These are the best frosted blueberry sweet rolls recipe you’ll ever make! Soft, filled with fresh blueberries, and covered in cream cheese frosting, this blueberry recipe is a must-try! Whether you call them blueberry sweet rolls or blueberry buns, with or without lemon, it’s the ideal dessert and is perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Sitting across from my husband and son as they were eating blueberry buns, I asked them a question. Silence. I repeated the question. Silence again. Why were they ignoring me? The third time around, I raised my voice. Turns out, they were so engrossed in what they were eating, they didn’t even hear me! Have you ever experienced that? I took it as a compliment.
Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls Recipe
This delicious fruity sweet roll is inspired by my Easy Cinnamon Roll recipe. For anyone who wants to learn how to bake with yeast, this is yeasted roll recipe is a good place to start.
What makes these blueberry buns so easy to make? Simply put, one rise is all that’s required.
Generally speaking, homemade sweet rolls or bread requires two rises. A sweet roll recipe that only needs one rise saves time.
In this day and age who has a lot of time on their hands? I’m always looking for ways to make my recipes as efficient and timely as possible without sacrificing taste and quality. This is definitely the case here.
The filling is made from a mixture of fresh blueberries, sugar, and cornstarch. Cool the blueberry mixture down before you make the dough.
Like chocolate and peanut butter, blueberry and lemon go beautifully together, as is evident by this awesome blueberry lemon bundt cake dessert. Another terrific blueberry dessert you might not want to miss.
Indulge in any of these desserts and you’re in sweet heaven!
Back to my sweet rolls recipe.
Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
Blueberry cinnamon rolls need a warm, draft-free environment to rise and your oven is the perfect place to do it. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, and then turn it off, but leave the dough inside.
As the dough is rising, prepare the blueberry sauce.
After the rolls have risen and baked, it’s time to make that cream cheese frosting. Sometimes I make this frosting with a little lemon. Sometimes I don’t. It all depends on who I’m serving it to and if they’re lemon fans.
The frosting is a blend of powdered sugar, cream cheese, and butter, and again, lemon juice, if you so desire. So easy to make, there’s really no science behind it. Just a creamy frosting that’s to die for.
The amount of lemon flavor and the thickness of the frosting is under your control. Adjust the lemon juice and sugar as necessary.
Keep adding until you achieve the taste and texture you want. As soon as the blueberry buns have cooled completely, smother them with this delightful cream cheese frosting and Bob’s your uncle.
Just thinking about these blueberry cinnamon buns makes my heart skip a beat. They’re that good.
Blueberry Buns – Perfect for Breakfast or Brunch
Seasons change, but my love for lemon blueberry sweet rolls never does. They take a little time and some planning, but they’re totally worth the effort.
As I’ve said before, they’re the ideal treat for breakfast, brunch, or all by themselves. The first time you try them, it’s love at first bite.
I don’t need a reason or an excuse to make these blueberry rolls. Whether company’s coming or just staying at home with the family, any time is the perfect time to make sweet rolls, blueberry style.
Blueberry buns are best served warm, but if they aren’t, they still disappear just as fast! At least that’s been my experience.
Recipes for Sweet Rolls
There’s a lot of good online recipes for sweet rolls. No question. But there’s also no question, my sweet rolls recipe will result in a warm, comforting dessert you’ll want to make time and time again.
Sweeties for my sweeties. You guessed it. That would be my husband and my son. I mention them again because if they had their way, they would eat these sweet rolls all day long and never get sick of them. I’m afraid to say that’s happened on more than one occasion. There’s no end to just how tasty these rolls are.
And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my fabulous neighbor and good friend, Renate, who never says no to these blueberry sweet rolls either. I’ve shared this sweet rolls recipe with her who, in turn passed it on to her son and daughter-in-law. Apparently, their kids ask for these blueberry sweet rolls all the time. Personally, I think it’s the cream cheese frosting that does it. And I don’t know of any kids that would turn their heads away from that.
Actually, the adults in my life who’ve had the pleasure of eating these blueberry sweet rolls always comment on the cream cheese frosting. Once a kid, always a kid, I guess!
Tips for Making This Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls Recipe
These delicious blueberry sweet rolls recipe is fairly simple. Sweet rolls make look complicated to make, but they’re really not. That being said, there are a few things to remember to be sure that you get the absolute best outcome possible when making these frosted blueberry sweet rolls.
- This first tip for making sweet rolls is that you may need to use extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Consider using this KitchenAid Mixer with the dough hook to knead the dough and then knead it by hand. That’s what I do. If you don’t own a mixer, kneading it by hand is perfectly okay.
- Preheated to 200 degrees, allow the dough to rise inside the oven. Then turn it completely off until the rise is finished. You can’t rush it.
- Fresh blueberries are best in this recipe.
- Allow the sweet rolls to cool somewhat before frosting them. The rolls should be warm, but never hot.
Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls Recipe Ingredients
If you take a look at the ingredient list for this recipe, you’ll quickly see that this is an easy recipe. All the ingredients are basic ones that you’ll find in many baked dishes, and most of them are most likely already in your kitchen. It only takes a handful of ingredients or less for each of the three parts of this recipe!
- rapid rise yeast
- warm water
- warm milk
- melted butter
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- cream cheese
- powdered or icing sugar
- lemon juice, if desired
See? What did I tell you? There isn’t much to this recipe. When you take a look at it, it’s mostly kitchen staples. The only things you’ll probably need to buy are the berries and possibly yeast. Other than that, all these ingredients are probably already in your kitchen.
Making the Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls Recipe
Okay, here we go. There are a few steps to this recipe, but they are all super easy. Once you get started, you’ll find that the recipe actually comes together quite quickly. The longest part of this recipe is letting the dough rise! After that, it’s all fairly quick.
- Combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl, whisk vigorously to mix, and let sit 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter, sugar, milk, salt, and egg.
- Add flour, beating until incorporated.
- Beat in yeast mixture using a single beater, until dough comes together and pulls off the sides. If this isn’t happening, add more flour a little at a time.
- Remove dough ball, lightly grease your bowl, and return dough ball. Cover, and set in a warm place for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Combine blueberries, 2tb sugar, and cornstarch in a shallow pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring/smashing frequently, until you have a thick spreadable mixture.
- Flour a surface, and roll your dough out into a large rectangle, cutting off any uneven edges. Spread your blueberry mixture all over, leaving around ½ -1 inch room around the edges.
- Carefully roll up your dough, and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Arrange in a baking dish that fits all your pieces while leaving around a finger’s width between them.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes or until tops begin to turn golden brown.
- Make cream cheese frosting by beating together ½ a block of cream cheese, ½ a stick of butter, 1 tablespoon of milk, and powdered sugar. Spread generously over warm rolls.
Alternatives to Blueberries
Explore other alternatives to blueberries and this recipe will never get old! Dice up some strawberries or raspberries instead, and you’ve got another kind of delicious sweet roll. Berries and cream cheese frosting, go hand in hand. So, I say go for it!
And don’t forget to let me know how you make out. I’m always interested in hearing about your experiences.
Serving the Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls
These tasty blueberry buns are best served piping hot right out of the oven. You won’t get a better flavor than those moments when the sweet rolls are still nice and hot. You can continue to serve them throughout the day, however. They’re tasty at room temperature, but to heat them up quickly, just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them back up again.
Storing the Sweet Rolls
These blueberry sweet rolls will keep well in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to five days. Be aware, however, that the longer they sit, the dryer they become. To serve, heat them up in the microwave or in an oven on low heat until they’re heated through. For longer storage, you can freeze these buns in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bags for up to a month. To heat, simply take out a bun and allow it to slowly defrost in the refrigerator, then heat it up in the microwave or in the oven.
Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting Video
Instead of reading this recipe, let me demonstrate on just how easy it is to make blueberry sweet rolls. Bon Appetit!
Give This Best Frosted Blueberry Sweet Rolls Recipe a Try
This recipe might look fancy, but it’s actually very easy to make. It’s also absolutely delicious! With a combination like that, you owe it to yourself to give this one a try. Make up a batch of these delicious blueberry buns for a weekend breakfast or afternoon snack, and I can almost guarantee you’ll find yourself making them more often than you might have though!
Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup warm milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese or ½ brick
- ¼ cup butter or ½ stick
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups powdered or icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, if desire lemon flavored frosting
- Gather and measure all of the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large bowl, beat together melted butter, sugar, milk, salt, and egg.
- Add flour, and mix until incorporated.
- Beat in yeast mixture using a single beater, until dough comes together and pulls off the sides. If this isn’t happening, add more flour; a little at a time.
- Remove dough ball, lightly grease the bowl, and return dough ball back to bowl. Cover, and set in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until dough doubles in size. I keep it inside my turned off oven.
- Combine blueberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and cornstarch.
- In a shallow pot over medium-high heat, cook, stirring and smashing frequently, until the mixture is thick and spreadable.
- Flour a surface, and roll the dough out into a large rectangle, cutting off uneven edges.
- Spread blueberry mixture all over, leaving a ½ to 1 inch room around the edges.
- Carefully roll up dough, and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Arrange them in a baking dish and leave around a finger’s width between them.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until tops begin to turn a golden brown.
- Make the cream cheese frosting by beating together ½ block cream cheese, ½ stick butter, 1 tablespoon of milk, and powdered sugar. For lemon flavored cream cheese frosting,, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Spread generously over warm rolls.
- Cut and serve.
- Enjoy every bite!