Air fryer coconut shrimp has everything we love about fried shrimp without everything we don't love about frying. Crispy and perfectly cooked, this spicy air fryer shrimp with pina colada sauce is a beach-side feast no matter where you are.
I've been a fan of shrimp since the first moment that I tasted it. It has such a distinct flavor and taste that I can't help but crave more.
And since the air fryer is now one of the most popular cooking methods out there, I can't help but love the ease of using it to cook shrimp perfectly each and every time.
The great thing about cooking shrimp is that it has a ton of different textures that can happen. When you bake shrimp, it's nice and tender, and when you fry shrimp, it holds a wonderful crisp.
And let's not forget that shrimp can be eaten hot or cold as well which is all part of the fun reasoning behind enjoying it!
Easy Broiled Lemon Garlic Shrimp is one of my favorite lemon shrimp recipes and I just love the taste of this Air Fried Popcorn Chicken with Garlic Parmesan Flavor as well. Two totally different flavors and two totally different textures but both delicious in their own way!
Spicy Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp with Piña Colada Sauce
There are two things happening with this air fryer coconut shrimp recipe. First of all, we have the delicious, crispy coating of this shrimp surrounding the perfectly cooked shrimp itself.
Second, we have a spicy, creamy coconut shrimp dipping sauce, or more specifically our pina colada sauce, for dipping the shrimp. Our pineapple dipping sauce goes beautifully with the coconut shrimp.
When combined, you get two great tastes that taste even better together.
If you love seafood, you're going to love this recipe - especially if you like your seafood fried.
The best part of cooking up this coconut shrimp in the air fryer is that it's just as crispy as deep fried shrimp, but it's not bathed in oil, and it's so much better for you. There's also no mess, which is fantastic!
So essentially, what you get with this coconut shrimp in air fryer recipe is all the wonderful parts of frying with none of the bad. You also get an absolutely delicious tropical flavor that just screams summer.
And let's not forget the creamy coconut shrimp dipping sauce. Our pina colada sauce is out of this world good. MmmMMM.
It's an absolute dream of a recipe. Just you wait and see.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Ingredients
The ingredient list for this air fryer coconut shrimp is super simple. You just need the shrimp and the batter ingredients, and you're good to go.
You probably already have most if not all of these ingredients in your kitchen already, so you'll probably only need to buy the shrimp. It doesn't get much simpler than that!
- 1 lb raw jumbo shrimp, peel and devein and keep the tails on
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if desired
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¾ cup shredded coconut flakes
Creamy Coconut Shrimp Dipping Sauce Ingredients
Just like the shrimp itself, the ingredients for this creamy coconut shrimp dipping sauce are fairly straightforward. Outside of the pina colada mix, you more than likely have all the ingredients needed to make this sauce in your kitchen.
This is the best pineapple dipping sauce for coconut shrimp and I kid you not.
Again, it's easy peasy lemon squeesy. Well, lime, in this case. 😉
- 1-½ cups piña colada mix
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons crushed pineapple
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Dash of salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch
How to cook Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
While the full printable recipe is listed below, here are a few simple steps that will give you an idea of how simple this air fryer coconut shrimp recipe is!
Creating the batter for the shrimp
Since you're going to be frying the shrimp in your air fryer, make certain that you coat the shrimp well in the batter! The entire piece of shrimp needs to be covered well.
Making homemade dipping sauce
This recipe for a homemade pina colada sauce or dip is simple but make certain that you add all the ingredients and let it come to a boil on the stove. This is key to having it reduce and become thick for perfect dipping.
Once it thickens, you will be straining it to get rid of anything that isn't smooth as you don't want a dip that is clumpy!
Cooking the shrimp in the air fryer
The biggest thing to keep in mind when you're cooking the shrimp is that they need to be placed in the air fryer with space. If you layer them, they won't crisp up. This means that you'll have to cook 2-3 batches to get through them all.
Once the first batch has cooked, make certain to give it a few minutes to cool as they'll continue to crisp up at that point in time. You can drizzle on a bit of lime juice as well, which is optional but does go great with the dipping sauce flavor.
The biggest thing about getting shrimp crispy is that you can easily use your air fryer to make it happen. If you've ever tried to fry up shrimp on the stovetop with a skillet and grease - you know it's a nightmare! (and not to mention unhealthy with all that oil and fat!)
Once I realized that I didn't have to put myself through the mess and clean up of frying shrimp in a skillet on the stove, I knew that life was forever changed.
This air fryer coconut shrimp recipe is not only good, but it's simple as well. Find out how to make this fried shrimp recipe taste amazing with less fat and grease than other recipes out there.
How Long Does it Take to Make Air Fried Shrimp?
This air fryer coconut shrimp recipe is only 7 minutes per batch! You most definitely have time for that! That means that you can have a delicious dinner or appetizer on the table in less than 10 minutes of time.
Dip Ideas for Coconut Shrimp Air Fryer Recipe
One of my favorite things to do when eating shrimp is to dip them! And honestly, you can use whatever type of dip that you want. Here is a list of all of our favorite dips if you want to have a look. I am pretty sure you'll be glad you did!
I really do like ketchup and BBQ sauce for shrimp but I've also created a delicious, creamy coconut shrimp dipping sauce as I've already mentioned. Our homemade pina colada sauce is definitely worth a try for dipping.
There's something about making a pineapple dipping sauce for coconut shrimp and I really think you're going to love it as well.
Of course, I highly encourage you to try this pina colada sauce with this recipe first, but after that, the sky's the limit when it comes to creamy dipping sauces. Use almost anything you like or have a look at our favorite dips.
Tips for Frying Shrimp in the Air Fryer
Pay attention to your air fryer and how it's cooking up the shrimp. If the shrimp look too dark, you can reduce the frying time per side to just 3 minutes.
You're also going to want to spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray or the shrimp will stick. This will tear of the coating which is the last thing that you want to happen!
Remember what I've said in the past about spraying your fryer basket. Don't just give it a cursory spray. Nice, even strokes to thoroughly coat it are the way to go. Otherwise, you'll have spots where the shrimp sticks. Don't go overboard, but don't skimp, either.
What To Serve With Coconut Shrimp
This air fryer shrimp with pina colada sauce is such a classic summer seafood dish. To that end, I created a list of our favorite sides to serve with coconut shrimp. I recommend serving it with classic seafood sides, as well. Great sides to pair with this shrimp include:
- Mac and Cheese
- Steamed Vegetables
- Home Fries
- Potato Wedges
- And so much more.
So there you have it folks...an excellent list of sides to pair with the shrimp. But what happens if you need to take them to a party or get together and you want to create a platter to bring with you? Well, no worries. Check out this link of super awesome finger foods that you can serve to make you the GOAT (greatest of all time) in other's eyes!
Storing Air Fryer Shrimp
You can store this air fryer coconut shrimp in the refrigerator for up to three days in an air-tight container. Be aware, however, that it's best served the day it's cooked.
While the shrimp will still be safe to eat, it won't be nearly as good as when it's freshly made. The battered coating will lose its crispiness, even when reheated.
That being said, the taste is so good, you might not care if the crispiness is gone. These air fried coconut shrimp are that good.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Monster Cookies - Chocolate Chips and More!
- Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Easy Cheesecake Chimichangas - Air Fried, Deep Fried or Baked!
Try This Spicy Air Fried Coconut Shrimp for Yourself
Get ready to love the flavor and taste of this delicious shrimp recipe! It's perfect for the summer months or any time of the year! Don't forget to pair this simple coconut shrimp air fryer recipe up with anything that you love to dip it with and treat yourself and your tastebuds to something truly delicious.
This is great for parties, weekend gatherings, or just a fast and easy snack at home! There's no wrong time to make this tasty fried shrimp recipe with our creamy coconut shrimp dipping sauce!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp with Piña Colada Sauce
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- In a shallow bowl or on a large plate, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. This will be the first station used for preparing the shrimp for cooking.
- In a medium size bowl, beat together the eggs and hot sauce. Beat until both are thoroughly combined. This will be the second station for the shrimp.
- In another shallow bowl or large plate, combine the bread crumbs with the coconut flakes. Sift together until well combined. This will be the final station for the shrimp.
- Stir until each are combined.
- Be sure all of the shrimp are peeled and the tails are still intact.
- Taking each shrimp one by one, or in batches of 5-7 at a time, place the shrimp in the flour mixture and coat evenly around each shrimp.
- After the shrimp are fully coated in the flour mixture, submerge the shrimp in the egg mixture, covering completely.
- Lastly, remove the shrimp from the egg mixture and place in the bread crumb and coconut flake combination. Be sure to allow the bread crumb mixture to cover the shrimp entirely.
- Set aside while you prepare your dipping sauce.
- To begin your dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients inside a medium cooking skillet. Combine well and heat over high heat until boiling.
- Once your sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- When sauce has completed simmering, pour the dish through a small or medium strainer into a separate bowl. Discard what is left in the strainer and set the strained sauce aside for serving. It should be a silky smooth texture.
- After each shrimp has gone through all three stations, place inside the air fryer for cooking. Only place enough shrimp to cover the bottom of the air fryer. Be sure not to layer shrimp or have them tough too much. You will likely load 2-3 batches to cook the entire dish.
- Cook shrimp at 385 degrees for 4 minutes if unit is not preheated, otherwise 3 minutes. After cooking time is complete, carefully flip shrimp over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- When shrimp are fully cooked, carefully remove from the air fryer and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Pina Colada dipping sauce and fresh lime (optional).
- If shrimp become too dark and crispy after cooking, reduce the first cook time from 4 minutes down to 3 minutes, if the unit is heated or not.
- To give your shrimp a more golden color, spray with cooking spray or a sprayable version of olive oil in between cook times.
- If looking for ideas to serve with coconut shrimp check out the list of our favorites.