This Easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe includes a list of ingredients, a great method and how to make the best creamy mushroom soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
This Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe is a delicious bowl of comfort for me. My grandmother made soups all the time and I always think of her when I make soup and eat it.
I remember picking mushrooms with my grandfather and returning back to my grandmother and helping her make soup with some of the mushrooms. I used to love helping both of them, whenever I could.
My grandfather had two huge gardens and I remember helping him pick anything and everything! He loved life on the farm. My grandmother wasn't as keen on it as he was but she supported him until the end.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
This classic soup is so good that you’ll never open a can of cream of mushroom soup again after trying our easy recipe!
Full flavoured with garlic, onions or shallots, mushrooms, broth, dry sherry, dry white wine or apple cider, nutmeg and lemon juice!
Once blended (or not) you end up with a warm bowl of creamy comfort in no time at all, using ingredients you may already have in your kitchen!
This soup is amazing because of the ingredients we choose to use and the method we make this soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- heavy or whipping cream
- dry sherry, dry white wine or apple cider
- shallots or onions
- nutmeg, tarragon or thyme
- lemon juice
How to make Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat.
Add shallots or onions and saute, stirring frequently.
Stir in garlic and nutmeg, tarragon or thyme
Increase heat to medium and add chopped mushrooms.
Cook, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are cooked and tender.
Add broth and water.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Then reduce heat to low and simmer.
Puree soup in small batches in your blender until smooth.
Return soup to pot.
Stir in dry sherry (if using) and cream.
Bring to simmer over low heat.
Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Can you make mushroom soup without cream?
You bet you can, just skip adding it in the recipe. This soup still turns out beautifully without it and I don't always add it myself. Sometimes I am just not in the mood for cream in my mushroom soup.
Can you make Creamy Mushroom Soup ahead of time?
You can make this Cream of Mushroom Soup a couple of days in advance without the cream until you are ready reheat and serve it.
How do you store Cream of Mushroom Soup?
You can store this soup in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 and maybe 4 days. Reheat gently on your stove or in your microwave.
Can you freeze Cream of Mushroom Soup?
This soup freezes beautifully WITHOUT the cream being added to it for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Remember to leave an inch at least at the top of your container for the soup to expand.
Once your soup is defrosted, heated and ready to serve, that is the moment when you will need to add cream if you decide to use it at all.
Can you use this soup instead of Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Condensed cream of mushroom soup is so much thicker, or condensed, so it CANNOT be used as a substitute.
Options for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- use different mushrooms like cremini (baby portobello mushrooms or Baby Bellas), button mushrooms, shiitake, oyster or chanterelle mushrooms or any other wild mushrooms to the soup to enhance, alter and create more intense, earthier mushroom flavors in your soup
- use coconut milk instead of cream for a dairy free option
- add shredded chicken
- change the type of broth you use between chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- switch between nutmeg, thyme or tarragon
- remember to taste your soup before serving it and adjust the amount of salt and pepper as needed
- always use heavy or whipping cream to make this soup and you do not need to add a lot of it
I have included a list of our favorite cream soups below and it's funny but I don't always include the cream in all of them because they ALL taste great without it, in our opinion.
We recommend tasting your soup before adding the cream, whenever possible, or use less to get the taste you are looking for or desire.
I also don't always blend or puree the soups after they are made. Sometimes I just don't feel like doing it and other times I am just in the mood for a chunky soup. Taste yours and see what you prefer.
Best Cream Soup Recipes Ever
Other Soup Recipes to Try
What To Serve With Soup
Soup is a meal that should always include a side dish. For ideas, go to What to Serve With Chicken and Dumplings.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Video
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- large skillet or sauce pan
- 3 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 5 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- ½-3/4 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup dry sherry, dry white wine or apple cider optional
- ½ cup water, more or less to taste (optional) I rarely use water myself
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup shallots or, onions, diced
- 1 tblsp garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground, tarragon or thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 lemon
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Get out your ingredients you are about to make an amazing soup!
- Chop up your onions.
- Chop up your mushrooms.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add shallots or onions and saute, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and nutmeg, tarragon or thyme, about 1 minute longer.
- Increase heat to medium and add chopped mushrooms. Make sure to stir so they are all coated with butter.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Mushrooms should be cooked and tender.
- Add broth (and water if using). Cover and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes longer.
- Pour soup into a large bowl. Rinse and dry your pot.
- Puree soup in batches in blender until smooth, filling blender only halfway for each batch. Return soup to pot.
- Stir in dry sherry, dry white wine or apple cider (if using) and cream and bring to gentle simmer over low heat.
- Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
- Can be refrigerated for 3 days. If making ahead, add cream at serving time.