Best Chicken and Waffle Recipe includes easy fried chicken and mini waffles to make amazing sliders covered in maple butter and syrup!
Can we all agree that whoever originally thought of combining fried chicken and waffles is an absolute genius? Like many of us, I enjoy trying new things, but this combination would have never crossed my mind.
Chicken and Waffles Origin
As I poke a little bit into the history of fried chicken and waffles, I can proudly say this is an all American recipe.
How waffles came to be is largely unknown, but it’s theorized they started in the 17th century. In the 1800s, resorts and hotels originally served waffles with catfish but gradually fried chicken became the protein of choice.
Fried chicken and waffles are part of the soul food tradition and it runs deep. Thankfully, someone made this chicken and waffles dish a reality and it’s here to stay.
My decision to make this easy chicken and waffles recipe into sliders might just be one of my best creations yet! Whether I serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, these little grab-and-go snack sandwiches are my obsession through and through.
Eat these chicken and waffle sliders once and you can forget about eating a chicken “sandwich” any other way. So, give this fun and flavorful easy chicken and waffles recipe a try!
Best Fried Chicken and Waffles Recipe
When I say this is the best chicken and waffles recipe I’ve ever made, I’m not kidding! It’s absolutely one of my all time favorites. Like a sandwich, I can easily hold one of these chicken waffles in my hand and the taste and texture is fantastic to say the least!
Perfect for a tailgate bash or house party, chicken and waffles are a super fun weekend treat for friends and family alike.
What goes with chicken and waffles?
Even though chicken and waffles is quite the meal on its own, it goes well with other side dishes. What’s so great about this waffles and chicken recipe is that it can easily be paired up with a wide variety of foods.
Here are some simple side dish choices:
Just to name a few. No doubt, there are a ton more varieties to choose from. Whatever sides you like is what truly matters.
Sometimes you don’t want a meal to end and this AMAZING fried chicken and waffles recipe is one of them.
Best Fried Chicken and Waffles recipe
The best part about this fried chicken and waffles recipe? There are so many options on how to eat it! Although chicken and waffles are meant to be eaten together, they can be eaten separately.
Someone might feel like just eating the chicken. While another wants waffles only. Eating them this way is perfectly okay.
Some easy chicken and waffle recipes have that flexibility and this is one of them!
What goes good with waffles besides syrup?
If you don’t do syrup, there are various substitutes and toppings to choose from. Here are some suggestions:
- Maple syrup (the real stuff)
- Powdered sugar
- Drizzled butter
- Flavored butter
- Whipped cream
- Sliced bananas
- Iced cream
Blend the butter, cinnamon and sugar together and you’ve got a unique sweet flavor without all that syrup. A fun combination to say the least. Let me know what you think. I’m curious.
What is an all purpose baking mix?
To get you started, the great part about making waffles is that you can use a sort of “cheater”. If you want waffles fast, the best baking mixes out there are Jiffy or a Bisquick.
Do you put syrup on chicken and waffles?
You can. Some people prefer not to have their meal quite so messy and use the syrup as a dipping sauce on the side. It’s really up to you how you want to eat it.
There’s no right answer here. This easy chicken and waffles recipe is so delicious, there’s no need to fancy it up with sauces and other toppings.
I’m a big dipper myself because sometimes I want a bit of sweetness and sometimes I don’t. If you’re feeding this to kids chances are they’re going to smother syrup all over their chicken and waffles! Messy is their middle name and they don’t care how sticky things get.
Ingredients needed to make the Best Chicken and Waffles Recipe
A simple recipe calls for simple ingredients. It doesn’t get any simpler than that. The items listed below will have you creating homemade waffles with unbelievable flavor and taste!
- hot sauce
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- maple syrup
- salted butter
- cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix like Jiffy or Bisquick
- canola oil
- all purpose flour
Tips for making Easy Chicken and Waffles
Although this chicken and waffles recipe isn’t hard to do, there are a few cooking tips to keep in mind.
So the waffles don’t stick, make certain that you spray the waffle iron. No one wants a half waffle or a messed up waffle with their slider! And you want the waffle to look like one, right?
Give your chicken time to marinate so that it’s good and all the flavors have had time to soak in. A minimum of 2 hours would be okay, but overnight is best and will give you the utmost flavor.
Let your waffles cool
Letting your waffles cool is key and will help them firm up a bit. This will also give them the right texture that pairs perfectly with the chicken for a nice crisp bite.
Cook your chicken all the way through
Add your ingredients to a large bowl, whisk together flour mixture, salt, pepper and make certain you shake off any excess before frying.
Cook each side for 5 minutes then place them on paper towels to soak up some of that grease. (You can fry these in vegetable oil or coconut oil, your choice) This can also be fried up in a dutch oven as long as you get your oil hot enough to fry.
What does chicken and waffles taste like?
With it’s perfectly crisp and crunchy combination of savory and sweet flavors, eating a chicken and waffle slider is how I imagine heaven would be. Waffles being the bun for your piece of chicken breast are absolutely scrumptious. Comparing them to buns is no contest.
Can you use other cuts of meat for this chicken recipe?
Chicken breast is going to be the easiest to prep and cook, but using chicken thighs or other parts of the chicken is absolutely fine as long as you remove the bones and are able to coat and fry it.
A little hot sauce goes a long way and gives these chicken and waffles a little attitude. I’ve watched my son devour several of these sliders in one sitting. He barely came up for air! When he was finished, he was smiling from ear to ear.
Perhaps this easy chicken and waffles recipe will put a smile on your face. A fun and delicious way of making any meal special. Literally, this easy chicken and waffles recipe is the BEST chicken and waffles, ever!
More Chicken Recipes
Can’t say enough good things about chicken. The more chicken recipes to try, the better in my opinion.
- Captain Crunch Chicken
- Oven Baked Soy Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- KFC Mashed Potato Bowl Copycat Recipe (KFC Chicken Bowl)
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Inspired Chicken
Thanks for visiting.
Best Chicken and Waffle Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 stick salted butter at room temperature
- Non stick cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2 cups canola oil, plus 4 tablespoons, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
Marinate the Chicken
- Pull out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Gather together buttermilk, hot sauce and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add chicken and whisk.
- Until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken mixture, allowing it to soak overnight or for at least two hours.
- Make the maple butter to spread over the completed dish. In a small mixing bowl, combine maple syrup and butter.
- Until creamy and smooth.
- Syrup and butter can be also combined over low heat to reach desired consistency if you wish.
Making the Waffles
- Preheat mini waffle maker and coat with cooking spray. Bring out your all purpose baking mix, water and oil.
- Combine all-purpose baking mix with 4 tablespoons of oil and water.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour ¼ cup of waffle batter into each cavity of the waffle maker.
- Cook according to the machine’s recommendation or until golden brown.
- Set mini waffles aside to cool.
Frying the Chicken
- Over medium heat, begin to heat the remaining oil.
- Using a resealable bag, combine the flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken mixture from the refrigerator and place 8-10 pieces of chicken in the flour mixture one at a time.
- Zip the bag shut.
- Shake until chicken is coated evenly with flour.
- Remove chicken pieces from the bag and repeat for all remaining chicken pieces.
- Once oil is hot, carefully lower the pieces of chicken into the oil and cook on each side for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces and set on paper towel to drain excess oil. After all the pieces of chicken have been fried, start assembling your sliders.
Assemble your Sliders
- At your workstation, place maple butter, sliders and chicken.
- Coat each waffle with Maple Butter. Wedge 1-2 pieces of chicken between two sliders.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Enjoy every bite!