All you need to make this easy weeknight chicken and beans recipe are five simple ingredients! Using canned baked beans, juicy chicken, and bacon this dish really packs a flavor punch.
This easy beans and chicken dish is perfect for busy nights during the week when life is crazy! All you need are five ingredients -- it's really that siimple!
Most of time I have them around which makes this meal for those nights I don't want to cook or something comes up last minute!
If you're on the hunt for more recipes using canned baked beans, try this slow cooker kielbasa and beans! It's also so easy to prepare!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is a fast and easy meal to make! Perfect when you need to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
- Cooks in one skillet which means cleanup is a breeze.
- The leftovers are perfect for lunch during the week or for another dinner!
- Budget-friendly meal. It’s an economical way to feed your family without sacrificing flavor.
- Warm comfort food with hearty, simple ingredients.
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make this dish and they're all at your local grocery store if you don't already have them in the freezer or pantry.
The main ingredients are listed here but you'll find the complete list along with amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Bacon: Crisp bacon infuses the dish with smoky flavor.
- Chicken thighs: I prefer this chicken skillet dinner cooked with juicy chicken thighs but you can also use chicken breasts. Choose skinless, boneless to save some prep time.
- Baked beans in tomato sauce: These canned beans are the base of the sauce for this chicken and baked beans recipe.
- Shredded cheese: Cheese added to the dish makes the sauce creamy and delicious. Any type of cheese that melts well works best with this canned beans recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
- Add More Vegetables: Cook some sliced mushrooms or bell pepper along with the onion to add more veggies.
- Like it Spicy? Add a teaspoon of chili pepper flakes, diced jalapeno pepper, jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the skillet. Serve up this homemade hot pepper sauce or your favorite hot sauce on the side.
- Sausage and beans: Swap the chicken for kielbasa or Italian sausage.
How to Make Easy Chicken and Beans Skillet
This is a super easy one skillet meal that you can make with very little effort. The highlights are listed here, but you'll find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Cook the bacon and onions together until the onions are soft.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until done.
- Return the onions and bacon to the skillet.
- Add the beans to the skillet with the chicken.
- Add the cheese on top.
- Cook until the dish is heated through and the cheese melts.
- Serve up with more cheese on top if you want!
- Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Store in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Make Ahead: This dish reheats very well, so feel free to make it earlier in the day or the night before.
- Reheat: Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F or microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
How to Serve Chicken and Baked Beans
This dish pairs well with simple sides! Here are some ideas:
- I really love skillet broccoli or sauteed spinach for a simple veggie.
- Air fryer garlic bread, cornbread, or biscuits are perfect for dipping in the sauce.
- You might also want to serve other homestyle favorites such as mashed potato casserole, macaroni and cheese, or coleslaw.
- It's also great served with brown or white rice as a side dish. For a quicker option, try some couscous.
This delightful meal deserves a side dish to bring out the delicious flavors. For ideas, go to What to Serve With Coq Au Vin.
- Be sure your skillet is nice and hot so the chicken sears on the outside without overcooking on the inside.
- Cooking the bacon and onion together yields the best flavor profile.
- Remove your bacon and onions after cooking with a slotted spoon so you have grease left in the skillet to cook the chicken.
- Be sure to wipe out the skillet when you're finished cooking the chicken to avoid a greasy dish.
If you are looking for a vegetarian option you could substitute the chicken with tofu, tempeh, mushrooms, or another veggie meat alternative. Whichever option you choose be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Definitely. This dish is easy enough to make even when preparing food in bulk yet tastes delicious enough to impress all your guests!
More Chicken Recipes
Do you like chicken? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Watch How to Make This Easy Chicken and Beans Skillet
Easy Chicken and Beans Skillet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- can opener
- cutting board
- Sharp knife
- large skillet
- slotted spoon
- paper towel
- wooden spoon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 12-16 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cans (14 oz) baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook bacon until crisp and onion until it is tender.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Add chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for between 3 and 5 minutes. Chicken should be cooked and browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel.
- Wipe out skillet. I usually use paper towel to do this.
- Return chicken to your skillet, bacon and onion mixture, beans and cheese.
- Stir until heated throughout and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle some additional cheese and some green onions on top if desired.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
This post was originally published February 2018. It has been updated with new images and content.