The first time my friend Marcel served us this dessert we were surprised at how light, refreshing and tasty it was! We had no idea what a granita was. We had never even heard of one before. Now this Espresso Granita with White Chocolate Cream is our favorite summer time dessert.
Espresso Granita with White Chocolate Cream
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate white, chopped
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream - divided, 35 %
- ¾ cup sugar -
- 3 cups espresso warm or coffee, strong brewed -
- 1 tblsp instant coffee or espresso powder -
- ¼ cup chocolate dark or milk, shaved -
- caramel or chocolate sauce - if desired
- First you have to make the espresso granita. Make 3 cups of either instant coffee or instant espresso. Dissolve sugar and extra tablespoon of powder in your hot coffee or espresso. Pour mixture into a bowl large enough to hold the liquid and stay in the freezer. After two hours in the freezer and using a fork or a butter knife, cut up the frozen coffee or espresso. Scrape frozen crystals that are forming around the edges toward the center. Return bowl to the freezer. Continue to scrape the granita every hour or so get small fine crystals. The bowl can be stored in the freezer for a few days until you are ready to use. I always make the granita ahead of time, when I have the time.
- On the day you are ready to make the dessert melt the white chocolate with ½ cup of cream over low heat, or medium-low heat if you are watching, stirring constantly until melted. My friend Marcel used a double boiler. I do not. Once combined remove from the heat and allow to cool to about room temperature. Whip the remaining cream until it starts to stiffen. Stir approximately half of the whipped cream into the melted white chocolate. Then add the remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Chill your serving bowls if possible. This is preferred but not required.
- When you are ready to serve spoon the crystals (granita) into your serving bowls and top with a spoonful or two of the white chocolate cream. Sprinkle chocolate shavings over each. Serve with chocolate or caramel sauce if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!