Potato bake is a delicious dish that's loaded with a delicious combination of potatoes, creamy sauce, and cheese. It's a classic comfort food that pairs well with just about anything. So if you're wondering what to serve with potato bake, don't worry. You have options!
This classic comfort food can be served with multiple dishes ranging from something rich and hearty to anything light and refreshing. You can choose from grilled meats or roasted vegetables to savory casseroles or crisp salads. There are countless options and after you explore them, you will definitely find your best taste.
The great thing about classic potato bake is that the mixture of potatoes, cream sauce, and cheese means that it can be paired with just about anything from chicken to beef and pork.
Potato Bake Basics
Potato Bakes are a special yummy dish that you will love to make. There are a few basics to this creation from the potatoes you choose to the way you prepare them.
Main Course Pairings
It is key to find the best main course to go with your nice side dish of Potato Bake. The following ideas will help you find the best protein-rich dish that will complete your entire meal.
Protein Rich Options
Protein is the most common pairing to serve with potato bake, and that's no surprise. After all beef, chicken, and pork are all classic pairings with potatoes.
- Chicken: Potato Bake perfectly pairs with many chicken dishes, from a basic grilled BBQ Chicken to a more flavorful dish such as a creamy coconut chicken curry.
- Chicken Breast & Thighs: If you're looking for a more lean protein option, a chicken breast or thigh are great choices and become a great full meal when added with Potato Bake.
- Ground Beef: Ground beef dishes, like meatloaf or a shepherd's pie, are some more casual dining choices that can be served alongside Potato Bake.
- Steak: A juicy sirloin steak with some garlic butter is a one-of-a-kind classic pairing for Potato Bake as the steak flavors blend well with the creamy, cheesy elements of the Potato Bake. Giving you an indulging, satisfying meal.
- Ham: Holiday meals or special occasions always call for some Ham. A sweet and savory Glazed Ham alongside a fresh Potato Bake will be a great meal for your guests.
- Pork Chops: Another mouthwatering main course option could be pan-fried boneless pork chops. These juicy, tender chops can be seasoned however you desire and completed within 15 minutes. How great and convenient.
Popular Vegetable Side Options
Vegetable dishes add flavor, texture, and color when served alongside potato bake. Vegetables are a great, healthy way to add variety to the meal.
- Corn: Check out all of our best corn sides.
- Broccoli: Having some roasted broccoli is always a great fit.
- Mushrooms: Make our soy-glazed mushrooms or teriyaki mushrooms.
- Cucumber Salad: Take come cucumbers along with thin sliced red onions, and more. The perfect easy side dish.
- Coleslaw: Make an easy spicy jalapeno coleslaw or my grandma's coleslaw and you won't be disappointed.
Enhance the Flavor with Toppings
There are so many options for toppings from cheesy delights, sauces, and dressings to enhance your Potato Bake with flavor, texture, and more nutrients.
- Cheesy Add-Ons: Cheddar is a popular choice, along with mozzarella that can be combined with your potato bake. You could even drizzle some grated parmesan cheese for a different taste. Try using some cream cheese with garlic butter spread all over.
- Dressing & Sauce Varieties: Ranch dressing is a yummy choice along with some hot sauce for some added heat. Another addition could be some salsa with added black beans for more flavor.
Slow Cooker and Crockpot Creations
- Some great tools that can create Potato Bake side dishes easily with minimal effort are definitely slow cookers and crockpots.
- The Mississippi Pot Roast is one popular side dish that can be made with just a few simple ingredients and will result in nice tender meat for your Potato Bake when made in a slow cooker.
- Crockpot-made potatoes have many possibilities with classic toppings like butter, sour cream, cheese, and chives as options you an enjoy.
When you end up with leftovers after serving a delightful potato bake meal. Get ready to transform it into another mouthwatering tempting dish.
A potato bar is a great idea that can be made by adding a variety of toppings like chopped onions, grated cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, or other delights.
Leftover potato bakes can also make a great morning hash brown. Toss potatoes and toss them in a pan with onions, peppers, and some breakfast meat, mixing until cooked and then topping off with some fried eggs. Just a thought.
You can choose any type of potato from Russet, Idaho, Yukon or Sweet Potatoes. Choose your favorite and enjoy.
What kind of cheese is best to make a Potato Bake?
There are numerous cheeses out there that can make your Potato Bake sparkle. Consider adding on some cheddar, mozzarella, Romano, feta, or even cottage cheese. Add what you like.
What type of protein is served with a Potato Bake?
Proteins like ground beef, grilled or roasted chicken, steak, or a vegetarian option such as tofu are just some of the varieties that will complement your Potato Bake.
Can a Potato Bake be made into a nice potato bar?
Yes. A Potato Bake can be transformed into a potato bar by providing great toppings like chopped bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream, chives, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, sautéed mushrooms, or crumbled blue cheese which they will love.
From flank steak and fried chicken thighs to po boys, hamburger steaks, lemon pepper chicken bites, and more, there's almost no end to what to serve with potato bake. Give any of these options a try and get ready to fall in love.