This pesto mayo recipe will have you looking at mayonnaise so differently. Zesty pesto and mayo come together to create a delicious flavor combo that works with almost anything.
I love pesto, and I love mayo. So like any good cook, I decided to smush them together and see what happened. The result was a delicious condiment that's full of flavor and so good with so many different foods.
Pesto Mayo Recipe
Why You Will Love this Recipe
- It's easy to make and works well with a variety of dishes.
- It's ready in just 5 minutes and makes enough for you to use it to your heart's content.
- It's a versatile dish that can be used on sandwiches, burgers, pasta, or even used as a dip.
For the best flavor, let the mayo chill overnight to allow the flavors to meld fully.
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make this mayo, and it's all readily available at your local grocery store. Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact amounts.
- Basil pesto
- Chopped fresh basil
- Fresh lemon juice
Substitutions and Variations
- Basil Pesto - use sun dried tomato, roasted red pepper, your favorite pesto or tapenade instead.
- Mayonnaise - Use flavored mayo like garlic, chipotle or your favorite variety, sour cream, greek yogurt, fresh, mashed avocado instead.
- Chopped Fresh Basil - use fresh parsley, oregano, cilantro, dill, thyme, or rosemary instead.
- Fresh Lemon Juice - add balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar instead.
- Add Flavor - Add a teaspoon of minced garlic or garlic powder, onion powder or onion flakes or lemon zest for some more fresh lemon flavor.
- Add More Flavor- add a few tablespoons of your favorite mustard, like Dijon, some hummus or mashed, ripe avocado to mixture for some added flavor and creaminess.
- Cheese Please - Add grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese to add another layer of flavor.
- Spicy - Add a teaspoon of chili pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, jalapeno powder, smoked jalapeno powder, or chipotle powder to the mixture to imbue heat into the dish. I will also occasionally add a teaspoon of our homemade hot pepper sauce, or use your favorite hot sauce, to the mixture.
How to Make Pesto Mayo
Normally, this is where we'd list the highlights of how to make the recipe. The thing is, though, there's only one step to this one!
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly until well combined.
Refrigerate covered ina an airtight container for at least an hour or until needed.
Refrigerator: Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Do not freeze this recipe. They mayonnaise will break and make a runny disgusting mess.
Make Ahead: This mayo is better the next day, so making it ahead is a great idea.
What to Serve with Pesto Mayonnaise
This delicious mayonnaise variation is perfect for sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, and more. It also makes a great substitute for regular mayo in sauces and dressings.
- For a thinner pesto mayo that's more like a dip, add a little olive oil.
- Use this as a marinade for chicken or fish before baking.
- Toast some sliced bread as an accompaniment when serving this delicious condiment, sprinkled with chopped walnuts or pine nuts for extra crunch and texture
- Use fresh basil for the best flavor and most vibrant color.
- Spruce up your macaroni and cheese recipe by stirring in pesto mayonnaise.
Do you have questions about pesto mayo? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this pesto mayo recipe.
This recipe will make 36 servings.
It only takes bout 5 minutes to make.
Absolutely. You can add things like garlic, red pepper flakes, or grated parmesan cheese.
More Mayo Dip Recipes
Do you like mayo dips? Here some recipes you may also like to try.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix until well-combined.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Pesto mayo will last about 4-5 days before it begins to discolor.