This Mashed potato casserole is delicious. It can be prepared ahead of time and then heated for about 50 minutes instead of 25. I love using flavored sour cream dips. They make this casserole taste even better. Bacon is totally optional. The amount of cheese is totally optional. The truth is you can put in as much or as little of anything and everything until the mashed potatoes taste the way you want them to. This recipe is awesome!
Supreme Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 - 6 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, plain or flavored
- 1/2 cup milk -
- 1/2 cup sour cream or sour cream based flavored dip - or 1 stick
- 10 slices bacon, chopped, cooked, divided - (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt -
- 1 tsp pepper -
- 2 tblsp garlic, minced
- 2 tblsp onion flakes - 1/4 cup to taste
- 1/2 - 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded (to taste)
- 1 - 2 cups cheese, shredded (to taste)
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 2.8 oz can french's fried onions -
- cooking spray
In a large pot place the prepared potatoes with enough water to cover them and 1 tablespoon of salt. Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 25 minutes. Drain.
Return the cooked potatoes to the pot. Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, onion flakes, bacon, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Using a potato masher or hand mixer blend the potatoes. Add in milk, between 1/4 and 1/2 cup, and continue mashing or blending until the potatoes are smooth and fluffy. Add more milk if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary or desired.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Spread half of the potatoes in a lightly greased 9 x 13 or 8 x 8 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the French's fried onions and cheddar cheese. Top with remaining mashed potatoes, French's fried onions, shredded cheese and bacon. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Broil for a few minutes to brown cheese before removing from oven. Serve immediately with green onions if desired.