Green beans with bacon and brown sugar are going to be your new favorite side. These crack green beans are made with green beans, bacon, brown sugar, and soy sauce to create a sweet and savory sensation. Give these green beans with sugar.
I have a friend that lives in the southern states, and she shared this recipe with me. I'm so glad she did, too! With all that bacon and brown sugar, it was easy for me to see why they're sometimes called crack green beans. They're addictive!
Green Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar Ingredients
This time around, I've listed all the ingredients here because every one of them is so important to this green beans with sugar dish. The great thing is that you'll find them all easily at your local store! Check the recipe card at the end of the post for amounts.
- Green beans
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Chicken broth
Substitutions and Variations
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change these green beans with bacon and brown sugar.
- Green Beans - canned green beans can be used if you don't have fresh on hand.
- Stock - chicken stock can be used in place of chicken broth.
- Spicy - Add red pepper flakes to increase the spice level of this recipe.
- Ham - Want to add a little more meat to your green beans, use cooked ham or smoked ham hocks.
Green Beans with Sugar Instructions
Ready to make these crack green beans? If so follow these three easy steps below and you will have a delicious family-friendly side dish.
These are the highlights, but you'll find the complete green beans with sugar instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post. The great thing is that they're not much different!
1: Heat bacon grease and butter in a large pan and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
2: Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, and green beans and simmer until the liquid is almost gone.
3: Add the bacon and cook a few minutes more.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this smoked green beans recipe.
What to Serve with Green Beans with Sugar
These delicious bacon brown sugar green beans pair perfectly with any of these beef recipes, chicken and shrimp recipes, and almost any pork recipe.
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Freeze in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- I prefer fresh green beans for this dish, but you can use canned ones for a quicker version. One key to this dish is the long simmer time. Let them simmer until nearly all the broth is gone.
- If you are in a hurry, you can cook this over medium heat. Remove from the stove when most of the broth has evaporated.
Do you have questions about green beans with bacon and brown sugar? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Reheat leftover green beans with bacon in the microwave for one to two minutes or until completely warm.
Yes! You can freeze leftover green beans with bacon for up to two months.
Certainly! These green beans are great when made ahead of time. Just don't add the bacon until you are heating your beans so that your bacon doesn't get soggy.
More Green Bean Recipes
Do you like side dish recipes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Green Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Green Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar
- ½ pound bacon cooked and chopped, reserve the bacon grease for the green beans
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds green beans trimmed and halved or (4 cans 14 ounce green beans)
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- In a large pan, heat your reserved bacon grease and butter and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the brown sugar, soy sauce and chicken broth.
- Stir in the green beans and simmer over low heat until the liquid is nearly gone. This may take up to 2 hours but is worth every minute.
- Add the bacon to the green beans and cook for an additional few minutes to warm bacon.
- Enjoy every bite!
Leave a Reply