad is not tossed before it is served. For more information you can have a look here.
We love our greek salads and make them in a few different ways because we love all of the flavors, especially in the dressing! I urge you to have a look at our other favorites listed below!
Other Greek Salad Recipes
Best Greek Rice Salad Video
Greek Rice Salad
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice brown rice, basmati rice, black rice, quinoa, couscous and a wild rice blend are also an option if desired
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled, divided
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 english cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and chopped
- 1 ¼ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup olives, pitted, chopped or sliced
- 1 small purple onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 ¼ cups sweet pepper, any color, chopped
- Prepare your rice, or whatever you are using, according to package directions.
- If using long grain rice, boil for around 13 or 14 minutes. Drain rice if necessary and spread rice all over rimmed baking sheet to cool completely, between 20 and 30 minutes.
Make Your Dressing
- Using a hand blender or food processor, combine, ½ cup feta, oil, vinegar, honey, and oregano until smooth. Set aside until rice is ready and cool. You don't want to leave your fresh vegetables soaking for longer than an hour without the rice.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, peppers, red onions.
Make Your Salad
- Add cool rice and remaining feta to bowl with all of your chopped vegetables. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
How to store the salad
- Salad can be refrigerated for about 1 day. Allow to rest at room temperature 20 minutes before serving. Place in another bowl to speed up this process, unless you like the salad cold. Toss before