Pollo en crema chipotle is full of delicious flavor and a kick of heat. Chicken breasts, heavy cream, broth, chipotle salsa, and more come together to create a rich, spicy chipotle cream chicken recipe that will have your tastebuds begging for more.
I love spicy food. I’ve been adding red pepper flakes to pretty much everything I make for years! Recently, I decided to take that love of spicy food and try my hand at this spicy dish, and I have to say, it came out wonderfully!
Chipotle Cream Chicken or Pollo en Crema de Chipotle
Pollo en Crema de Chipotle (chicken in chipotle cream sauce) is a traditional Mexican dish. This is dish is a creamy chicken recipe with a hint of spice. I love this creamy chicken served over a bed of rice. Your family is going to be amazed by this Spanish chicken recipe.
It only takes a few ingredients to make this recipe. Many of them are chicken staples, although you’ll probably have to put the chipotle and Suiza bouillon on your list.
- Chicken breasts
- Onion cut into thin slices
- Minced garlic
- Knorr Suiza chicken bouillon
- Olive oil
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Chipotle salsa
- Cilantro for garnish
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
This is a very straightforward recipe. All it takes is a little sauteing and some simmering, and you’ll have a delicious dish.
Step 1: Prep
Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise and season them, cut the onion and mince the garlic. Add the garlic, bouillon, cream, chicken broth, and chipotle salsa to a blender and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Saute the Onions
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute on medium-low heat until translucent and softened.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken
Push the onions to the side of the pan and add the chicken. Cook the chicken over medium heat until lightly golden brown on each side. Then, remove the chicken and set it aside.
Step 4: Simmer the Sauce
Add the blended sauce to the pan with the onions bring to a slight simmer for about 4 minutes.
Step 5: Bring it all Together
Add the chicken breasts back to the sauce and cook for another 4 minutes, turning the chicken after 2 minutes. Serve immediately with rice or a side salad. Sprinkle cilantro over the chicken if desired.
Hint: Really good chipotle salsa makes this recipe, and Empacadora San Marcos is the best I’ve ever had.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this chipotle cream chicken
- Chipotle Pepper in Adobo – If you don’t have chipotle salsa, you can use 2 chipotle peppers in adobo.
- Half and Half – You can use half and half in place of heavy cream.
Want to personalize this pollo en cream chipotle recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Add Peppers – Try adding chopped bell peppers to this dish for some extra flavor and color.
- Banana Peppers – Garnish the top of the dish with sliced banana peppers when serving.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these smoked chicken tacos.
It only takes a few simple cooking essentials to make this recipe. You won’t need much at all.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Saute pan
You can store this recipe in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an air-tight container.
This is such a simple recipe, there aren’t many tips to be had. I do, however, have a couple that I think are important.
- When sauteing the onions, resist the urge to turn up the heat to reduce the cooking time. You want them translucent and tender, not caramelized or burned.
- Watch the sauce closely as it simmers. If it starts to boil the cream can curdle.
More Chicken Recipes
Do you like chicken? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
- Buffalo Chickekn Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Do you have questions about chipotle cream chicken? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this pollo en crema chipotle.
You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can freeze this recipe for up to three months.
Chill the recipe completely in the refrigerator. Then, transfer it to an air-tight freezer-safe container.
Place the container in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
Simply place the chicken and sauce in a saucepan and heat over low heat until heated through.
Pollo en Crema Chipotle
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Chicken in Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ onion cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Knorr Suiza chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup chipotle salsa or 2 chipotle peppers in Adobo
- Cilantro for garnish
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onion to the oil and sauté on medium low for 7 minutes till translucent and softened.
- Add the garlic, bouillon, cream, chicken broth and chipotle salsa to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Push the onions to the side of the pan and add the chicken. Cook the chicken over medium heat, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. The need to be lightly golden on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Turn the heat down to medium low. Pour the sauce into the pan and simmer very low for 4 minutes. Watch closely so it doesn’t boil or the cream can curdle.
- Add the chicken breasts back into the sauce and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over after 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice or with a side salad, sprinkle the cilantro over the chicken when serving, if desired.
- Enjoy every bite!
You can shred the chicken and make tacos out of this dish.
This is also wonderful served over rice or mashed potatoes.