This delicious creamy herb dip makes the perfect appetizer for any occasion. This tasty sour cream herb dip is loaded with fresh from the garden flavors that everyone loves.
Ken and I love making dips. From parties to movie nights or just an afternoon snack, dips are one of our go-to snacks. This one is so creamy and delicious, we pair it with almost anything.
Sour Cream Herb Dip
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious dip. It only takes a quick jaunt down a couple of aisles at your local grocery store to get everything you need!
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese, softened, optional
- Garlic, minced
- Minced fresh parsley leaves
- Minced fresh chives, minced
- Minced fresh tarragon leaves, dill, cilantro, or basil leaves, optional
- Bottled or freshly-squeezed lemon juice
See the recipe card at the end of the post for quantities.
Like any dip recipe, this one is super easy to make. It only takes a few minutes and a couple of simple steps to make it!
Step 1: Cream the ingredients
Using a hand-held or stand mixer, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese (optional), garlic, parsley, chives, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Then, add the tarragon, cilantro, basil, or dill if you’re using those, and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Chill
Refrigerate the prepared dip until set. A minimum of one hour works, but longer makes it taste even better.
Hint: If you use cream cheese, be sure it’s completely softened for the best possible texture.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this sour cream herb dip recipe.
- Green Onions – Green onions work well if you don’t have chives.
- Canned Minced Garlic – If you don’t have fresh garlic to mince, use minced garlic from a jar.
Want to personalize this creamy herb dip recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy – Try adding red pepper flakes for a kick of heat to go with the cool creaminess of the dip.
- Low Fat – You can use low fat sour cream and cream cheese for this recipe if you want to reduce calories.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy this sour cream veggie dip.
It takes almost no equipment to make this recipe. All you need are a few basic kitchen implements.
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Hand-held or stand mixer
- Container for storage
This dip will keep in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for about 3 days.
Although this recipe is incredibly easy, there are still a couple of tips here to help you make it the best dip possible.
- If you use cream cheese in this recipe, fully soften it for the best texture.
- The longer you chill this dip before serving the better. Make it the night before for optimal flavor.
More Dip Recipes
If you love dip recipe, then here are some more that you might enjoy.
Do you have questions about this creamy herb dip recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about sour cream herb dip.
How long is this dip good?
This dip will last for about 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze this dip?
No. The texture will completely change due to freezing and thawing.
What can I serve with creamy herb dip?
This dip pairs wonderfully with chips, crackers, pretzels, and vegetables.
Why is my dip lumpy?
If you used cream cheese, you probably didn’t let it soften completely.
Creamy Herb Dip
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Creamy Herb Dip
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese softened, optional
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- ⅓ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- ⅓ cup fresh chives or green onions minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves dill, cilantro, or basil leaves, optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, using a handheld or stand mixer, combine mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, if using, garlic, parsley, chives or green onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add tarragon, cilantro, basil or dill if you want to. Blend until nice and smooth.
- Refrigerate until set, at least an hour but honestly the longer the better. When I make this dip I do so in the morning so by the evening the flavors have totally melded together.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables or crackers. Enjoy every bite!