Serve up this easy smoked buffalo chicken dip for your next party, game day event or family get together! Juicy chunks of chicken in a spicy, creamy sauce with cheese and a lightly smoked flavor that’s perfect with veggie sticks, crackers and chips. It’s easy to make and sure to be a crowd pleaser!
If you love spicy, then I’m certain this dip will be a new fave for you! It’s like buffalo chicken wings but in a dip form! Chicken wings are always a favorite in our house, but a bit of a challenge to make for larger groups. So when I was planning a recent gathering, I came up with this delicious creamy dip with all the flavors of buffalo chicken that’s much easier to prepare and serve up for parties.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Ingredients in Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
This easy dip requires only five simple ingredients to prepare, all of which are available in most grocery stores.
- Cream cheese
- Rotisserie chicken
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Ranch or blue cheese salad dressing
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Extra shredded cheese on top
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Extra hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes for more heat
- Vegetable sticks or slices, corn or tortilla chips, pretzels, crackers or baguette slices
- Green onions
See recipe card further down on the page for exact quantities of each ingredient.
How to Make Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Prep up this smokey buffalo chicken dip in just a few easy steps that takes only minutes of hands-on time to prepare.
Step 1: Mix the Ingredients
Combine cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo wing sauce and dressing in a large bowl. Mix it together with a spoon.
Add the shredded chicken, 1 ½ – 2 cups of cheese and stir until blended.
Taste your dip and see if it needs salt, pepper, garlic powder or onion powder. I usually don’t put any in.
Step 2: Get the Dip Ready for the Smoker
Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and add the dip. Sprinkle the top with more cheese if you want.
Place in the smoker and smoke at 250° F for about 60-90 minutes. Check every 20 minutes or so.
Everything is already cooked, you’re just looking to make sure everything is heated through and has a chance to absorb that smokey flavor.
When the dip is ready, serve with baguette slices, celery sticks or corn or tortilla chips
Hint: You can use any pan that’s good for the oven inside your smoker. A glass dish will provide a more consistent temperature while a metal pan heats up more quickly.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this smoked buffalo chicken dip.
- Smoker -If you don’t have a smoker, you can still enjoy buffalo chicken dip with smoky flavor by adding in smoked paprika or liquid smoke to taste. Add it in small amounts until you get it to the level of smokiness you prefer.
- Rotisserie Chicken – Buying a rotisserie chicken is a way to simplify making this dip recipe, but you can use any type of cooked chicken breast when making it.
- Vegetarian – For a vegetarian version of this buffalo chicken dip, sub in 3 cups of cooked chickpeas in place of the chicken.
Want to personalize this your smokey buffalo chicken dip recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Extra Spicy – Add extra hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes when mixing up the dip.
- BBQ – Turn this into a creamy BBQ chicken dip by replacing the buffalo sauce with your favorite bottled bbq sauce.
- Non-Smoky Buffalo Chicken Dip – You can skip the smoker and cook this creamy chicken dip in the oven instead of in a smoker.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy the spicy flavors of this shrimp dip.
All this recipe requires is a few simple kitchen tools in addition to a smoker to prepare!
- 13 x 9 casserole dish
- Large mixing bowl and spoon
Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days when prepared with freshly cooked chicken. If you prepare it with leftover chicken, the time that chicken has been stored needs to be taken into account. Allow the dip to cool down fully before storing it in an airtight container.
Freezer: Freezing can alter the texture and consistency of some dairy products such as sour cream and ranch dressing. It will still taste ok but might not be as creamy as before.
Making smoked buffalo chicken dip is super easy, but here a few top tips and suggestions to ensure you get excellent results each time you make this recipe.
- Quickly soften the cream cheese to mix up your dip, by heating it in the microwave briefly.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preferences.
- Shred up or chunk the chicken into small pieces for easier dipping!
More Easy Party Recipes
Do you enjoy entertaining and cooking for others? Here some recipes you may also like to try
Do you have questions about making smoked buffalo chicken dip? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about when making this easy smoked dip recipe.
For best results heat up leftovers in the oven. Transfer it to a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray and heat at 350° F until warm and bubbly. You can also heat in a microwave if you prefer.
If you don’t have a smoker, add liquid smoke or smoked paprika along with the other ingredients when mixing it up to give it the smokey flavor. Whichever you choose, add in small amounts until it reaches the smokey flavor you prefer.
Then to heat the dip, place the baking dish in a preheated 350° F oven for 20-30 minutes. The dip is ready when it is bubbly, heated through and slightly browned on top.
Yes, you can mix up the dip ahead of time, especially if you are preparing for a party and looking for things to prepare days in advance. I recommend mixing it up and storing in an airtight container 48-72 hours in advance of cooking.
When you’re ready to heat it, remove it from the refrigerator, stir it up and transfer to the baking pan. I like to let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes before smoking to warm up to room temperature a bit. It may take longer to heat up if you cook it straight from the refrigerator.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Smokey Buffalo Chicken Dip
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- large bowl
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 3 ½ – 4 cups rotisserie chicken or chicken breast cooked, shredded or chopped
- ⅔ cup Buffalo wing sauce
- ⅔ cup ranch or blue cheese salad dressing
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ – 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup cheese shredded to sprinkle on top when almost finished smoking
- onion powder to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- extra hot sauce or crushed red chili flakes for spicier flavor
- vegetable sticks or slices, corn or tortilla chips, pretzels, crackers or baguette slices for dipping
- green onions thinly sliced, sprinkled over the top for garnish
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Prepare a 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo wing sauce and dressing.
- Add chicken, 1 ½ – 2 cups of cheese and stir until blended.
- Taste your dip and see if it needs salt, pepper, garlic powder or onion powder. I usually don’t put any in.
- Spread into your prepared pan. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Smoke at 250* for about 60-90 minutes.
- Check every 20 minutes or so and wait for the top to to turn golden brown.
- Everything is already cooked, you’re just looking to make sure everything is heated through and has a chance to absorb that smokey flavor.
- Serve with baguette slices, celery sticks or corn or tortilla chips
- Enjoy every bite!