This Italian Cheese Bread recipe is the best bread for Grilled Cheese and tastes similar to Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster but in loaf form. It is a quick bread recipe and the perfect addition to any meal. Just wait until you try it.
You are going to love this quick bread recipe for savory Italian cheese bread. It comes together quickly and no special equipment is required. It bakes in a loaf pan.
No rising! No yeast! No kneading! I love a quick bread recipe!
This bread goes all-out on flavor. It's filled to capacity with herbs and cheese, and it makes the perfect side for any meal from seafood to stews and everything in between.
Have you ever come up with an amazing new recipe by accident? That's the case with this Italian cheese bread with herbs. If you've ever been to Red Lobster, you've probably had their Cheddar Bay Biscuits. They're something that you just have to have whenever you go there. At least I do. I have to say, I honestly love those biscuits more than anything else on the menu.
One day, I decided that someone who's been cooking as long as I have should be waiting to go to a restaurant to enjoy a dish that could easily be made at home. So I got to work sussing out exactly what made those biscuits I love so much taste the way they do.
After several failed attempts, I came up with this recipe. This Italian cheese bread recipe is overflowing with the cheesy, herb-filled goodness that I love about Cheddar Bay Biscuits, but they're all contained in an easy-to-cut, easy-to-serve loaf that is perfect for making grilled cheese. You can also slice it, add a little olive oil and garlic, and pop it into the oven for the most AMAZING cheesy garlic bread or crostini.
It's a rich, deep flavor of cheese throughout the dough accented by herbs and jalapenos, if desired. It's a combination that goes perfectly with almost any lunch or dinner. I've even served it at breakfast with eggs and bacon!
Then we tried making grilled cheese with this bread and it was the BEST and I kid you not. To a cheese lover this Italian cheese bread is out of this world good. Especially crispy with some melted cheese in the middle.
That's how deliciously versatile this grilled cheese bread recipe is. I'm super pleased with the results, and I can't wait to share it with all of you.
If you love making your own breads, you need to check out this copycat recipe for Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread and our favorite Banana Bread recipe.
This Italian Cheese Bread is the perfect side to Fried Spaghetti or Spaghetti alla Bolognese or Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This Italian cheese bread is super versatile! Use it to make the ultimate grilled cheese sandwiches, crostini, as a dinner side, or just a delicious snack bread.
- Did I mention that this quick bread recipe tastes a lot like Cheddar Bay Biscuits? The combination of Cheddar cheese and herbs is very similar.
- This from scratch recipe is incredibly easy to make.
- Everyone in the family will love this cheesy Italian bread, even the kids!
Ingredients in Italian Cheese Bread
This homemade Italian Cheese Bread is made from scratch, but it's also very easy. It only takes a few ingredients to make the bread and the herb topping for it. They're all basic kitchen staples, so you probably have everything you need to make this recipe in your kitchen already.
For the Bread
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour is perfect for quick bread recipes like this one.
- Granulated sugar: A little bit of sugar balances out all of the herbs and cheese.
- Fine sea salt: I really prefer a fine sea salt for this recipe, but table salt will work.
- Baking powder: Make sure your baking powder is very fresh, otherwise your bread may not rise.
- Cheddar cheese: Use fresh grated Cheddar. The stuff you buy already grated doesn't melt as well.
- Milk - The richness of whole milk is best for this recipe, but you could get away with 2% milk.
- Egg: Always use large eggs for baking, unless stated otherwise.
- Unsalted butter: Not all brands of salted butter have the same amount of salt. Using unsalted butter helps you control sodium.
- Jalapenos: These are totally optional, but add a nice bit of heat.
For the Topping
- Melted Unsalted butter, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and dried parsley.
How to Make Italian Cheese Bread
Here are the step-by-step photos and instructions for making this quick bread recipe for Italian Cheese Bread. Making this Italian cheese bread is no more difficult than gathering up the ingredients for it. Just mix and bake! For the complete instructions, check the recipe card further down on the page.
For the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray, using a pastry brush brush the spray all over the loaf pan to make sure it is covered, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
4. Add the cheese and stir it together so the cheese is coated in the flour mixture, set aside.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
6. Pour this mixture into the dry and stir it until just combined, a few dry spots are okay.
7. Add the melted butter and mix it in until everything is combined and there are no dry patches.
8. If using, add your jalapenos.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Topping
- While the bread is baking, whisk together the butter, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and dried parsley for the topping, set aside.
2. Place the bread in the loaf pan on a wire rack to cool slightly.
3. Immediately brush the bread with the butter topping.
4. Let the bread cool for five minutes in the pan then take it out of the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
5. Slice and serve.
Don’t have the correct ingredients on hand? Or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this quick cheese bread recipe.
This Italian cheese bread recipe is almost perfect exactly as it is. In fact, I don't recommend changing much about it at all. Perhaps the only changes would be in the seasonings or cheeses.
- Japapenos: Add additional jalapenos for more of a Southwestern flair.
- Parsley: Use an Italian seasoning blend instead of parsley.
Want to personalize this Italian cheese bread recipes? Here are some things you might try.
- Use a combination of different cheeses. Just make sure they are cheeses that melt well such as Fontina, Provolone, and Smoked Gouda to name a few.
- Have some fresh herbs growing in your garden? Don't be afraid to chop some up fresh herbs to add to the bread batter!
- Don't have a loaf pan handy? Try using a muffin pan. I have not tested this method, so adjust the time in the oven accordingly and keep an eye on them.
You only need a few basic kitchen tools to make this quick Italian cheese bread recipe.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Large bowl
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Cooling Rack
- Loaf Pan
Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 3 to 4 days.
Freezer: Wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze for up to one month.
Reheat: To defrost, place your bread in the oven and bake for about five minutes at 325 F. Never defrost your bread on the counter.
- When mixing your batter, mix it quickly. Be careful to not overmix! Your batter will get thick quickly.
- Mix or fold the cheese with a rubber spatula for ease.
- Quick breads are almost foolproof. Just be sure you don't overdue the amount of liquids.
Do you have questions about this Italian cheese quick bread recipe? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about quick breads here.
Cheddar. The tangy taste of Cheddar goes well with the sweeter notes of bread, and it melts well. Cheddar is also great for grilled sandwiches.
If your bread is dense and heavy you may have added too much flour or prepared the bread in an overly warm environment. Also, make sure that your baking powder is not expired.
Quick breads live up to their name. They are so quick and easy to make because they don't require yeast, kneading or extra time to dry.
More Bread Recipes
If you love homemade bread like we do, be sure to try this homemade white bread recipe too.
Italian Cheese Bread (Quick Bread Recipe)
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
For the topping
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- pinch onion powder
- pinch dried parsley flakes
- Get out and measure all of your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray, using a pastry brush brush the spray all over the loaf pan to make sure it is covered, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt,
- Stir until combined.
- Add the cheese.
- Stir it together so the cheese is coated in the flour mixture, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Pour this mixture into the dry.
- Stir it until just combined, a few dry spots are okay.
- Add the melted butter and mix it in until everything is combined and there are no dry patches.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the bread in the loaf pan on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- While the bread is baking, combine butter, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and dried parsley for the topping.
- Whisk until blended. Set aside.
- Immediately brush the bread with the butter topping. Let the bread cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Take it out of the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Slice and serve.
- Enjoy every bite and wait until you make your first grilled cheese! Heavenly!
- This Italian cheese bread tastes similar to Cheddar Bay Biscuits but in loaf form. Extremely moist and flavorful with tons of cheese flavor.
- It is really good warming a slice in the microwave for 15 seconds and then adding more salted butter on top, truly amazing.
- Try making a grilled cheese sandwich.
Other Recipes to Try
Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread Recipe
Blueberry Honey Cornbread Muffins
Brazillian Cheese Bread
The Italian Cheese bread does taste like the original maybe better. I really enjoyed it. We all did. Usually copycat recipes aren’t as good. My family just said your recipe is way better so there you have it. Family is already asking when I’m making more. Next time I’m going to double the recipe and freeze some. Thank you for another keeper!
Karin and Ken
You totally made my day. We think this bread tastes better too! I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to let me know! We love this bread so much I always have some in my freezer! Comes in so handy. Take care and all the best. Karin