This banana pudding layered cake recipe is a delicious dream that will leave you with visions of your next slice. This rich layer cake is filled with tender cake, delicious banana flavor, and absolutely delicious frosting. It’s any cake or banana lover’s dream.
Let’s all agree that we love a moist and delicious cake. But sometimes, the cake just doesn’t turn out quite as you planned. Even though I’ve been making cakes for FOREVER, I’m always super bummed with a recipe that just doesn’t hold up to what I thought it would be like.
But this layered banana pudding cake? Pure perfection every single time.
This is because not only are the layers of cake moist and perfect but between each layer, you’ll find a sweet banana pudding flavor as well. This means that every bite of cake is guaranteed to be moist and delicious because you’re pairing it up with pudding, too!
Living in the dessert world is a pretty great place to be and this is one homemade pudding cake that I love to make over and over again.
I have to tell you that this easy banana pudding layered cake recipe is from my friend Maria over at Mariasmixingbowl and I had to share it with you, almost exactly how she wrote it.
Banana Pudding Layered Cake
I LOVE this recipe, and I have to tell you why. You can have so much fun making it with so many different flavors. This recipe is super versatile.
All you need is your favorite cake mix and pudding flavors and you’re all set. This recipe is for a banana flavored cake, but you can literally make this cake in any flavor that comes in a pudding box!
My son always takes his time and considers all of his options which was adorable when he was small.
Now that he’s grown, it’s just not the same. Back then, when I made a cake like this, there was an entire process. My son and I would go through at least a 20 minute process of picking out the flavors for the cake. Now, it’s all me, and I decide in about 5 minutes.
They’re still great memories though, and when I make this cake, I always relive them.
Pudding Layer Cake Ingredients
This banana pudding cake is a truly delicious treat, and it’s so easy to make. In fact, you only need a handful of ingredients each to make the cake, pudding, and frosting. That’s it.
Because this cake is made with boxed cake mix and boxed pudding mix, it cuts out a massive amount of time, and it makes it a cake that’s perfect for both special occasions or just a weeknight dessert when you’re feeling extra fancy.
- French Vanilla cake mix, or your favorite flavor
- toasted coconut (reserve a bit for topping) or walnuts or pecans
- caramel sauce
- wafer cookies, like Nilla’s or your favorite
Banana Pudding Ingredients
- Instant Banana Pudding, or your favorite flavor
- whole milk
- sweetened condensed milk
- cream cheese, softened
- whipped topping
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- unsalted butter, softened
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- heavy whipping cream
As you can see, the ingredient list for this fancy looking cake is anything but. You’ll most likely have many of the ingredients in your kitchen already, and those that you don’t have are always available at your local store.
It’s literally a piece of cake. I had to…
How do I make my cakes flat to stack?
You might wonder why this section isn’t in the tips listed below. It’s because this is usually the biggest struggle that people have with any layered cake recipe. You probably already know this, but if you don’t, cakes don’t bake up with flat tops, and that’s where the difficulty with layering comes in.
One of the biggest problems that people have when it comes to baking cakes and stacking them is that they don’t take off the rounded part of the cake first. Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean that all cakes will bake up with a rounded part but there is a good chance that the majority of cakes will.
If you’re going to make a double-layer cake and stack them, then they need to be stacked directly on top of one another with no roundness pushing them apart.
Use a cake leveler and level off the rounded part to make it flat. You can also eat that since you’re the cook and that’s just part of the perk!
Banana Pudding Layered Cake Recipe Tips
Using boxed cake mix and boxed budding mix drastically reduces both prep and cooking time, making this a very easy recipe to make. That being said, every layer cake requires a little bit of know how prior to jumping into the recipe.
The following tips will help ensure that you make the most delicious, beautiful cake possible.
Make Sure the Cakes are Done
Make certain that you test all the cakes to ensure that they’re done baking in the oven. The toothpick test is the easiest way to do this and is a perfect way to ensure that your cakes are done and ready to pull.
If you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean, the cakes are done and ready to be pulled from the oven.
Layering the Cakes
Since this cake has three layers to it, you’re really going to want to be attention to the process. You need to be certain that you let all three cakes cool completely before attempting to really try anything further with them.
This means that you need to cook them all, level them all, and then allow them all to cool before getting ready to frost them.
How to Frost the Cake
Make certain that you do a good job in trying to save the same amount of frosting that you’re going to use for each layer. You can add some color to the frosting if you want by mixing in a few drops of food coloring, too.
Once you get the cake frosted, you need to remember to place it in the fridge so that it hardens up enough to slice through and serve easily. I also make certain that I add some cookie crumbles, shredded coconut, and extra cookies on top before I put in the fridge as well.
How to Store Leftover Cake
More than likely, you’re going to have a bit of cake leftover to enjoy for later. Due to the ingredients in the pudding part of the cake, you need to store this in the fridge.
Find a big cake container that is big enough to hold it, and don’t forget to lock down the lid as well. You can also wrap with plastic wrap but just be aware that it will likely stick to the frosting, too.
The cake will keep well in the refrigerator for about a week, but I advise eating it all in the first 3 to 4 days for the best flavor and texture.
What other toppings go great with Banana Pudding Layer cake?
Sliced bananas could be a really great topping to add to his easy cake recipe. You can also crumble pecans or walnuts and put them on top as well. I’ve even drizzled some caramel sauce on top and loved every bite, too.
Banana Pudding Layered Cake Recipe Variations
If you get a wild hair, change up the flavor of this cake recipe in a flash! You can easily change the flavor of the cake mix that you use as well as the flavor of instant pudding. This means that you’ll be able to create this cake over and over again and have it taste totally different each and every time.
You can have a cherry cake with lime pudding or even a strawberry cake with vanilla frosting as well. Have fun with the combinations that you choose! Who knows, you might just discover the next big hit!
Keep in mind that your cake will also reflect the color of the pudding and cake mix so there’s a chance to have a unique looking cake as well!
As always, let’s hit the highlights here before diving into this delicious recipe.
Q: Why is it so hard to stack my cake?
A:You probably didn’t level it off first. Remember, for your cake to stack nicely, you have to take the rounded portion off of the top.
Q: Why is it so hard to apply the filling/frosting?
A:You probably didn’t let your cake cool completely. Your cake cannot be warm at all, or the pudding and frosting won’t be able to properly stick to it.
Q: How do I make those fancy little dollops on top of the cake?
A:That’s easy. Just take your piping tip and frosting bag and place the tip close to the cake. Then begin squeezing and slowly lifting. The frosting will do the rest.
Q: How long will this cake last?
A:This cake will last for up to a week in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. I recommend eating in within 4 days, however, for the best taste and texture.
Try This Banana Pudding Layered Cake Recipe
This is one of the best layer cakes you’ll ever make. The cake itself is so tender and most, and the pudding filling between the layers is absolutely divine. Of course, the healthy layer of frosting on the outside doesn’t hurt either.
Let’s not forget how easy it is to make this cake, as well. When you combine the flavor and ease of this recipe, it becomes one that you absolutely must try. It’s the perfect cake for any occasion from fancy gatherings to weeknight desserts. Give it a try!
More Pudding Recipes
Banana Pudding Layered Cake Video
Banana Pudding Layer Cake
- 3 - 9 inch round cake pans
- disposable piping bag
- large piping bag with a large star tip
- 10 inch round cake board
- cake leveler or butter knife
- squeeze bottle
- 2 boxes French Vanilla cake mix, or your favorite flavor
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups toasted coconut, pecans or walnuts reserve a bit for topping
- 1 bottle of caramel sauce
- Nilla wafer cookies or your favorite
Banana Pudding Ingredients
- 1 box (3.4 oz) Instant Banana Pudding, or your favorite
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 container (8 oz) whipped topping
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3 cups unsalted butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-7 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare cake pans with cooking spray
Bake Your Cakes
- Follow the directions on the back of your cake boxes to make your batter
- Divide the batter between the three pans and bake inside your oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow to cool inside each pan for 10 minutes and then on to a rack until cooled completely.
- Using a cake leveler, slice off the rounded tops to make the cakes level, if necessary.
Banana Pudding Directions
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat together the banana pudding and milk for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Then mix in cream cheese until smooth.
- Fold in the cool whip until smooth. Scoop the pudding into the piping bag
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat all the frosting ingredients until creamy and stiff peaks form.
- Scoop into piping bag.
Building the cake
- Place one cake round onto the cake board.
- Using the cake frosting, pipe a thick outline around the edge of the cake. This will be the barrier to keep the pudding in the middle of your cake.
- Pipe pudding into the middle of each cake layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first one. Repeat steps with the frosting and pudding with the second cake layer.
- Place the third cake layer on top.
- Using the remaining frosting, frost entire cake.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut, pecans or walnuts onto the bottom of the cake
- Pour the caramel sauce into the squeeze bottle and squeeze it along the top edge of the cake that way the sauce drips down along the sides. If using store bought caramel sauce you won't need a squeeze bottle.
- Using the remaining frosting in the piping bag, pipe dollops of frosting along the top to decorate.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut, pecans or walnuts. Place your cookie of choice inside or against each of the dollops of frosting.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour to allow the frosting to harden before cutting into slices and serving.
- Enjoy every bite!