Ready for a dinner recipe that will fill you up? This Steak Sandwich is LOADED with flavor, topped with fresh ingredients and the best steak sandwich sauce. Get ready for this one - it's one of the best you'll ever make.
There's just something awesome about a good steak sandwich. It's hearty, it's delicious, and it literally melts in your mouth. I LOVE making this steak sandwich any time of the year but when I can top it with some fresh veggies from the garden, it makes it that much more delicious.
My love for steak is what created this sandwich and because of my love for steak, it's what will continue to keep it alive and made quite often. Having perfectly cooked steak between a couple of pieces of bread is what my definition of food heaven literally just might be.
People sometimes look at me a bit crazy when I tell them that I love my steak between two pieces of bread but I guess I'm probably giving them that look right back when they tell me that they've never tried steak in the form of a sandwich.
A steak sandwich makes for a great hot lunch and if you're looking for other hot lunch recipes to go with it, or if you want to try something altogether different, check out that link. I can assure you that everything in that post is mind-blowingly great!
Why is it called a steak sandwich?
This recipe concept has actually been around since the 1930s. It was created by two guys who put the chopped steak on bread and served it to customers. They had typically served hot dogs but this new creation was a hit right out of the gate.
How does Gordon Ramsay make a steak sandwich?
Believe it or not, I get asked about that Gordon Ramsay steak sandwich a lot. And it makes sense because he's one of the best chefs ever and this recipe is similar to his and sort of my tribute.
You can totally use this recipe as a basis to make the famous Gordon Ramsay steak sandwich and then report back to me on what you think. I adjusted his recipe and took everything we LOVED from it to make this amazing steak sandwich recipe.
One of the biggest things he does is put mayo on the sandwich to give it a nice and wonderful flavor. You can easily alter this steak sandwich sauce recipe to be just like his, or make it your own special way, too.
Try this steak sandwich once and you'll be hooked like me for life! This sandwich is simply that good and wait until you taste our mustard steak sandwich sauce.
Steak Sandwich Sauce
Our favorite steak sandwich sauce is mustard based and we LOVE it. Our mustard steak sandwich sauce requires mayo, mustard, crushed garlic, and horseradish.
Stirred and refrigerated inside an air tight container until needed. You'll LOVE this steak sandwich sauce so much you'll be like me and always have some inside the refrigerator.
This easy sandwich sauce is not only perfect on steaks but on all kinds of other sandwiches too. Just wait until you taste it. Then you'll understand exactly what I mean and see all of the possibilities.
Ingredients to make a Gourmet Steak Sandwich
It's time to treat your tastebuds and give them something amazing. This simple steak sandwich is awesomely simple and amazingly flavorful.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs beef tenderloin
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Romaine lettuce, sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 red chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon basil, chopped
- ¼ cup mayo
- 3 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- Ciabatta bread, sliced thin
How To Make the Best Steak Sandwich Recipe
The process to get started might seem a bit long but I can promise you that all of these steps are easy and simple to do.
Preheat the oven and heat the skillet
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Mix the spices
Add garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper to a ramekin and stir to mix. Season all sides of the tenderloin with seasoning.
Cook the beef tenderloin
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and swirl to coat. Sear each side of the tenderloin for 2 minutes per side. Cut the head of garlic in half and add to the pan cut side down. Add butter to the pan and cook for 1 minute, spooning butter over the steak as it cooks.
Chop and cook the garlic
Place the garlic halves into the center of the skillet and set the steak on top of them. Place into the oven and cook for 12 minutes. (12 minutes for medium-rare, 15 minutes for medium)
Prep the toppings
While the steak is cooking, prepare toppings. Add red pepper flakes, chopped red onion, red chili, and cherry tomatoes to a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to lightly break up the vegetables. Add to a saucepan with white wine vinegar and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add to a small bowl. Stir in chopped basil and set aside.
Make the steak sandwich sauce
Prepare mustard dressing. In a small bowl, whisk mayo, mustard, crushed garlic, and horseradish together.
Toast the bread
Lightly drizzle olive oil over the sliced ciabatta bread. Heat a cast-iron grill pan over high heat and place ciabatta cut side down onto the pan. Toast for 1 minute.
Baste with butter
Remove tenderloin from the oven and baste with butter. (Check for desired temp with a meat thermometer. Keep in mind the temperature will raise 5-7* while resting.) Cover with a foil tent and let rest for 10 minutes.
Slice and create the sandwich
Thinly slice the tenderloin and place it on toasted ciabatta. Top with chili relish, romaine lettuce, and spicy mustard dressing. Enjoy!
Are sandwich steaks tough?
This one isn't. It literally melts in your mouth with each bite. But it really does come down to the type of meat that you're using. A cheaper cut of steak is going to result in a tougher texture of meat.
What steak is the most tender?
If you're looking to have the most tender steak sandwich possible, the tenderloin is the cut of meat that you're going to want to use. There shouldn't be any of those awkward tearing off huge chunks of steak moments when you're eating it.
If you're ready to take your steak sandwich game to another level, it's time to make this simple steak recipe. It's loaded with a delicious dressing, plentiful toppings, and ciabatta bread takes it over the top.
The chewy texture of the bread paired with the soft texture of the steak creates an epic bite that you'll never want to end.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Best Subway Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Best Reuben Sandwich Recipe Done Two Ways
- Turkey or Chicken Apple Brie Sandwich or Wrap
- The Best Roast Beef Sandwich
- Easy Slow Cooker Bacon Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
BEST Steak Sandwich - Tender and Juicy
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper to a ramekin
- Stir to until blended.
- Season all sides of the tenderloin with seasoning.
- Rub until covered.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and swirl to coat. Sear each side of the tenderloin for 2 minutes per side. Cut the head of garlic in half and add to the pan cut side down. Add butter to the pan and cook for 1 minute, spooning butter over the steak as it cooks.
- Place the garlic halves into the center of the skillet and sit the steak on top of them. Place into the oven and cook for 12 minutes. (12 minutes for medium rare, 15 minutes for medium)
- Get out and measure all of the ingredients.
- While the steak is cooking, prepare toppings. Add red pepper flakes and cherry tomatoes to a food processor.
- Add chopped red onion.
- Add red chili.
- Pulse 2-3 times to lightly break up the vegetables.
- Add to a saucepan with white wine vinegar and cook for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chopped basil.
- Set aside.
steak sandwich sauce
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Prepare mustard steak sandwich sauce. In a small bowl, add mayo, mustard, crushed garlic, and horseradish.
- Whisk until blended.
Making the Sandwich
- Remove tenderloin from the oven
- Baste with butter. (Check for desired temp with a meat thermometer. Keep in mind the temperature will raise 5-7* while resting.) Cover with a foil tent and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over the sliced ciabatta bread. Heat a cast iron grill pan over high heat and place ciabatta cut side down onto the pan. Toast for 1 minute. Honestly, we have even put these slices of bread right into our toaster too.
- Thinly slice the tenderloin and place on toasted ciabatta.
- Top with spicy mustard steak sandwich sauce..
- Romaine lettuce.
- Sliced tenderloin.
- And your chili relish.
- Enjoy every bite!