This Tripe Berry Trifle recipe is a fresh and delicious dessert that has layers of cake, cheesecake pudding, and fresh strawberry, raspberry and blueberries. Not only is this Berry Trifle simple to make, but it is also light and delicious. Berry Trifle Recipe is assembled in less than 20 minutes. This dessert is bound to be a success on your dessert table.
Trifle is one of my favorite desserts. It is full of all the things that I love. The trifle is filled with a cake base, covered in a creamy pudding or whipped topping layer, and then layers are topped with fresh fruit.
This makes trifles the perfect summer dessert. The light and refreshing taste are excellent to take to potlucks or family gatherings. It travels well in the bowl. Just be sure to keep the bowl upright.
Do you want to know why trifle is my favorite dessert to make? I like trifles because it doesn’t matter how your cake turns out. Have a cake that puffs up in the center? No worries, trifles hide all the mistakes. A trifle recipe is very forgiving and flexible.
Are you hosting a 4th of July party? This trifle would look very festive on your dessert table at your party. Not only do the fresh berries make your trifle festive, but they are also so light and delicious that it makes this dessert the perfect recipe to cool down with on a hot summer day.
What is Trifle
Trifle originated in England in the 18th century. The first trifle consisted of three or four layers. The layers would often be alcohol-soaked cake, a layer of custard, and an additional layer of fresh fruit. If a fourth layer was used, it was a layer of fruit jam. Trifle is a simple dessert that tastes decadent.
What type of cake do I need to make Berry Trifle
I made this delicious layered trifle recipe with angel food cake. If you want to use angel food cake like I did, whip up a box of angel food cake per the directions on the box.
If you want to save a little time, purchase an already baked angel food or pound cake from your local grocery store or bakery. Then all you need to do is dice up the cake.
No need to heat up your house if you use a store-bought cake. If you are purchasing your cake instead of making it yourself, be sure that the cake you are buying is not frosted or glazed.
What layers are in this Berry Trifle Recipe
Berry Trifle is made of four different layers. Each layer starts off with an angel food cake base, then topped with cheesecake pudding, whipped cream, and then colorful fresh berries.
I layered my dessert in the following order: cake, pudding, whipped topping, fruit. Then I repeated my layers three times. It doesn’t matter if you use pudding or whipped topping first.
I just used my pudding first because I like the way it tastes on top of my angel food cake.
Can I use frozen berries in Triple Berry Trifle
No, unfortunately, frozen berries will not work well in a trifle. Frozen berries drain quite a bit as they thaw. Sadly, a watery berry will water down your trifle, causing your cake to become saturated and your pudding and whipped topping layers to become runny.
Fresh fruit should only be used when making a trifle for dessert.
Can I make this berry trifle recipe ahead
Yes, this berry trifle recipe works well when it is made ahead. If you are planning for an event, you want to make your trifle at least two or three hours before your event.
However, you could also make this dish up to 24 hours in advance. If you are making this dessert ahead of your event, be sure to keep your trifle cool and refrigerated.
Never allow your trifle to sit out of the fridge for more than two hours. After two hours, your pudding and whipped topping could start to separate if it is not cold.
Options to make this recipe your own
- Use a different flavored pudding.: You could use vanilla or even banana flavored pudding instead of cheesecake.
- Switch out the cake. I like the fluffy and lightness of the angel food cake, but you can even use a regular yellow cake mix if you have that one hand. For a thicker cake, use a pound cake.
- Use different fruits. The options here are endless here. I don’t recommend using frozen or dried fruit however.
What type of bowl do I need
If you do not have a trifle bowl, you could have a tall clear glass bowl. Look for a deep round dish that is made from clear glass. Here is a trifle bowl that is similar to mine if you are in the market for a trifle bowl.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money unless you want to.
- Store: you can store in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend keeping longer than three days.
- Freeze: I don’t recommend freezing trifle. The pudding does not freeze and thaw well.
Ingredients for Triple Berry Trifle
- 1 premade angel food cake (or you can make your own using a box mix)
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant cheesecake pudding mix, or another flavor
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 oz) tub whipped topping- thawed
- 2 small packages of fresh raspberries
- 1 package fresh blueberries
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries- tops removed and sliced
Directions for Triple Berry Trifle
Step 1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding and milk until smooth. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble.
Step 2. Prepare your berries by washing generously and remove the tops of your strawberries and chop them into small pieces. Add to a bowl and toss to mix.
Step 3. Chop up the angel food cake into bite-size pieces. I cut mine into 2”x 2” cubes.
Step 4. Place ⅓ of the cake pieces in a single layer on the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with ⅓ of the cheesecake pudding and smooth into an even layer.
Step 5. Add ⅓ of the whipped topping on top of the pudding and smooth. Top with about ⅓ of your berries. Repeat for two more layers.
Step 6. Top the cheesecake trifle with the remaining whipped topping and berries.
Step 7. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Step 8. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. After this time, the cake can get soggy.
- Cut the cake with a serrated bread knife to get fewer crumbs to fall out.
- Refrigerate the trifle before serving, this makes serving easier, and the layers hold together better. It also allows the flavors to combine nicely.
Place your angel food cake or pound cake into the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes before cutting it into bite-sized pieces. Freezing the cake until it starts to firm will make for easier cutting. Not only will it be easier to cut your angel food cake it will also leave fewer crumbs for you to have to clean up.
Now that you have all the directions to make this sweet and creamy dessert, it’s time to get into the kitchen and whip up a bowl. Bring this trifle along with you to summer cookouts and pool parties to help your friends and family cool off with a tasty and refreshing treat.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
- Berry Trifle with Angel Food Cake
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake Trifle
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle
- Caramel Brownie Trifle
Triple Berry Trifle with Cheesecake Layer
- Trifle Bowl
- 1 premade angel food cake or you can make your own using a box mix
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz) instant cheesecake pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tub (16 oz) whipped topping- thawed
- 2 small packages fresh raspberries
- 1 package fresh blueberries
- 1 pound fresh strawberries- tops removed and sliced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding and milk until smooth. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble.
- Prepare your berries by washing generously and remove the tops of your strawberries and chop into small pieces. Add to a bowl and toss to mix.
- Chop up the angel good cake into bit size pieces. I cut mine into 2”x 2” cubes.
- Place ⅓ of the cake pieces in a single layer on the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Top with ⅓ of the cheesecake pudding and smooth into an even later.
- Add ⅓ of the whipped topping on top of the pudding and smooth.
- Top with about ⅓ of your berries.
- Repeat for two more layers. Top the trifle with the remaining whipped topping and berries.
- Refrigerate the trifle before serving for 2-3 hours, this makes serving easier, the layers hold together better and allows the flavors to combine nicely. Enjoy every bite!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. After this time, the cake can get soggy
- Cut the cake with a serrated bread knife to get less crumb fall out