These hot chocolate truffles combine simple ingredients to create a rich, chocolaty cup of hot chocolate that always hits the spot. These hot cocoa truffles are decadent and delicious.
These truffles are a new take on an old favorite - hot cocoa bombs. Rather than a hard outer shell, these are made just like truffles, which means you can pour hot milk over them OR you can just eat them!
Hot Cocoa Truffles
This was inspired by my other hot chocolate truffle recipe with peppermint on this site and pairs well with this amazing biscotti recipe collection.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe. You'll find them all easily in your kitchen or your local grocery store.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
See the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
Making these truffles is even easier than rounding up all the ingredients. These are super simple and super fast.
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients
Place all the ingredients in a pot and melt on low heat until smooth, stirring constantly.
Step 2: Chill
Cool the mixture in the refrigerator until it's stiff enough to scoop.
Step 3: Roll into Balls
Scoop out the mixture in 2-tablespoon portions and chill in the freezer for at least an hour. Then, remove them from the freezer and roll them into balls.
Step 4: Coat
Coat the truffles in cocoa powder.
Step 5: Make Hot Chocolate
Place one truffle at bottom of mug unless mug holds two cups of cream. Then we add two ctruffles and two cups of hot cream! Stir until truffle dissolved and enjoy every sip.
Hint: If you decide to go with mini marshmallows, you'll need to really push the marshmallows into the chocolate balls to ensure that they stick.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change these hot cocoa truffles.
- Chocolate Chunks - If you don't have chocolate chips, you can use chocolate chunks.
- Half and Half - If you don't have heavy cream, you can use half and half.
Want to personalize this hot chocolate truffles recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate - Add a pinch of cayenne to the mix to make Mexican hot chocolate.
- Peppermint - Add peppermint extract to make peppermint hot chocolate.
- No cocoa - Roll truffles in crushed peppermints, cinnamon, mini marshmallows!
You'll only need a few pieces of equipment to make this recipe.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Container for chilling
- Shallow dish
You can store these truffles in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an air-tight container. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 6 months in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
As easy as this recipe is, I have a couple of tips to help ensure they come out the best that they possibly can.
- Be sure you chill your truffles for at least an hour - longer if possible - so they're easy to mold into balls and coat with your favorite ingredients.
- Always store these in the refrigerator or the freezer.
Do you have questions about these hot cocoa truffles? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about hot chocolate truffles.
They'll keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Open-air freeze them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then, transfer them to a heavy-duty, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
You can double, triple, or quadruple it to meet your needs. The ratios don't change.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Do you like hot chocolate? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Hot Chocolate Truffles
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Hot Chocolate Truffles
- Place ingredients in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Start with cream, then chocolate chips, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Melt over medium heat until smooth. Stir constantly and pour into a bowl.
- Let cool inside the fridge until set or hard enough to scoop.
- Make your scoops about 2 tablespoons each. Place them on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and place in freezer for and hour.
- Remove scoops, roll into balls.
- Roll in your choice of decoration. Crushed candy cane, cocoa, cinnamon, mini marshmallows. (If you try the mini marshmallows, you really have to push the marshmallows into the chocolate balls.)
- Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and keep chilled until ready to use.
- When ready, drop chocolate ball or balls into 1 or 2 cups of hot milk and stir!