Hot chocolate ice cream, an easy no-churn ice cream that tastes just like frozen hot chocolate! This creamy, decadent chocolate ice cream with fluffy marshmallows is sure to be everyone’s new favorite ice cream flavor!!
I dreamed up this recipe on a hot summer day when I was craving the flavors of hot chocolate. Hot cocoa mix gives the ice cream tons of chocolatey flavor and tiny little marshmallows give it the authentic look of a cup of hot chocolate you can scoop into your favorite ice cream cone or bowl!
Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
Ice cream is by far one of my favorite desserts to eat year-round, even when it's freezing cold outside. To make things even better, this simple five-ingredient recipe doesn't require an ice cream maker. Just combine all the ingredients, store it in the freezer and it's ready to go in about 4-6 hours.
This easy homemade ice cream recipe is made with only five easy ingredients that you can easily find at most grocery stores.
- whole milk
- heavy whipping cream sometimes called heavy cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- hot cocoa mix
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
Making hot chocolate-flavored ice cream is super simple and perfect for any level cook.
Step 1: Step 2: Mix the Liquids
Use an electric mixer to whisk the milk, cream, and condensed milk together in a medium bowl until homogenous.
Step 2: Add the flavors
Once the milks are mixed well, add the marshmallows and cocoa powder and whisk again until well combined and there are no lumps of cocoa mix.
Step 3: Get Ready for the Freezer
Pour the mixture into a 9x11 loaf pan and place in the freezer to set for 4-6 hours.
Once the ice cream is frozen, serve and enjoy!
Hint: If you want the marshmallows mixed into the ice cream, hold off on adding them prior to freezing. Freeze the chocolate ice cream for two hours so it partially freezes. Then stir in the marshmallows and continue freezing the ice cream the remaining time.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this hot chocolate flavored ice cream recipe.
- Hot cocoa mix - instead of hot cocoa mix, you can use cocoa powder. This substitution will also give the ice cream a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Whole milk - use low fat milk instead of whole milk though ice cream may be slightly less creamy and have an icy texture.
Want to personalize this hot chocolate ice cream recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe. For each alternative, add the additional ingredients along with the hot cocoa mix in step 3.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate - add a dash of cinnamon and chili pepper for the flavors of a frozen Mexican hot chocolate.
- Peppermint - add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract or crushed peppermint candies.
- Pumpkin spice - stir in 2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin in place of the marshmallows and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Espresso - stir in 1-3 teaspoons of espresso powder.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe.
This simple recipe requires only a few pieces of standard kitchen equipment to make:
- Electric hand mixer
- 9 x 11 Loaf pan
- Ice cream scoop
Store this ice cream in the freezer. For best flavor, eat within 7 days or transfer to an airtight container to store for up to 1 month.
I've got some special tips for you to make sure your hot chocolate ice cream comes out perfectly. Be sure to take note and don't make the same mistakes I have before.
- For a softer texture, this ice cream is ready to eat in about 4-6 hours. If you prefer a harder ice cream, let it set overnight.
- Use a whisk to stir in the hot cocoa mix and continue whisking until all the lumps are dissolved.
- For a richer chocolately flavor, use cocoa powder instead of hot cocoa mix.
- The marshmallows will float to the top in the freezer. To prevent this from happening, wait to add the marshmallows until the ice cream is partially frozen, about 2-4 hours.
More Ice Cream Recipes
Do you like new and interesting ways to eat ice cream and? Here are some recipes you may also like to try
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream with Snickers Sauce
- Brownie Ice Cream Cake with Peanut Butter
- How to Make Ice Cream Pie with Cake
Do you have questions about making homemade hot chocolate-flavored ice cream? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about it.
Be sure to stir in the hot cocoa mix or cocoa powder fully into the liquid when making this ice cream. Using a whisk will help incorporate it more fully into the milk, removing any lumps and the grainy texture.
No churn ice cream may harden up and be difficult to scoop. If this is the case, let the ice cream sit on the counter at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before scooping. You can also place hot water in a mug and dip your ice scoop into the water to make it easier to scoop into the ice cream.
Ice cream takes on an icy texture when it doesn't have the right fat content. If you swap out the whipping cream for half and half or the whole milk for lower fat milk, the ice cream may take on an icier texture.
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- In a medium sized bowl, use an electric mixer to whisk the milk, cream, and condensed milk together until homogenous.
- Once well combined, add the marshmallows and cocoa powder and whisk again until well combined.
- If you would like to better prevent the marshmallows from floating to the top, you can freeze the ice cream for about two hours before mixing in the marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x11 loaf pan and place in the freezer to set for 4-6 hours if not overnight.
- Use an ice cream scoop to serve.
- Decide how you wish to serve your hot chocolate ice cream.
- Serve scoops in a bowl.
- Or in an ice cream cone.