If you're a fan of McDonald's buffalo sauce, now you can make it at home in a matter of minutes! This copycat buffalo sauce is easy to prepare and makes the perfect dipping sauce for crispy chicken tenders, nuggets and so much more!
My favorite sauce for eating with McDonald's chicken nuggets is their spicy buffalo sauce. I just love the spicy, tangy flavors so much I wanted to find a way to make it at home so I could enjoy it whenever the mood strikes!!
Copycat Buffalo Sauce from McDonald's
This recipe uses a handful of easy-to-find ingredients you should be able to pick during a quick trip to the store.
- Frank's® Red-Hot™sauce
- I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® liquid margarine
- Dry pectin
- Unflavored gelatin
- Corn starch
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
See the recipe card further down on the page for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
This copycat McDonald's buffalo sauce is easy to make in just one step and a few minutes.
Step 1: Mix and Cook the Sauce
Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Use the whisk to smooth out all of the lumps in the sauce while bringing it to a boil.
Once the mixture has started bubbling, remove it from heat and let it cool to room temperature before storing it in a small airtight container or jar in the refrigerator.
Hint: Recycle empty jam and condiment jars to store sauces in the refrigerator. It's a great way to save some money, good for the environment and they're clear so it's easy to see what's inside.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to changing how you prepare McDonald's buffalo sauce.
- Cornstarch - Swap out with tapioca flour.
- Garlic powder - Swap out with half a clove of finely grated garlic.
Here are some interesting and new ways you can serve up this copycat buffalo sauce to add some spice and flavor to meals.
- Dip it! - Use it as a dip for fries, chicken nuggets, tenders and so much more!
- Mix it in! - Mix it with alfredo sauce, ranch dressing or greek yogurt to make spicy buffalo-flavored sauces.
- Toss it! - Chicken wings, shredded pork and meatballs are all great ideas to toss in this buffalo sauce to create delicious tasting meals.
If you love buffalo sauce recipes like this one, you may also enjoy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta.
All you need are three simple pieces of kitchen equipment to prepare this buffalo sauce recipe.
- Jars or storage container for storage.
Store this copycat buffalo sauce in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.
Here are a few quick tips to make sure this recipe comes out perfectly each and every time.
- Use a whisk rather than a spoon to mix the ingredients together to more easily get rid of any lumps!
- For a less spicy (though it's still hot) buffalo sauce, you can leave out the cayenne pepper.
- Make sure you use unflavored gelatin when making this recipe.
Do you have questions about McDonald's buffalo sauce? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
No, this recipe contains gelatin and also dairy in the hot sauce so it is not vegan. Try this vegan buffalo sauce recipe on Kitchen Divas instead.
This copycat McDonald's buffalo sauce can't be stored in the freezer.
Hot sauce is pureed hot peppers, salt, and vinegar. Buffalo sauce is hot sauce with melted butter added to it.
More Spicy Sauce Recipes
Do you like your food on the spicy side of things? Here are some recipes you may also like to try:
McDonald's Buffalo Sauce
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Copycat McDonald's Buffalo Sauce
- Gather up all your ingredients to make the sauce.
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the buffalo sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue stirring until all of the lumps are smooth while bringing to a boil.
- Once the mixture has started bubbling, remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Store in a small, lidded container in the refrigerator.
- Serve it up on the side of your favorite foods...
- as a dipping sauce and more!