Ground Beef and Rice Taco Skillet is a Tex-Mex of flavors. Using your favorite ground meat, rice, corn chips and spiced just right, this one-pot wonder is kid-friendly and is the perfect weeknight meal.
I always make my Grandma’s Cheesy Texas Beef Skillet with whatever ground meat I have on hand, and no one has ever said a word or even noticed! My personal favorite is ground pork and turkey, roughly half and half. The pork makes the turkey not so dry and adds lots of flavor and it is a few less calories!
Ground beef and pork are also great too. Actually, they all work, in any combination, in this one pot recipe! You will just have to decide on your favorites, or whatever you have around, and just give it a try!I love serving this dish with corn chips sprinkled all over the top. My grandmother used to, I am sure as a special treat for us, and I really enjoy the crunch that the chips add to this delicious weeknight meal! You definitely don’t have to use corn chips but I highly recommend trying them at least once!
Sometimes I use a little extra cheese to make this beef skillet. i always figure that a little more couldn’t hurt and it never does!
Grandma’s Cheesy Texas Beef Skillet so tasty. You can add hot sauce if you desire. My son always does. He adds hot sauce to everything! I urge you to taste it and see if you think it needs it.
I used to love hot or spicy food but unfortunately I just can’t do it any more. Neither can my husband. I love flavor but “heat” just doesn’t agree with my stomach! Anyone else experience this? I can’t be the only one. Can I?
Ingredients for Grandma’s Cheesy Texas Beef Skillet
- ground beef, pork, chicken, turkey, or sausage
- chili powder
- garlic salt
- crushed tomatoes
- red kidney beans
- long grain rice
- sweet peppers
- shredded cheese
- corn chips
How to make Grandma’s Cheesy Texas Beef Skillet
In a large skillet cook ground meat until no loner pink and onions are tender. Drain if necessary. I don’t usually.
Sprinkle chili powder, salt and garlic salt all over ground meat.
Add undrained canned tomatoes, undrained beans, uncooked rice, water and chopped peppers.
Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
Top with cheese.
Cover until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle with corn chips if desired and serve immediately.
Other Delicious Ground Beef Dinners to Try
You can never have too many one pot skillet meals and this recipe is a definite keeper! The ingredients are so easy to keep around for when the mood strikes you or you just want something fast to make for dinner. Really.
Grandma’s Cheesy Texas Beef Skillet Video
Grandma’s Texas Beef Skillet
- large skillet
- 1 pound ground beef, pork, chicken, turkey or sausage
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (16 oz) crushed tomatoes, (do not drain)
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, undrained
- ¾ cup long grain rice, uncooked
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup peppers, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 bag corn chips for serving, if desired
- In a large skillet, add onions and ground meat. Brown meat until no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain if necessary.
- Sprinkle chili powder, salt and garlic salt all over ground meat.
- Add canned tomatoes, undrained beans, uncooked rice, water and chopped peppers.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Top with cheese. Cover until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with corn chips, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!