This boozy hot chocolate gift jar is full layers of hot chocolate powder, powdered creamer, chocolate chunks, marshmallows, and a cookie. Gift it alongside little bottles of liquor for your friends and family to sip on during the holidays!
Hot chocolate has been a classic, comforting beverage for centuries. Its rich cocoa flavors and irresistible combination of velvety smoothness and frothy warmth make it perfect on a cold winter day.
As the cold weather creeps in and the holiday season approaches, hot chocolate gifts become a popular choice for many people looking for a cozy yet delightful present for their friends, family, coworkers, or loved ones.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It's a festive gift idea that uses super simple ingredients.
- It's easy to make, requiring only layering the ingredients.
- The layers are as pretty as they are delicious, making this a perfect gift for any foodie.
- It perfectly captures all the winter and holiday feels.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this fun boozy hot chocolate holiday gift jar, and they're all available at your local grocery store and craft store. Be sure to check the recipe card for the exact quantities.
- Hot chocolate packets: Use the packets for easy measurement! You can use your favorite brand.
- Powdered creamer: The same powdered cream you use in coffee.
- Chocolate chunks: For more intense chocolate flavor. It also gives you more control over the flavor of the hot chocolate. You can use dark chocolate for a more intense, less sweet flavor or milk chocolate for a smoother, sweeter flavor.
- Mini marshmallows: The mini-sized marshmallows work best!
- Chocolate chip cookies: To add to the top of jar!
- Candy canes: Adds a festive touch.
- Assorted shot bottles: Choose your favorite flavor!
- Packaging: There's lots of flexibility here but I am using Mason jars, 6x6 fabric squares, ribbons, and instruction cards which you print or handwrite.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Gift Jars
It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps to both make the hot chocolate layers and decorate them. You'll be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
The highlights are below, but you'll find the exact directions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Divide the ingredients evenly between the mason jars, making layers of hot chocolate mix, coffee cream, chocolate chunks, and marshmallows in that order.
- Top each jar with a cookie.
- Top the jars with a piece of fabric and screw on the lid. Trim the fabric to your liking.
- Tie a candy cane on top of the jar with a ribbon.
- Add a shot bottle to the jar and secure it with a ribbon.
Hint: Use a double bow to hold the candy cane and shot glass securely to the mason jars.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy these hot chocolate truffles.
- Use fresh ingredients to ensure that the mix lasts as long as possible.
- Choose high-quality chocolate for a super-rich flavor.
- Red, green, or white ribbon really gives this gift a holiday pop!
- These boozy hot chocolate gift jars will last for up to 6 months unopened.
- The size of the jar you use will depend on the hot chocolate packet you buy. The smaller packs will need 8 ounce jars and the larger packets or the tubs of hot chocolate powder will need 15 ounce jars.
- Choose a mix of colored ribbon for a fun color pop! You could also use twine or twine and ribbon together.
- Use the instructions on the box of hot cocoa packets to write up your instructions to provide with each gift jar.
Crushed candy canes, Oreo crumbles, cocoa powder, Nutella, or caramel chips all work great added to a cup of hot chocolate.
Cream-based, cinnamon, or apple-flavored liquors work best. You might also enjoy Rum, Baileys, Kahlua, Fireball, apple rum, Jack-O-Lantern Captain Morgan, or Hazelnut liquor.
Hot cocoa and hot chocolate are terms that are often used interchangeably, but they are different. Hot cocoa uses a sweetened cocoa powder mix, while hot chocolate uses a melted chocolate mixture.
If you add the cookie, they will stay fresh for a couple weeks. If you make them without the cookie the ingredients will stay fresh for up to three months.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Do you like hot chocolate? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
Ready to make this recipe? You can print it out below!
Boozy Hot Chocolate Gift Jar
- 6 8 oz mason jar
- 6 8 oz mason jars
- 6 hot chocolate packets
- 12 tablespoons powdered creamer 2 for each jar
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 chocolate chip cookies small enough to fit inside the jar
- 6 6x6 inch fabric squares
- 9 feet of ribbon cut into 6 (1.5) foot sections
- 6 assorted shot bottles
- 6 candy canes
- 6 instruction cards printed out or handwritten and according to the instructions for the hot cocoa mix
- Fill the jars. Pour a pack of cocoa mix into each jar. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered creamer to each jar. Divide the chocolate chunks and marshmallows evenly between the jars to fill the jars. Top each jar with a chocolate chip cookie.
- Seal the jars. Lay a fabric square over the top metal seal of each jar and screw the lid over it to hold it in place. Trim the fabric to remove the corners. You can trim it close to the jar lid or farther out to make a nice ruffle around the jar.
- Adorn. Use the ribbon to tie a candy cane to the top of the jar, this should be a double knot to hold tight. Then tie a shot bottle with a bow with each candy cane.
- Add instructions. Fix 1 instruction card to the front of each jar with double-sided tape or you can tie it in with the bow using a hole punch in the instruction card.
This post was originally published April 2018. It's been updated with new content and images.