These Chocolate Dipped Oreos are the best. Fast and simple and perfect to grab and enjoy as you’re walking around, too! Looking for an easy dessert for the 4th of July? These Chocolate Dipped Oreos are the best.
I’m a fan of all things Oreos. Vanilla, chocolate, double-stuffed…you name it and I’ll eat it. I pretty much think that Oreos are one of the best cookies out there. And that’s saying a lot.
But one thing that I realized always adds flavor and taste is that a bit of chocolate flavoring can really go far. This also means that you can easily change up the look of your Oreos as well.
Patriotic treats are always on my mind once the 4th of July comes around so I’m so excited that this cookie recipe is one that I can whip up in a short amount of time. I LOVE Oreos.
This is also a simple recipe that the whole family can join in on as well. Since there literally isn’t any baking required at all, it’s all hands on deck for decorating and dipping.
How long do chocolate dipped Oreos last?
Here’s the great part about this dessert. Once you dip and decorate, these cookies will last for up to 2 weeks! As long as you store them in a container with a lid and keep them out of the air, you’ll have no issue keeping them crunchy and fresh.
This means that you can make them fresh for the big Independence Day celebration or you can plan ahead a bit and give you a few days of grace.
Should I refrigerate chocolate-covered Oreos?
You don’t have to! (but you totally can if you want to!) These Oreos can be kept at room temperature or stored in the fridge as well. It all really depends on your preference and what temperature you want to have them at.
What is the best way to melt chocolate for dipping?
Using a microwave is the easiest way to melt chocolate for dipping. It’s fast and simple and lets you use one easy bowl to get it done.
Just make certain to follow the directions on whatever melting chocolate that you’re using for this recipe as they do give the quickest and best advice for how to melt it fast.
Melting the chocolate in the microwave is also easy to clean up as it means that you just have to “dirty” up one bowl to get it done.
How do you thin chocolate for dipping?
If you think that the dipping chocolate is too thick, just add in a tiny bit of melted butter or oil. This is a simple way to thin it out without having to do too much extra work.
Can I leave chocolate covered Oreos out?
Yes, you can leave these sweet treats out of the fridge. Just be certain to store them in a container with a lid to keep them fresh. Some people actually like to put them in the freezer as well because they are really, really good frozen.
It’s really up to you how you store them but the main thing to keep in mind is that you keep them stored in a container with a lid. The air is going to take away the crunch of these Oreos which is the best part!
Oreo Dipped Cookies Ingredients
- 35oz pack of chocolate Double Stuffed Oreos
- 35oz pack of Golden Double Stuffed Oreos
- 10oz package of milk chocolate melting wafers, semi sweet chocolate or dark chocolate
- 10oz package of white chocolate melting wafers
- Red, white & blue sprinkles
We used to take Oreo cookies and dip them into red, white and blue candy melts for a slightly different effect. You can decide which you prefer and get started.
Red, White and Blue Dipped Oreo Cookies
- 1 package OREO cookies
- ½ cup red candy melts
- ½ cup royal blue candy melts
- ½ cup bright white candy melts or white chocolate chips
- red, white and blue sprinkles
- parchment paper
how to dip oreos in chocolate that’s red white and blue
- Line a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour each color of candy melts into separate microwave safe dishes.
- Heat in the microwave safe bowl on high for 1 minute, remove and stir well.
- Heat in 30 second intervals, until fully melted, stirring well between each heat session.
- Once candy is melted, dip cookies halfway into the melted candy, and place on a parchment paper lined tray. Let chocolate set for at least 20 minutes inside your fridge.
- Add sprinkles.
- Allow candy coated cookies to set, and enjoy!
How to Dip Oreos in Chocolate
This recipe is crazy fast and simple to do! Anyone can do it and have amazing results.
Melt the chocolate
The key to melting the chocolate is to use the microwave or a double boiler on low to medium heat. You also need to be certain that you’re stirring and melting the chocolate one flavor at a time.
Don’t burn the chocolate
Trust me, it happens. And when it does there is no coming back from it and the whole thing has to be redone. So make certain that you pay attention and are stirring the whole time.
Layout parchment paper
Parchment or wax paper is going to be your best friend throughout this. Make certain that you have plenty on hand. It’s the quickest way to a fast clean up.
Dipping the Oreos
You’re only going to dip the Oreos halfway down so make a mental note of that. This means that you can easily hold into one side with your fingers while you’re dipping the rest.
Once you dip and have a chocolate coating, add on the chocolate sprinkles or whatever kind of sprinkles you’re using asap.
Vary up the chocolate
You can use white chocolate or milk chocolate for this recipe, it’s totally up to you. Have a taste test and see what you like the best.
White Chocolate Dipped Oreos
As you can see half of the Oreo cookies are dipped in white chocolate which tends to show off colors in the decorations more.
Let the cookies cool
Once you dip the Oreos, they’ll need to harden on the parchment paper for about 30 minutes or so. It’ll be hard to be patient but it’s so worth it.
Tips for Making Half Dipped Oreos
- Don’t own a double boiler? No worries. Place a heat-safe bowl over top a medium bowl and allow it to nest. Place your chocolate inside the bowl and the water in the pot will heat the bottom of the bowl, slowly melting the chocolate inside.
- For this recipe, I highly recommend Ghirardelli Melting Wafers. In my experience, this wafer does the best job at firming quickly and will never require the chocolate to have to be placed in the freezer for firming.
- If you use a brand of melting wafers that do not allow for your chocolate to firm completely after 30 minutes, place in the refrigerator until fully firm.
Have fun with this simple Oreo dessert recipe! I love how versatile it is and how fast and simple it comes together. It’s also a fun way to make a really great-looking dessert. Change up the sprinkles and you can literally make this simple dessert be festive and fun for any time of the year!
More Oreo Desserts
Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- ● 15.35oz pack of chocolate Double Stuffed Oreos
- ● 15.35oz pack of Golden Double Stuffed Oreos
- ● 10oz package of milk chocolate melting wafers
- ● 10oz package of white chocolate melting wafers
- ● Red white & blue sprinkles
- Red, White and Blue Dipped Oreo Cookies1 package OREO cookies½ cup red candy melts½ cup royal blue candy melts½ cup bright white candy meltsred, white and blue sprinklesparchment paper
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients. For this recipe, I recommend pairing while chocolate with Chocolate Oreos and milk chocolate with Golden Oreos.
- Over low-medium heat, begin melting the chocolate wafers using a double boiler
- or a heat-safe bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Begin with one flavor of chocolate at a time,
- pouring it inside the bowl and slowly melting.
- Stir continuously until the chocolate melts fully. Do not mix anything with the melting wafers.
- Once your chocolate has melted completely, remove from heat.
- Place a layer of parchment paper, flat on a counter surface.
- One by one, dip your Oreos half way into the melted chocolate, remove and place on the parchment paper to cool and firm.
- Immediately dust your dipped Oreo with sprinkles.
- Continue dipping the Oreos and covering with sprinkles until all of that flavor of chocolate is gone or until all of that flavor of Oreo is gone. Wash your bowl used for melting and repeat with a new combination.
- Melt other chocolate in double boiler.
- Stir until smooth.
- Dip Golden Oreos in chocolate about half way.
- Immediately place on parchment and add sprinkles.
- Allow all of your cookies to cool for 25-30 minutes in fridge before removing from parchment paper. This will allow the chocolate and sprinkles to fully adhere to each cookie.
- Serve and enjoy every bite.
- ● Don’t own a double boiler? No worries. Place a heat safe bowl over top a medium bowl and allow it to nest. Place your chocolate inside the bowl and the water in the pot will heat the bottom of the bowl, slowly melting the chocolate inside.
- ● For this recipe, I highly recommend Ghirardelli Melting Wafers. In my experience this wafer does the best job at firming quickly and will never require for the chocolate to have to be placed in the freezer for firming.
- ● If you use a brand of melting wafers that does not allow for your chocolate to firm completely after 30 minutes, place in the refrigerator until fully firm.
how to dip Oreos in red, white and blue chocolate
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients. Line a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour each color of candy melts into separate microwave safe dishes. Heat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds, then in 15 second bursts, stirring in between. until totally melted. Once candy is melted, dip cookies halfway into the melted candy.
- Place on a parchment paper lined tray. Add sprinkles.
- Allow candy coated cookies to set inside your fridge for 15 minutes and enjoy every bite!