Fiery hot harissa is mixed with mayonnaise to make this spicy Harissa aioli. It makes a delightful dip for fries or as a flavorful sauce for burgers and sandwiches. All you need are four simple ingredients to make it!
Lately, I’ve been using sauces as a way to add a variety of flavors to my meals. Making homemade sauces uses fresh, less processed ingredients and they mix up quickly in just a few minutes.
I pick out one or two at the beginning of the week and mix them up, then the following week I can move onto other sauces with completely different flavors. It makes my meals feel so much more exciting and delicious!
Spicy Aioli Recipe with Harissa
All you need are four simple ingredients to make this easy aioli recipe.
- lemon juice
- crushed garlic
- harissa paste or harissa powder mixed with oil
See the recipe card further down on the page for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Harissa aioli mixes up in just one step and a couple of minutes!
Step 1: Mix It Up
Stir all ingredients together, refrigerate and serve.
Hint: Pick up some small Mason jars to store your homemade sauces. They are airtight, easy to label, and easily fit in the refrigerator door.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this spicy aioli recipe.
- Mayo – Swap out with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for a thicker and creamier dip with similar flavors.
- Fresh garlic – Swap out the fresh garlic with one teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Lemon juice – You can also use fresh squeezed lime juice.
How to Serve Harissa Aioli
Want to know how to serve harissa aioli? Here are some of my favorite ways to use it.
- Dip it – Use it as a dip for french fries, sweet potato fries, asparagus fries or vegetable sticks.
- Spread it – This sauce makes everything you put it on taste better! It’s perfect on burgers, with grilled cheese sandwiches and more.
- Drizzle or Swirl – Add flavor to salads or simple steamed or roasted vegetables to add flavor.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy Creamy Horseradish Dip.
All you need to mix up this spicy aioli recipe are a few basic kitchen tools:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
Store harissa aioli sauce in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator for the best flavor.
You don’t need to know much extra to make the best spicy aioli sauce but here are a few tips and reminders to help you out.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of harissa up or down to make a spicier or less spicy sauce.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
More Spicy Recipes
Do you like cooking up spicy flavors for meals? Here are some recipes you may also like to try:
Do you have questions about making harissa aioli sauce? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about making this spicy aioli sauce.
This hot sauce from Tunisia is made with hot chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander, caraway, and olive oil. It has a unique spicy flavor and can be used to flavor soups, stews, and other recipes. It’s available in a paste or powder form usually in Middle Eastern markets.
It is not a good idea to freeze harissa aioli as it will damage the texture of the sauce.
Yes, this aioli sauce is spicy. You can use less harissa if desired to make a less spicy aioli sauce.
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Spicy Harissa Aioli Sauce
- Measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowl
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon harissa powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4-5 cloves crushed garlic
- Stir together the harissan powder with the olive oil to make a paste.
- Gather all the ingredients together.
- Place everything in a bowl.
- Mix it together with a spoon or whisk.
- Until fully mixed together and refrigerate.
- Serve it up.
- With your favorite foods.
- Ennjoy every bite!