This no bake chocolate pie recipe is rich, creamy, and so chocolaty. It has all the flavor and texture of chocolate mousse with far less effort.
I’ve loved these pies my entire life. I remember eating my grandma’s version and her allowing me to lick the bowl. Instant puddings were so popular at the time and this was a long time ago.
I loved chocolate pudding so much and she loved me because she wasn’t generally the type to allow bowl licking. I wish you could see the giant smile on my face right now as I write about her.
Besides my husband, son, and a few others, she was and still is my favorite human. EVER.
No Bake Chocolate Pie Recipe
Who am I kidding? This cake goes with everything.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find everything easily at your local grocery store.
- graham cracker pie crust in pie plate
- instant chocolate pudding mix
- heavy whipping cream for fresh whipped cream
- whipped topping
- mini Hershey bars
See the recipe card below for exact quantities.
How to Make This No Bake Chocolate Pie Recipe
Making this pie couldn’t be simpler. It only takes a few steps and a few minutes.
Step 1: Blend your Pudding
Beat chocolate pudding mix and milk together in a large bowl.
Step 2: Whip the Cream
Beat heavy whipping cream until peaks form.
Step 3: Blend them Together
Add heavy whipping cream to the pudding mixture and beat until blended.
Step 4: Pour and Chill
Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and add whipped topping. Chop chocolate and sprinkle chocolate shavings and chill.
Hint: You’ll know when your whipped cream is ready when stiff or firm peaks of whipped cream stand up and hold their shape when the beaters are lifted out of the whipped cream.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful suggestions for you to change this No Bake Chocolate Pie Recipe.
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust – Use a chocolate crust, oreo cookie crust or a ready to bake pie crust
- Gluten-Free – Use a gluten-free pie crust
- Milk – Evaporated milk, Almond milk, Cashew Milk, Coconut milk, Oat milk, or soy milk will work
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix – Use a different flavor of pudding
- Hershey Bars – Instead use your favorite chocolate bar chopped on top of the pie, dark chocolate, milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Whipped topping – Use light or low fat to reduce some calories
Want to personalize this no bake chocolate pie recipe? Here are some of my favorite tried and true tips for changing up this no bake chocolate pie.
Depending on my mood, what I’m craving or who I am serving I will alter the recipe to accommodate.
- Candy – Add your favorte candies to the pudding mixture like M&M’s,
- Extract – Use mint extract to create a chocolate mint pie
- Toffee Bits – On top or in pudding adds incredible flavor
- Crushed Oreos – Or another cookie on top
- Pudding – Add another layer of pudding to the pie
- Syrup – Add chocolate or caramel syrup to the pie, on top or before the whipped dessert as a layer on it’s own
- Espresso Powder – Will enhance the chocolate flavor
- Cocoa – sprinkle some on top of whipped topping
- Nuts – Add nuts such as pecans, peanuts, coconut or your favorite to pudding layer or on top of pie
- Sprinkles – Add color sprinkled on top
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy Chocolate Turtle Mousse Pie. It’s definitely delicious too.
Nothing special is required to create this chocolate masterpiece. I’m pretty sure you already have everything needed.
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand Mixer or Hand Blender
- Measuring Cups
- Sharp Knife
This pie can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. It might make it to 5 days but our pie never lasts that long.
To freeze it, wrap it tightly with plastic freezer wrap and then aluminum foil or a heavy-duty freezer bag with as much air removed as possible for up to 2 months. When ready to serve thaw overnight inside your fridge.
Here are some of my tried and true tips to ensure your success in making this easy no bake chocolate pie.
- Making sure to beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form causes air to sit in the whipped cream and creates volume.
- Refrigerate pie crust before filling.
- Add whipped topping when serving instead of spreading it all over pie.
- Make sure the pie is chilled until serving.
- Clean or wipe the knife after each slice to minimize chocolate sticking to the knife and ruining the look of the slices.
Do you have questions about this no bake chocolate pie recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about no bake chocolate pie.
You sure can. They both work well.
Place the chilled pie in the freezer and open-air freeze it. Then, wrap it tightly in a double layer of cling wrap and a layer of foil.
Place it in the refrigerator overnight.
More No Bake Recipes
Do you like no bake recipes? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake Icebox Cake
- No Bake Layered Mint Cheesecake
- No Bake Strawberry Jello Cheesecake
No Bake Chocolate Pie
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
No Bake Chocolate Pie
- mixing bowl
- Stand Mixer or Hand Blender
- Measuring cups
- Sharp knife
- 9- inch graham cracker pie crust
- 1 box (5.85 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 3 mini Hershey bars shaved, shredded or chopped
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat chocolate pudding mix and milk together for about 2 minutes.
- The consistency will be thick.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream for 3-5 minutes or until peaks form.
- Add heavy whipping cream to pudding mixture. Beat for about 1 minute or until the two are incorporated. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides with a spatula.
- Pour mixture into graham cracker crust and spread evenly.
- Spread whipping topping over top.
- Covering all the chocolate pudding mixture.
- Sprinkle shaved chocolate bar over top. Chill for 1 hour prior to serving.
- Enjoy every bite.