Spaghetti stuffed subs take classic meatball subs somewhere they've never been. These delicious subs feature meatballs, sauce, cheese and spaghetti!
I absolutely love these subs because they're a classic spaghetti dinner combined into one sandwich. They're literally everything we love about spaghetti dinners.
Adults and kids love this easy dinner.
Stuffed Spaghetti Subs
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make these easy spaghetti subs.
- sub buns
- spaghetti noodles
- frozen meatballs
- spaghetti sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- garlic butter, if desired
See the recipe card below for exact quantities.
Making this recipe is an incredibly easy affair. It only takes a few steps and a few minutes.
Step 1: Cook the Noodles and Make the Meatballs
Cook the noodles according to the package directions for al dente, then drain them and dump them into a large bowl. Prepare the meatballs according to the package directions and set them aside.
Step 2: Add the Sauce
Add the spaghetti sauce to the cooked spaghetti and meatballs. Toss with tongs until fully coated.
Step 3: Toast the Buns, If Desired
Split the buns in half and cover with garlic butter.
Add ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese to each side or more. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
Place them under a preheated broiler until the cheese is melted with a few golden spots. Remove them from the oven and place them on a plate.
Step 4: Make the Subs
Using tongs, transfer ¼ of the spaghetti onto each sub and add 4 meatballs. Sprinkle with mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
Broil until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Hint: Keep a close eye on your subs when toasting them so they don't burn.
Don't have the correct ingredients on hand or want to change something up? Here are some helpful tips for you to change this Stuffed Spaghetti Subs recipe.
- Sub Buns - Use hoagie, hot dog, sausage, hamburger or your favorite hard or soft rolls instead
- Toast or Not to Toast - I leave the decision up to you but I prefer to toast my buns and melt cheese on top of each side under the broiler. My husband and son prefer this sandwich exactly as shown
- Spaghetti Noodles - Use linguini, fettuccini (tagliatelle), angel hair (capellini), vermacelli, bucatini, rotini, penne or your favorite pasta
- Vegetarian - Use a plant-based meatball will make this dish this vegetarian.
- Spaghetti Sauce - Use your favorite brand or variety, even alfredo sauces work beautifully too
- Cheese - No mozzarella? No worries. Use provolone, burrata, scamorza, white cheddar, gouda, parmesan or your favorite cheese instead
- Garlic Butter - Use regular butter instead if you're using butter at all
Want to personalize this Spaghetti Stuffed Subs recipe? Here are some of my tried and true tips for changing up this recipe.
- Spicy - Add chili pepper flakes, use diced or chopped cayenne, poblano, tabasco, or your favorite hot peppers to add heat to this sandwich
- Seasoning - Add some extra Italian seasoning, garlic powder or your favorites to your sauce to add more flavor
- Loaded - Add sauteed onions, sweet peppers, shredded carrots, celery and mushrooms
- Meat Lovers - Add chopped ham, cooked sausage, cooked bacon, cooked ground beef or any other meat you want to include
- Canned Spaghetti and Meatballs - To make these the fastest sandwiches on earth to make simply heat a can of spaghetti and meatballs and add to bun
- Mini Italian Bread or French Bread Loaf - make your own bread boat or spaghetti boat just the way you want it
- Garlic Bread - Create a spaghetti stuffed garlic bread. With or without cheese you won't be disappointed.
If you love recipes like this, you may also enjoy our Cheesy Pizza Spaghetti Casserole or Meat Lovers Pizza Pasta Casserole. My son loves making a sandwich out of that meat lover's casserole and we had to include a picture.
Store the spaghetti and meatballs in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Reheat and place on buns when ready to serve again.
What To Serve With Spaghetti Stuffed Subs
A super delicious sub like this deserves an equally amazing side to go with it. For that reason we created a most excellent list of sides. Something that will elevate your sub to next level goodness and make others sing your praises!
This is an incredibly easy recipe. It's so easy, in fact, I only have 2 tips.
- Shred your own cheese, as store-bought shredded cheese includes additives and your cheese won't melt as it should
- Always keep an eye on your buns when toasting so they don't burn.
Do you have questions about spaghetti stuffed subs? Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about spaghetti subs.
You can make the spaghetti and meatballs ahead of time, but only put the subs together when you're ready to serve them.
The spaghetti and meatballs will last for 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat them and add them to the buns when ready to serve again.
Place the spaghetti and meatballs in a covered saucepan over medium-low heat until heated through.
More Spaghetti Recipes
Do you like spaghetti? Here are some recipes you may also like to try.
Spaghetti Stuffed Subs
Ready to get cooking? Remember that you can print this recipe if you would like.
Spaghetti Stuffed Subs
- 4 6 inch sub buns
- 2 cups spaghetti noodles prepared
- 16 meatballs frozen, prepared
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded, more or less to taste
- ½ cup parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- ½ cup garlic butter if desired
- Get out and measure your ingredients.
- Bake meatballs according to package directions.
- Prepare spaghetti according to package directions to al dente.
- Drain and dump spaghetti into large bowl. Add spaghetti sauce to noodles. Toss with tongs until coated. Add meatballs and toss until coated in sauce.
Toast Bun with or without cheese option
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Split buns in half and spread garlic butter on each half, if desired. Cover each side with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese or more on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven under broiler for a few minutes and cheese is melted with a few golden spots. Remove from oven. Place on plates.
- Use tongs.
- Transfer ¼ of the mixture onto each sub bun.
- Sprinkle mozzarella or parmesan cheese over top of each sub.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy every bite.