French onion beef casserole recipe makes a hearty and delicious meal that's perfect for easy weeknight dinners. Flavor-packed with a creamy texture and topped with crunchy French fried onions, this casserole is sure to be a hit come dinner time.
In his younger days, my son was never big on onions until I put a plate of this French onion casserole in front of him. I remember him sniffing at the plate and saying with a scrunchy face, "ewww...I hate onions"! When I told him it had some of his favorite ingredients like meat and noodles, he reluctantly put a tiny forkful in his mouth. That's all it took. He cleaned his plate and with a big smile, asked for more! That was a 180.
Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food and so easy to make. This ground beef casserole can be put together in no time. It's the simple prepared spices and ingredients that makes this casserole so scrumptious. When I'm craving a creamy pasta dinner and time is tight, this is one of my favorite go-to recipes. .
French Onion Ground Beef Casserole
This easy French onion casserole recipe requires only basic ingredients that can easily be found at your local grocery store.
- Egg noodles: The curly variety works best, but any pasta will do.`
- Ground beef: For best results use 80/20 or 90/10.
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- French Onion dip mix: You can find this in the seasoning section of the grocery store. It may also be called French onion soup mix.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Gruyere cheese: Its sharp flavor melds really well with the other flavors, but feel free to use any shredded cheese like mozzarella, colby, jack or cheddar.
- French’s fried onions: It's the cherry on top and gives this easy casserole the perfect crunch.
See the recipe card further down on the page for the amount of each ingredient you need.
An easy dinner recipe to follow with just a few easy steps and needs only 20 minutes of hands-on time to put together.
Step 1: Boil the Pasta and Brown the Ground Beef
Cook the noodles according to the package directions; remove them immediately from the hot water and drain well.
Place the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking the meat up into small pieces until it is fully cooked and browned on the outside.
Step 2: Mix the Casserole
In a large mixing bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, French onion dip, sherry, and Worcestershire sauce.
Add the noodles and ground beef. Mix everything together.
Pour into a pan in an even layer. Evenly spread shredded cheese over the pasta, then top with the fried onions.
Step 5: Bake in the Oven
Cover the casserole with a piece of tinfoil and place it in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the tinfoil and finish baking until hot and bubbly.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change it up? Here are some helpful tips that will modify this scrumptious beef French onion casserole.
- Cream of mushroom soup - Any of the creamy-based condensed soups will work.
- Egg noodles - Although this one's my favorite when making beef casserole, you can swap them out for any short pasta.
- Vegetarian - Replace the beef hamburger with plant-based ground beef or cooked beans.
- Use French Onion Dip: Use it in place of the onion dip mix with 1 cup of the sour cream.
Want to personalize this French onion casserole with beef recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips that will alter this recipe without compromising taste.
- Meats - Instead of beef, choose ground turkey, chicken or pork.
- Low fat - Low fat sour cream, reduced fat cream of mushroom soup and the leanest ground beef will do the trick.
- Mushroom - Add sliced mushrooms to the ground beef to enhance the flavor.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Ground Beef and Rice Skillet dinner.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To crisp up the onions again, reheat in the oven.
French onion ground beef casserole isn't complicated, but here are my recommendations to ensure this home-cooked casserole comes out perfectly.
- Only partially cook the noodles. Leave them slightly undercooked as they'll finish cooking as they bake.
- Drain excess fat from the ground beef after browning so the casserole won't be greasy.
More Ground Beef Recipes
If you like easy meals made with ground beef, here are some recipes you might want to try:
Any questions about this French onion casserole with beef? Here are some of the most commonly-asked questions and answers about this beef casserole recipe.
Yes! The entire casserole can be assembled up to 24-48 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator. When you're ready to cook, remove from the fridge and let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter before cooking it in the oven. Since all the ingredients have been refrigerated, you may need to extend the time the casserole cooks covered with foil.
Since it's made with sour cream and pasta, freezing is not recommended as it can damage the texture.
Again, it's important to undercook the noodles slightly because they continue to cook in the oven. You don't want them overcooked. I recommend cooking 2-3 minutes less than the time indicated on the package.
French Onion Beef Casserole Video
French Onion Beef Casserole
Ready to get started? Remember, you can print this recipe if you like.
French Onion Beef Casserole
- saucepan or pot to boil pasta
- 1 pkg (10 oz) dried egg noodles
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20 or 90/10
- 2 cans (10.5 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 package French Onion Dip mix or onion dip mix
- ½ cup Sherry optional
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese cheddar, jack, colby or mozzarella work too
- 2 cups French’s fried onions
- Gather and measure the ingredients.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, but remove 3 minutes earlier than instructed. Drain.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Drain excess oil.
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, French onion dip, sherry and Worcestershire sauce.
- Thoroughly mix.
- Add the noodles and toss to combine.
- Add the ground beef and mix together.
- Pour into the pan and smooth out.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the pasta.
- Then top with the fried onions.
- Place a piece of tinfoil over the casserole and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the tinfoil and finish baking until hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately!
- Serve with a side of vegetables or salad if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Don’t cook the noodles all the way. Leave them slightly undercooked as they will cook more as they bake.
- Drain the ground beef well after cooking it so the casserole isn't greasy.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven if you wish to crisp the onions again before serving.