Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole is easy to prepare and so tasty! Full of your favorite sausage or ground meat, potatoes and onions! A perfect weeknight meal.
If I am using sausage to make this terrific Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole, Ken, my husband prefers Italian sausage and I prefer honey garlic. Honestly though you can use any ground meat and this casserole is delicious every time!I love easy, all in one dinners like this casserole. Perfect served with a salad or all by itself. This is total comfort food for me. I guess every potato dish is.
My grandmother used condensed cream soups for so many things and this is no exception. I have used cream of tomato, celery or mushroom and all taste great. I have to admit, mushroom soup is my favorite. Not only because I love mushrooms but because she used it almost every time she made it.
You have the option of adding a can of corn, peas or beans to this Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole if you wish. I usually do, but not always. Truthfully, sometimes I forget which is amazing considering I have made this so many times! My memory just isn't what it used to be. That is for sure!
Ingredients for Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
- honey garlic or Italian sausage or ground beef
- cream soup
- green onions for garnish
How to make Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
In a large skillet, cook your sausage (or whichever ground meat you are using) until no longer pink.
In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, onion, corn, peas or beans, salt and pepper.
Add your cooked ground meat and potato slices to your large bowl.
Stir until the potatoes are coated and the meat is evenly distributed.
Cover and bake.
Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese is melted and brown.
Let stand before serving.
We love casseroles, or all in one meals, around here and I have listed some of our favorites below! I am hoping you find at least one other you would like to try! I can't wait to hear what you think or did differently!
Other Casserole Recipes to Try
Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole Video
Cheesy Potato Sausage Casserole
Options (choose 1 vegetable)
- 1 cup peas, canned drained
- 1 cup corn, canned drained
- 1 cup beans, canned drained
- green onions, thinly sliced optional for serving
- Set aside an un-greased bread pan.
- In a large skillet, cook your sausage (or whichever ground meat you are using) over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain if necessary and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, onion, optional vegetable (if using) salt and pepper.
- Add your cooked ground meat and potato slices to your bowl and stir until the potatoes are coated and the meat is evenly distributed.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for 1-½ hours or until potatoes are fork tender. I find that the cooking time will depend on which kind of potatoes you use. Just poke the casserole with a fork and if it goes in easily your potatoes are done and the casserole is almost ready!
- Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and brown. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!