Awesome Alfredo Sauce is fast, easy and delicious. Only a few ingredients, this sauce is easier than you think to make! Homemade is always so much better than store bought!
Sometimes I add more garlic and sometimes less. With this sauce, the key is tasting it as you go and once it is made. We are garlic lovers here so I always add more than the recipe calls for! I just can’t help it! You have some options with the cheese in this Awesome Alfredo Sauce recipe. Occasionally I add ½ cup mozzarella and ¾ cup parmesan instead of just parmesan cheese. Also so tasty. I can’t wait to hear which version you prefer!
You can easily add vegetables to this Awesome Alfredo Sauce. I have been known to sauté whichever vegetables I have on hand. Everything from broccoli and zucchini to mushrooms, onions and peppers. I figure this sauce is so good anything goes and no one ever complains!
All you have to do is choose your favorite pasta and you have an awesome meal, perfect for any occasion! Check out my Loaded Awesome Alfredo Pasta recipe. It is delicious and will suggest specific ways to prepare your own loaded pasta dish.
Awesome Alfredo Sauce is called awesome for a reason! For years I purchased alfredo sauce in a jar. I haven’t served my family a store bought version, unless needed, ever since and they can tell the difference! So will you!
Especially in our Little Alfredo Bacon and Cheese Potatoes. Boy oh boy are these potatoes delicious! I really can’t say enough about how tasty I think they are.
Ingredients for Awesome Alfredo Sauce
- heavy or whipping cream
- parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes, hot sauce or sriracha (to taste)
- minced garlic
- parsley, dried or fresh
- your favorite pasta
How to Make Awesome Alfredo Sauce
In a saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium low heat.
Add cream, increase temperature to medium high and bring to a gentle boil.
Reduce back to medium low and simmer.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add the garlic, parsley and parmesan.
Whisk constantly until cheese is totally melted.
Make pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup of cooked pasta water (approximately) to thin your sauce if necessary.
Drain pasta and toss with sauce to combine.
*If you are adding any vegetables or meat to the sauce, sauté, boil or bake first until totally cooked and then toss with pasta and sauce just before serving.
Awesome Alfredo Sauce Variations
- instead of just parmesan cheese use ½ cup mozzarella and ¾ cup parmesan
- broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, peppers, spinach, peas, asparagus, corn and the list goes on…
- if you are in a hurry, you can use a frozen vegetable blend and just add them to the sauce before you add the pasta
- Italian seasoning
- cajun seasoning
- instead of regular garlic use roasted garlic
- ham, bacon, shrimp, chicken or sausage, sliced steak
- use a shredded store bought rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken
Tips for Making Awesome Alfredo Sauce
- Reserve approximately 1 cup cooking water right before draining the pasta to thin your sauce if needed, a few tablespoons at a time. When pasta is still in the water and cooked I grab a measuring cup, with a handle, and scoop out about 1 cup of the pasta water and set it aside. Then I drain the pasta in my colander or strainer in the sink and then into the large pot.
- Use freshly grated parmesan cheese if at all possible. It not only melts better but it tastes so much better too.
- The first time you make this recipe it will take you less than 30 minutes. After that you should be able to get it down to 20 minutes of total cook time with 2 pans going at once! One for the pasta and one the sauce!
- Never use flour or cornstarch to thicken this sauce, it might result in a pasty, glue like texture as it cools.
- Start cooking your pasta of choice first, so the cooled pasta can be added to the sauce right before you serve it. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools, so make sure EVERYTHING is ready before starting your sauce.
- Alfredo is best served immediately and hot. However, it can be reheated, over low heat, slowly on your stove top or in the microwave if there are any leftovers! It will last in your refrigerator for up to 3 days in a sealed, airtight container.
- Some kinds or brands of Parmesan cheese can be quite salty so be sure to taste as you go.
- Don’t add oil to your pasta water as it will stop the sauce from covering or coating the pasta.
- Cook the pasta until just underdone and allow it to finish cooking in the sauce so it can absorb the flavors and marry with the sauce.
More Delicious Pasta Dishes to Try
Awesome Alfredo Sauce tastes so good, is comfort food at its finest, and definitely restaurant quality! I think actually better and I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Awesome Alfredo Sauce Video
Awesome Alfredo Sauce
- large skillet
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (35%)
- ½ cup butter - or 1 stick
- 1 ¼ cups Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 2 tblsp garlic, minced or to taste
- 2 tblsp parsley, dried or ¼ cup fresh
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or , hot sauce or sriracha to taste
- In a saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add cream, increase temperature to medium high and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce back to medium low and simmer for 7-9 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently. Add the garlic, parsley and parmesan. Whisk constantly until cheese is totally melted, about 3 minutes.
- Make pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water to thin sauce if necessary. Drain pasta and toss with sauce to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If you are adding vegetables or meat to the sauce, sauté, boil or bake first until totally cooked and toss with pasta just before serving. Enjoy!